Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SBL-Multimedia
Journeyman III

Problem with HIP for Blender Cycles under Linux

Hey Guys,

i have so many Problems with the HIP for Blender under Linux (UBUNTU LTS 20.04).

I installed the Driver 22.10 for Ubuntu LTS... correctly, Blender is listing my 6900XT. All is alright then i start the Renderviewport. I can move the Camera and all is fast and it renders but if i change a Material or switch HDRI maps, the Display freezes, short Blackscreen and Display is back but i can't do anything. Music or Videos playing further but i can't do anything on the Desktop i have to reset the Workstation or switch to another TTY to reboot the System.

Is there any Troubleshooting?

I love your Cards guys, i really do, but the Support for Linux is a Total Mess. Please guys do something about that.

Best Regards

Sebastian

From SBL-Multimedia

13 Replies
XDM-inc
Adept I

im having the same issue here, if i try to switch to cycles with HIP enabled i will work for a little bit then crashes the whole display driver and i have to reboot

im using manjaro KDE

I have the same in Ubuntu 22.04 HIP works for me only in the official standalone version from the official site does not work with Flatpak, for example. But also there are problems with viewport. Was it somehow possible to solve the problem? Do you think they will fix it in the new version of Blender 3.5? Or is there a better way to install the driver?

0 Likes
joni_999
Journeyman III

Hi,

a few people have this issue on their 6900XT and 6800XT, but so far official help was refused, because only a few -mostly Enterprise Distros like RHEL/SLES- are actually officially supported by ROCm (the part of the AMD Driver you need for HIP in Blender).

We have talked about the issue here:

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/cycles-amd-hip-device-feedback/21400

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/blender-amd-and-opencl/40199/21

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/how-can-i-get-started-with-blender-cycles-hip-rendering/24705/https:...

This is the issue-ticket on the official driver-gitlab - I invite anyone to join and share their experience so this issue gets more traction and official attention:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2145

0 Likes

No Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 is officially is officially suppoprted but it doesn't work. I think that AMD do not care of their customers whant they got the money from them.

XDM-inc
Adept I

Why do many developers do this to us Linux non enterprise users? they neglect the general Linux users and stick to obscure Linux distros. That aside, what's the story for windows then? I tried the very same project file in windows blender and it still crashed the same way, Although not windows but just the gpu driver instead.

0 Likes

It's probably just easier for the devs to support just the Enterprise distros because they are the most stable and don't change software package-versions and kernel versions that often.

Most of the time "general" Linux-users still profit from bug-fixes meant for enterprise-distros though - (that's why I reopened the bug report again when I was able to replicate the issue on SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop(SLED).

I'm pretty sure if they fix it for the Enterprise-Distros (Ubuntu,SLED,RHEL) it will work with something like Kubuntu/OpenSUSE(Leap)/maybe fedora) too.

Do you have an RDNA2 GPU too? If so you might very well have a very similar issue on windows and it would most likely warrant a separate bug-report from mine (although I have no idea where you could open the ticket for the windows driver)

I'm asking about the GPU, because I remember a separate bug that was reported on RDNA1 GPUs that should be fixed in the newest ROCm as far as I know.

XDM-inc
Adept I

i Hope they get this sorted out for you guys, i went back to Nvidia now, i got work  I need to get done.

mikosenigma
Adept I

I have exactly the same problem in viewport with HIP rendering enabled. Do you guys think this will be fixed in the upcoming version of Blender 3.5?

0 Likes
moddo
Journeyman III

I think they've got us somewhere in the back. I now, bare instalation on Manjaro, Blender 3.5.0, HW AMD 7 5800X, 64GB DDR4, AMD RX5700XT or AMD RX6800XT. Result the same. I move the texture colors, move the scene for a while, it freezes, goes black then the old VESA screen and error message about wrong directory rights to save the error message appears and restarts Manjaro from the password. All tested 8-apr to 10-apr-2023,. Not working Flatpak distribution, Manjaro comunitni, build from AUR, just directly downloaded from Blender site with softwareGL but it can't be used.

0 Likes
mikosenigma
Adept I

at the moment a workaround for the problem is to disable the overlay in the blender preview panel. After my short tests it seems to work, the preview in viewport works and does not crash the system. At the moment there is no better solution. Some stubborn user has even made a simple addon to Blender to disable overlay automatically in cycles preview. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2145?fbclid=IwAR3TeAwpQ-1vqrH0AHEaqWqH9CJSzg2ZpE8oBr...

There is a link and an exemption at the bottom of this forum. AMD it's time for you to make your move. We are really looking forward to improvement and approaching Linux users the same way as the rest of us. We are the same customers as everyone else. Blender will soon become the industry standard for frelancers. If you don't want to lose this group then it's time to act. It would be silly if Intel was the first to release RT support for its cards in Blender.

Absolutely. This behaviour is completely ununderstandable. Maybe the idea is to force users to switch to windows since the pro drivers are really fast ?

mikosenigma
Adept I

Is there any new news regarding viewport crashing when rendering GPU from HIP? I have the latest ROCm 5.6 on Ubuntu and nothing has changed. for a while it looked like the viewport was not crashing, but when it first happened it now freezes the gpu after a short while every time. This forum thread has been going on since 2021. What is the reason that this problem cannot be fixed for such a long time? After all, it makes it impossible to use the program normally. This is how AMD is losing its reputation among Open Souce users.

0 Likes
moddo
Journeyman III

Since version 5.5, everything works without errors. I work in Manjaro, I have no problem anymore. I mean since May 2023