cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bp787
Journeyman III

problem installing 20.20 for linux: amdgpu dkms failed for running kernel RHEL 7.8

I am on RHEL 7.8 with kernel 3.10.0-1127

I am trying to install amd pro version 20.20-1048554 for an AMD Lexa PRO Radeon 550  i have tried both the pro and non pro versions.  I have also tried 20.10.

I get the same error:  amdgpu dkms failed for running kernel each time.  I have DKMS installed and all of the AMD packages seem to install correctly.

upon reboot, i get the RHEL splash screen but then it fails back to a terminal screen.  I have seen a few other reports on this with no real solution.  I could possibly try updating to a 4.x kernel, but for many reasons, i'd rather not.

Appreciate any help!

0 Likes
2 Replies
bp787
Journeyman III

so I re-installed my OS with a vanilla RHEL 7.8 install.  I was able to get the driver to install without the dkms error.

However, the system either completely fails to load or crashes as it tries to get to the gnome login screen.  

I'm guessing this may have something to do with the hybrid graphics on the Dell lattitude 7424.  I have tried disabling the intel graphics, disabling the AMD graphics, etc... from the kernel options at boot.  Also tried modeset/nomodeset options.  no dice.  

Any help/suggestions?

0 Likes
bp787
Journeyman III

Bumping for support.  I have updated to 20.30, and I'm still having the same issues with RHEL 7.8.   Anyone have ANY suggestions?

0 Likes