Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

drproud
Adept II

Probably a fix for the crash and blackscreen problems

hi first of all sorry for my english , english is not my native lenguage

i just wanted to share something that i did that has fix my problems with the crashes and blackscreen freezes ,like alot of you guys i was having that freez and blackscreen problem with my Rx 5700 Xt Red Devil Edition and it was driving me nuts anyway after weeks of trying i think i manage to fix the problem i played yesterday Red Dead Redemption 2 for like 4 hours with out a crash or anything i also play BFV for like 2 and half hours and no crash everything was smooth the day before yesterday also i played BFV , Red dead 2 and The witcher 3 for hours with out a crash or black freez screen or any bluescreen problems and you guys wont believe what the problem was atleast for me and i hope it fix the problem for you guys as well 

first if you have any drivers installed like 19.12.1 or any drivers DO NOT USE DDU to uninstall your drivers please use the AMD utility you can download it from here - https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amdcleanuputility.exe 

i read from someone here on the forums i think that DDU doenst delete all the right Registry.

second install the your latest drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support   

after that restart your pc and now comes the big part im 100% if not 90% sure most of you use Discord 

Open Discord 

Go to settings , appearance , then disable Hardware Acceleration.

what this does is it uses your GPU to make Discord Smoother

after i turned this off all my problems went away i really dont need hardware acceleration sinds i dont see any difference between on and off it might be a bug or something i dont know whats causing the problem with AMD cards , because when i had my gtx 980ti i never had a problem with discord

anyway right now im enjoying my RX 5700 Xt with the latest drivers 20.1.1 with out a problem.

i hope it helps for those having problems with crashes and blackscreen and all that

i will keep this post updated .....PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update #1    3 days with out a crash everything is working fine

another tip -  for those who use Razer Synapse please remove it from your AMD Radeon Software 

open Radeon software go to gaming from there right click on razer synapse and remove it 

for some reason the amd radeon software  detects synapse as a game and it keeps running even if you not playing any games

this also may cause problems with your games sinds it force your gpu to use more power just in case please remove it...

Update #2  i can confirm that hardware accelaration in any program causes problems for example in google chrome i was getting freezing and crashes after disabling hardware accelaration no more crashes or freezes.

i also use VLC media player and i was getting freezing and crashes everytime i tried to fast foward a movie or a videoclip but after disabling hardware accelaration no more crashes with VLC media player so yeah i can confirm something is really wrong with AMD drivers and hardware accelaration so please AMD FIX IT ASAP

12 Replies
lago34
Journeyman III

I dont use Discord by the way... And the damn black screen still occurs.

0 Likes

then in that case try to see if you have any software that uses your GPU like discord does believe me thit is my 3rd day with out a crash the only problem i have is in Red Dead 2 if i use Vulkan the game gets a error ERR_GFX_STATE but i think its a problem with the game it self not the drivers 

0 Likes

by the way lago34‌ do not use DDU to uninstall your drivers use the AMD utility 

0 Likes
smithchrism
Adept II

Wow.  I'm glad you figured out your problem.  I don't use discord so I did everything except make changes in this.  If there is anything else I can change, I am not aware of it.

I did not know AMD had a utility to clean up everything.  So I downloaded, uninstalled my drivers and rebooted, used the utility and rebooted, then installed the newest drivers.  

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me so I ended up heading back to the pre-Adrenalin 2020 drivers.  

It was a nice thought though.  Thanks for the info.

I really hope AMD sorts this mess out.  If not, I will head back to Nvidia.  Plain and simple.

Chris Smith

yeah bro its been 3 days now with out a crash everything working fine i play red dead 2 with almost everything on Ultra settings at a resolution of 2560x1440 for hours with out a crash i also play alot of BFV with DX11 because DX12 stutters to much for me but atleast i can play just fine , the witcher 3 too no problem at all i even render my gameplays with Power director 18 wich uses 100% of my GPU and it doenst crash also i use Relive to record my gameplays and everything is working fine hope its stays that way im sorry to hear is not working out for you.

however i will keep you guys updated....

0 Likes
malkavian
Adept I

Hello did what you said about discord but problem still continue how about your performance ? Especially Red Dead Online have that problem

i went back to drivers 19.12.1  Red dead online i play for hours no problems at all just instal drivers version 19.12.1  and wait untill AMD fix their crap 

He now try 19.12.1 he just enter game and skin deer then instantly crash again

0 Likes
malkavian
Adept I

Thank you for your answer.My friend is using Sapphire nitro + RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR SE graphic card.For example we play one day or couple days without crash.But today suddenly he start crash when he try loot.New version not work good.So he try old version 19.9.2.We play yesterday without any problems or black screen with hours.But today start crashing.He now install 19.12.1 and we are going test now.I will inform you and thank you.Please help us if you have any information

0 Likes
gaav
Adept II

19.12.1 I HAVE RX 5600 XT only suported by 2020 adrenaline

0 Likes

20.2.1 works fine for my RX 480, no crashing or BSOD

I recently wiped my SSD clean for a fresh install which resolved a lot of problems with updates etc

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Thanks, but that's like putting nail polish on a turd. That hardware acceleration problems are for like what -7 months? Right from the release. Lately, even chrome got blackscreens because AMD GPUs can't handle NV12 dynamic textures xD. 

0 Likes