Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

markfresh
Journeyman III

Problems vith vega 56 and Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Hi,

I bought a vega 56 a week ago and have yet to get it stable with no crash.

The main problem was it was throttling then crashing etc.

After trying drivers and windows reset and proving my setup runs fine with my old gtx 1060 i thought it was the vega card, i packed it in its box ready to send back, i can go further in depth about this when needed but been literally trying for a week to get this card to work and typed a novel in other forums.

Today id have one more try ,after yet another ddu i trying the amd auto detect function ,i had two choices so picked recommended.

This worked, for 2 hours , everything ran , games , videos , u name it perfectly, i felt relived .....until a  Error:

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M crash.

I had one of these once when i got the card , but then only hard crashes.

which would lead me to belive now it might just be drivers, i yesterday installed "whocrashed, here are the reports:

On Sat 6/07/2019 8:36:10 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\070619-17296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x40CA5)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF9D075D3C8080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 6/07/2019 8:36:10 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x6E9A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFF9D075D3C8080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0344035.inf_amd64_2f25d95c250a5c18\B344048\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

I then ddu uninstalled , and used the auto detect amd software, but this time got no choice , so have installed what it picked, and as im typing this its been running for 10 mins at idle

Here is a pic of when it was running fine from gpu-z(current reading not avg etc)...  heaven benchmark

bench mark 1 vega 56.gif

So as im new to amd hardware and software , could anyone please guide me in my next steps to hopefully fix this for good

Thanks mark

0 Likes
12 Replies

Is it a new or used card ?

Did you remove all Nvidia software/drivers (used DDU to remove any left overs).

Some more INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION may help someone offer suggestions. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

Hi thanks for the reply ,

The card is 9 days old , and yes i removed all drivers with ddu in safe mode with internet unplugged.

I have been able to make some progress today.

Since i got the card ive left it on stock settings and on balanced , i noticed the fans came on automatically and seemed to be doing there job , my temps seemed ok on basic monitoring.

I then read about possible crashes because of temp and overheating the chip.I went to change the fan speed and it was not an option even on custom, i tried a later realese of drivers and set a fan curve starting at about 2500 min.

Since this i have not had a throttle or stuck in thread error which is great and this lasted for about 2 hours after 3dmark benchmarks and playing world of warcraft.

After powering down for 2 hours , i have now been playing the same game and have had 3 instances where the screens have frozen requiring restart.Twice i was afk and once i wasnt)

I have gone into windows power options and followed the steps to try to rectify this but it happened again , i have just now tried a different driver version as i stumbled across it by accident.

It stated this which caught my eye as i have 3 monitors and freezing at idle "

• Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience higher than expected memory clocks at idle or desktop with multi-display system configurations.

I just ran 3 mark benchmark with no trouble and got a score of 6076.

Another thing that concerns me even though im new to higher end cards and also amd , is that the hotspot sometimes seems high.

I have gpu-z temp settings set to max , and have got 72 when playing games , and 80 during bench mark , but my max gpu temp was 57.

I feel either im getting close to solving this , or maybe im temporally fixing a bad card.

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

Also during web browsing and gaming my temp is not going above 45

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

gpu benchmark sat night.gif

This screen shot is of the benchmark , also i did not run my fans at 100% during bench test

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

edit , sorry disregard the avg settings for everything as its been idle since ive typed this all out , it was the max hotspot i was worried about , also in regards to the gpu draw i have a corsair 650w 80+ gold , i imagine that that is an ok draw?

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

Edit agin

I was just thinking maybe all this and im hoping is driver related i.e

>Bad drivers from the start causing crashes.

>Later drivers stopping crashes and not the fan speed ( if you look at my first gpu-z pic gpu temp and hotspot are 54 and 56)

(maybe the hotspot difference is because test one was on heaven and test 2 on 3dmark which i think pushes harder)

>And screen freeze is unrelated to the card.

0 Likes

Sorry, I should have asked, did you buy the card new (from a store) or used (from private sale).

Still need your System Specs. Info. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

Hi, card was bought brand new from store, and system info 

gigabyte Z270-hd3 motherboard

16gb ram

intel i7-7700 3.6gb processor

2x ssd

1x aoc 32" 2560x1440 monitor ( using display port)

2x aoc 27" 1920x1080 monitor ( using display port)

corsair TX 650M 80+gold psu

soundblast audigy fx soundcard

4x rgb case fans

Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb

0 Likes
keny2323
Journeyman III

Hey man! I have the exact same psu and I'm too having issues with my vega 56. I initially had "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" crashes and after a while it just straight up froze without any BSOD. Have you found a solution? 

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

HI keny2323,

Mine ended up being a faulty card , i got a replacement and it works flawlessly. 

0 Likes

I returned my 56 and bought a used vega 64, no issues whatsoever. Thanks for your answer, if you didn't reply I probably would have returned my psu which would have got me nowhere.

0 Likes
markfresh
Journeyman III

Awesome mate

0 Likes