Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

l3muri
Journeyman III

Proper drivers for RX 480

Win10 10.0.17763 Build 17763
MSI BaseBoard Product    Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) -> latest BIOS
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

MSI RX 480 OC 8Gb

4K Philips Display - using displayport

I've been banging my head for the past 48h trying to make my RX 480 to work with Windows due to some "Windows only" software that I need for my job. I have tried the "autodetect utility" and the following driver versions:

Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.2

Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1

#win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.8.1-aug17

#win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.9.1-sept12

#win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.10.1-oct18

#win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.11.1-nov8

#win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.12.1-nov29

I made a clean windows install everytime -it takes a lot less than the "uninstall procedure". The win and driver installs were made in "offline" mode. Sadly, the results were the same for all drivers- black screen.

Installing the Windows 10 in "online mode" and letting Windows do its thing resulted in a "nerfed" 4K 30hz resolution. When I try to create a custom 4k 60hz or 59hz resolution from the Radeon settings, I'm getting: "The custom resolution is not compatible with this display".

I thought, hey - it's an old GPU - let me try Windows 7. Surprise, I got the same black screen using the 2 latest versions. I paid $500 back in the day for this gpu - the drivers worked out of the box in Win7 and Win8 with a proper 4K 60hz resolution using the exact same monitor. Then I switched to Ubuntu for a few years. I can get 4k 60hz in Ubuntu out of the box only with kernel 13.xxx - but that's another discussion that's totally irrelevant.

Does anyone know of a working Windows driver for this card? From what I've read on various websites, there are a lot of people complaining about it. The easy solution would be to replace this card with a new one. If it gets to that, it most certainly won't be one with an AMD chipset.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

Try 18.3.4. It was my go-to driver until 19.2.2.

Or, how about just using a normal 1920x1080 display for now?

Sorry, that's all I got. Good luck!

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
l3muri
Journeyman III

I just tried it. Surprisingly, this one actually installed without going into black screen half way. However, upon reboot - the max resolution I can get it is 2048 x 1080. There is a message in the Radeon settings saying: "The system has detected a failure and cannot set the requested resolution....." So, epic fail again.

I opened a ticket with AMD support last night, so far they haven't gotten back with any driver and I'm starting to think they won't because there isn't such a thing.

As to "how about just using a normal 1920x1080 display for now?", I'm sure that you meant is a joke, but frankly, just for a bit, I found it pretty insulting. I'm going to wait a few more days and if no solution will be provided by either AMD or it's "support forums", I'll just go ahead and order a properly supported video card without ever looking back. 

0 Likes

Very sad that you find unsolicited help/troubleshooting insulting when it comes to helping with job requirements.

You're on your own buddy.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

Wow...you are definitely doing something wrong...my RX-480 8GB card has been running fine for the last *year* (when I purchased it) with Windows 10x64, and on every Insider's Windows build I've installed (every one in the fast ring)--additionally, in December '18 I bought an RX-590 and have been running an RX-590/480 8GB Crossfire/D3d12 multi-GPU system, now running the Adrenalins 19.2.2,  without difficulty ever since.  No problems here, that's all I can say...;)  Hope you can figure it out--it's definitely something to do with your hardware config on your end, no question about that at all.  The only thing I can possibly think of is that somehow you have a defective card--the warranty on all of them is years' long--so I'd do an RMA with your vendor ASAP.

I don't know what I could be doing wrong, since all I did was create a bootable win10/win7 and installed the drivers above in offline mode. I could have been made to believe that i have a "faulty hardware configuration", had i not have used the exact same system with win 7 / win 8 a few years back. As i said above, the 4k 60hz worked without any hiccups.

Can you please confirm that you get 4K 60hz?

0 Likes
l3muri
Journeyman III

I'm sorry, "buddy", but 4K has been around for many years - you can already call it "the standard". Imagine telling me to buy a new monitor because AMD is not capable of reproducing what used to work in the past. Why would I buy a new monitor, when I can buy another gpu? 

Trying to shame me for stating the obvious, only puts more nails into AMD's coffin. After this experience, I cannot ever see myself buying another AMD product and I'm sure that there are many others like me.

0 Likes

Have you first tried to update the Monitor's driver, if any new ones?  Also have you tried to double check your configuration on your Monitor to work with the proper resolutions.

By the way, AMD latest Drivers work best when Intel Graphics and Chip sets have the latest drivers installed. You can download and use Intel's own updater called Intel Driver and Support Assistant to properly update all your Intel drivers including your Intel APU.

After updating all the Intel drivers including the Intel APU, try doing a clean installation of the AMD Drivers again and see if it makes any difference.

Also the RX 4xx and RX 5xx needs to be configured properly for it to be more stable. It may help prevent the black screens using AMD Wattman as per this kingfish‌ instructions:

AMD graphics performance 

In the game profile:

In wattman, set Temperature to manual, lower slider to about 75c-80c.

Power Limit set to the maximum + value (all the way to the right)

Click 'apply' at top of page.

Do not touch any other setting...leave all at default (automatic)

0 Likes

There are no w10 drivers for my monitor on Philips's page, but windows identifies it correctly.

I would love to try out the configuration. However, the moment i install the drivers, the screen goes black and windows wont start again. I tried updating using intel's autoupdate before installing the drivers with the same result.

0 Likes

Dual boot? Have you disabled fast startup?

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer 

If you're thinking about dual-booting Windows 10 with an older version of Windows or another operating system, you might want to heed How-To Geek's advice:

When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you're dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

• When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on
0 Likes

I have not used dual boot, I just made a regular install.

0 Likes

Still should disable it.  Takes seconds to enable or disable. You have to restart computer after the change.

0 Likes
l3muri
Journeyman III

Needles to say, the fast startup thing is not working. To be honest, I don't see how that could have been the problem since the screen goes black halfway trough the install. Please find bellow AMD's official response - these people are clueless. As they say, fool me once ....

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200863435]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the response.

I see that you are still getting the black screen during driver install. In this case, I request you to try the GPU on a different computer and check the status.

If you have the same issue on another computer as well, please claim warranty for the graphic card by contacting the graphic card manufacturer (Asus, XFX, MSI etc.)

Thank you for contacting AMD.

0 Likes