cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

trumpetman
Journeyman III

Problems installing Adrenalin on Windows 10

Have tried multiple times to install Adrenalin (both 19.7.5 and 19.5.2) for my RX 580 on my windows 10 machine (build 1903). Each time it freezes on the "detecting hardware" screen if I select express install and freezes on the similar "getting drivers" screen if I select custom install. After each failed attempt I remove all traces of AMD software from my PC using DDU and do a restart. I have tried:

-Safe Mode 

-Disconnecting from the internet before install

-Removing GPU and placing into different PCIe slots

-Turning off Windows Security for install

-Turning off Windows Auto Driver Update  

I have tried combinations of everything above and always use DDU after each failed attempt. I decided to let Windows install drivers for me and it put me on a Crimson driver from 2017 (22.19.162.4 is what Windows tells me).

Nothing is working and I am getting really frustrated with this. It is a really clean Windows install I did on a brand new SSD on Monday and the only things I have installed are Steam, Discord, and a few games from Steam. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7 Replies

You sure sound like you did the normal things that work to solve these kind of problems.

After installing Windows 1903 did you do all updates before installing the AMD driver. That may be key to the success, but your is not the first I have heard of this phenomenon.

Usually the things you already did are what work.

My RX 580 worked on 1903 but it was in the machine running 1809 and I installed a 1903 compatible driver before upgrading to 1903.

If you don't want to start over with a fresh install on that SSD and just want to test, if you have another HD available do a clean install to it, do every possible update and make sure you are clicking for it to check again, because it will say it is up to date when really it is not. You have to keep clicking until it truly comes up and finds no updates. Then install that AMD driver with the internet disabled again, you can even disable the Windows Update service to make sure and see what you get.

Either way report back what you find. It can only help others knowing what did and did not work.

Good luck!

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s completely up to date. I upgraded my old HDD to an SSD and just did a fresh install (no cloning) on Monday. Only one update cycle was required. Installed the card today replacing my old GTX 660. I used DDU to remove all traces of NVidia before swapping in the new card. I really don’t know what else to try.

0 Likes

@pokester

Seriously, that is a thing that people have to do to avoid having problems installing AMD drivers that have been tested internally by a development team? What the..

0 Likes

Preaching to the choir. Trust me I am the first one that doesn't get why things don't just install then work at defaults once they do. AMD doesn't explain any of their rhyme or reasoning with this community. All we know are the tried methods that help people get things working to some degree at times. A lot of us don't understand why things have not worked as they should pretty much for about 2 years since the Wattman drivers came on the scene. Plus I will throw out that from what I have seen with the amount of older but still supported cards that the drivers have crippled in the past couple years, I'm pretty sure there isn't any wide spread testing of the drivers going on beyond the specific issue on the specific card they are working on at the time. 

0 Likes

I've been having the same issue for almost a week. 

I have a Ryzen 7 2700x & the RX VEGA 64 on a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 motherboard. 

My computer randomly had an atikmdag error one day and I had to re-install windows from a USB because the system couldn't boot or restore properly. 

Afterwards I re-installed Win10 and updated everything, then installed the latest chipsets and drivers for my CPU / GPU

The chipsets installed fine but no matter what order or fashion I download any recent versions of the graphics driver (AMD Adrenalin), my computer always ends up freezing or hanging either during or after the install. 

I've cleaned everything with DDU while in safe mode, then restart and re-installed everything but it still doesn't work.

I've re-installed Win10 on two separate drives and both have the same exact issue. 

I've updated the BIOS and even changed certain settings in the BIOS. I thought I was on to something, but no matter what settings I change it always ends up freezing because of some issue I can't figure out.

Tomorrow I'll redownload everything regularly and see what the event viewer log says, then repost the results here.

If anybody has any suggestions I'm open to anything. I bought my components Nov'18; I doubt anything has failed already -- but not as much as I doubt I'll get a refund lol.

Best I can offer at this point is to make sure you talk to the support departments of who made you equipment and AMD: Online Service Request | AMD 

I would not keep any of this past you possibility to return it if that date has not already passed if it were me. Unfortunately being an early adopter comes with many pitfalls at time but seems to be a continuing trend with AMD the past couple years. My guess is with new AIB GPU and Motherboard revisions this will get better and not like to long a time frame. That doesn't mean it will help those fist pieces of hardware sold.

Good luck!

mysticode
Adept I

Just tested out the 4GB version of MSI RX 580 (on loan from a friend, I have the 8GB version) in my system, and within an hour or two I had the same frozen screen required a forced shutdown, with subsequent Wattman recovery notifications. No BSOD dumps to diagnose with.

DDU'd and installed an Nvidia 1070ti (also on loan) with latest drivers, and so far testing has gone very well (fingers crossed). No hiccups, freezes, or anything close to the problems I had on my Radeon card(s)+drivers. Still doing more testing, but I'll keep you all up to date.

A reminder that I am on Windows 10 1903, and didn't have any issues with Radeon cards before 1903.

0 Likes