cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

LuchitoKimmy
Journeyman III

Problem with my RX 5500XT black screen when install drivers and crash on Windows startup

Hello, my name is Luciano.

I bought an AMD RX 5500 XT video card about 2 months ago, the graphics worked correctly the first weeks of use, but suddenly a Windows 10 update caused my PC to freeze completely. After this event, every time I turned on the computer, in the system startup process, it would freeze, and the only solution I had is to restart the computer 4 times until I could start in safe mode. Once I was in safe mode I proceeded to uninstall the drivers for my video card, once this was done the Windows startup did not freeze, when installing the drivers again when the process goes halfway, my screen gets in black and does not return, I restart the computer and again the system freezes at startup.

I took the video card to a technician and he told me that it was not a problem with the board itself, but with the software, and I really don't know what to think, I've already tried making a CMOS, cleaning my pc, formatting Windows, using different versions of the operating system and drivers, update the BIOS and processor chipsets and nothing.

I need help with this problem, I don't know if it will be a problem with my GPU or with Windows or with the AMD drivers, I am open to hearing all kinds of opinions and solutions, although the only solution that I see viable now is to change the GPU because only what I'm getting are more and more problems that I can't find a solution or logic for.

PC Specs:

MOBO: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS
CPU: RYZEN 5 2600
GPU: RX 5500 XT
RAM: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB 3200MHZ DDR4
POWER SUPPLY: GIGABYTE PB500

Greetings and I hope I can fix this problem I'm having.

Luciano.

0 Likes
5 Replies
hart2511
Journeyman III

Hi Luciano,

I had exactly the same - bought the card in Nov 2020, worked perfectly and suddenly in Feb 2021 it exactly behaved the way you described. I tried several things, installing a fresh windows installation onto a new SSD, put it into another mainboard, changed power supply, etc... - nothing worked - after installing drivers and updates of Win10 it always freezed booting up Windows.

Finally, I sent it back to the dealer today!

Best regards,

Michael

0 Likes
hart2511
Journeyman III

Hi Luciano,

I have exactly the same - worked for two months - now freezes Win10 boot screen. Tried a new win10 installation, tried it in another computer, new power supply, etc... - always the same.

Sent it back today.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Likes

exactly the same problem! working fine one day and now it doesn't. found this (see you tube link), it keeps being a temp fix then a new windows update comes along and i'm back to the black screen of death  https://youtu.be/RXVHgW5ovzM 

0 Likes
lisai9093
Journeyman III

I have exactly same problem on my MSI RX 5500 XT 4GB. I managed to fix the problem flash VBIOS from Sapphire brand using amdvbflash 2.93 tool. Now no more freeze and black screen!

0 Likes
yongju29
Journeyman III

Hi! I solved this. I've been mounths trying! So, its easy and I was really frustraded!  Open the msconfig, goes to services tab and disable the "AMD Crash Defender Service". I did this  and its become to normal. I have a printscreen when happened and the a message appeared, "We detected a driver timeout...", so, its a amd crash defender bug, looking for this message I solved this. I hope to be helpful.

Sorry about my bad english.

Tattooist and computer enthusiast
0 Likes