cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Peckerhead
Journeyman III

Presets don't change the FPS. RX 6900 XT always runs the same speed.

Setup: Asus ROG Croshair Hero VIII MB, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 memory, EVGA 850W GA 80 Gold PS. Nothing overclocked. (Don't need it! Only D.O.C.P at rated speed)

Latest MB BIOS (checked daily), Radeon 20.12.2, Win 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.746, run update daily. Win 10 set to Performance, not balanced or power saver.

I've noticed recently, the presets don't do anything. Preset Quite, Balanced, and Rage all produce the same FPS as tested with 3DMark10 and Novabench. This PC is only 2 months old, and I'm still testing and trying to set things up. I have Resizeable-BAR ON in BIOS. I was excited about turning it on but noticed it made no difference. So I started checking other settings. I normally use 3DMark but I noticed now I'm not getting the good numbers I was before. As a test I tried "Power Saving" and BINGO, Radeon Chill can limit the FPS and set my performance back to the 1990's. This is the only setting I have found to get it to change. Even with Automatic "Overclock GPU" (2584MHz - Yikes!) it makes no difference in FPS.

I have tried clearing the CMOS, reloading the AMD Radeon software with "Remove existing software" checked, using msconfig / task manager for a clean boot. Tried "Reset Shader Cache" and "Reset" Global Graphics.

Sometimes, I miss something simple, and I'm hoping this is one of those times.

Guys, what am I doing wrong? TIA.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Peckerhead
Journeyman III

UPDATE: OK, maybe there is a small difference, I wasn't noticing before. Using FurMark, on Preset

Quite 205 FPS

Balanced 209 FPS

Rage 214 FPS

FurMark is much more stable, it produces the same numbers everytime it's run, while 3DMark seems to bounce all over. Sometimes Quite mode beats Rage using 3DMark, but it fluctuates a little every time run it. I just thought it would be much more of a difference.

0 Likes