Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mal
Adept I

Primary/Discrete GPU

Hello, 

After updating windows 10, I noticed very low fps and input lag (we're talking under 10 fps), when I usually get 120+.

I opened the ReLive software just to notice that my GPU, set itself to "Primary/Discrete", this was not even mentioned before, it just said: Hardware AMD Radeon R9 390 Series.

I am running an MSI H97 gaming 3 motherboard, and an i5 4460 which I believe is considered by my system as the main graphics chip (the problem?).I also monitored the usage of the GPU during a game using Wattman, the GPU clock speed, did not go over 400 mhz, and the activity was fluctuating between 0 and 100%.

Any ways to fix this? Thank you for your help already.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

The Primary/discrete is normal.

Is this Manual page info applicable?

▶Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG]
Selects a graphics device as the primary boot device.

[IGD]
[PEG]
Integrated Graphics Display.
PCI-Express Graphics Device

It needs to be set on PEG. Save and restart.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Thank you for your answer kind sir,

In the bios, the setting Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG] is indeed checked.

I restarted the computer but, still I am getting terrible fps.

0 Likes

Are you sure your monitor is still  plugged into the 390 and not the onboard video?

Which windows update?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

Hello,

Thank you for your help, I have successfully fixed the issue.

The issue does not come from the GPU nor the drivers.It is a signal called BD-Prochot that the motherboard sends to the CPU in case it is overheating to tune it down.It forces the CPU to run at 800 mhz, explaining the terrible performance in video-games.

In order to fix the issue, I downloaded a program called ThrottleStop by TechPowerUp, that allows you to monitor both CPU and GPU usage, and it has a settings to disable this BD-Prochot.

Everything works wonderfully now, thank you for your help still.

That bi-directional processor hot  solution sounds scary.

Although I'm glad it worked for you, I'm more than a little concerned of possible hazards from disabling/modifying the CPU throttling setting.

I think a more elegant solution would be to increase the case airflow and/or buy a better CPU heatsink fan.

And.. I fail to understand how updating windows can be complicit. That's also scary.

0 Likes

Hello,

I think the windows update has nothing to do with all that. Also, I have

cleaned up my computer fully from dust and changed the thermal paste on the

CPU.

My temps (CPU/GPU/Mobo) are really not high at all even under load.

Also I've heard that the bd-prochot issue was common among MSI motherboard

users.

So in the end, nothing to be scared of.

0 Likes