cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

killroy2963
Adept II

Poor Drivers

Last night while play just a few minutes of Cyberpunk, I just barely was in the game and got a hard crash and immediately a reboot of the system with the .Adrenalin 21.5.1 drivers. This was the worst crash I've had in YEARS!!I took a chance on AMD again and now I know why I left them before, great hardware but poor drivers. Between this bad crash, several other blue screens several months ago. , the d3 error.............Im had enough. I've never had such issues with Nvidia, and I intend to sell my 6900 XT and get a 3080 TI if possible.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Thu 5/6/2021 10:27:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0x208d09)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8045EAFB320)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0366490.inf_amd64_c0dea8a43cb81731\B366217\amdkmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: amdkmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Thu 5/6/2021 10:27:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050621-15281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0x197103)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8045EAFB320)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0366490.inf_amd64_c0dea8a43cb81731\B366217\amdkmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: amdkmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

11 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

actually AMD drivers are still better than Nvidia drivers
but AMD lost a bit of its lead in the last 2 years...

1. did you use XMP on RAM? or manual OC?
1b. reset bios to defaul
1c. flash latest bios for GPU and MoBo
1d. with Ryzen 1-3 Gen CPU use 2933MHz with timings fitting your RAM // with Ryzen 5000 use 3600CL16 or CL18 if your ram supports that
1e. test again

2. do a fresh install of windows
2a. disable win10 auto driver install
2b. first chipset driver then reboot and then GPU driver and reboot
2c. test again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

This is a joke, right? NVIDIA drivers NEVER failed to me. On the other hand, AMD drivers are KNOWN for crashing all the time.

I agree, the drivers are a joke compared to Nvidia. I have never had problems like I've had since I bought this card with Nvidia drivers.Run the memory at this, do all this crazy stuff to troubleshoot and none of it work, reinstall Windows.........UMM NO! Sell the card and run, YES!!

So all them posting about Nvidia crashes and such on the Nvidia forums must be lying...hmmmm

seen just as many issues with Nvidia as well.

0 Likes

I had a rock solid system with a MSI 1080, no crashes, no BSOD's, no black screens, nothing. Every driver set was issue free, I can't speak for other systems or users. I get a 6900 XT and it's been anything but a pleasant experience, very similar to when I left ATI and sold their X1900 XTX. Maybe they work for you that's great, but my luck with ATI/AMD graphics has been abysmal. 

Loved my old x1900xtx,that thing rocked back in the day.

Agree, use what you are comfortable with and what works for you ,Me, I've had great luck with AMD for 20 years now, Currently a 2700X and 5700XT STRIX,no issues since I put them in in Nov 2019.

Haven't tried the new cards for obvious reasons, sorry you are having issues

The one thing I keep wondering though,Can a lot of Issues be traced back to PSU's,I have never used less than a 1000W PSU,Nothing less than a Gold Rating.(mainly because I was always running a Crossfire setup until 2 years ago)

0 Likes

I have a 1000 watt EVGA PSU Gold......I also love my AMD 3900X!! I'll stick with the 6900 XT for a while longer, maybe staying with the WHQL driver sets unless there is something that is a absolute must to go with the beta sets. 

I sold my AMD GPU (HD 7770), bought an NVIDIA GPU (GTX 750 Ti).

Now the system works smoothly.

0 Likes
Dusty_Earth
Adept I

nice wasted of money on GPUs get a wife or car better than GPU overpriced ur issue bec of GPU overheat  i do have same problem 

0 Likes
EFermi
Miniboss

Did not have that kind of issues, but I must admit that AMD drivers are very, very poor and, to some extent, dysfunctional. 

As I already stated multiple times, some driver functions basically are broken. With nVidia, you could basically override antialiasing in 9 out of 10 older DX9 or earlier games (Unreal, Clive Barker's Undying, Postal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, Painkiller, FarCry etc.) and VERY rarely didn't it work, but was still resolvable via Compatibility Flags in nVidia Inspector in a few cases (e.g. FEAR). With AMD, that luxury you do not have. If the game has built-in AA - it functions as barebone multisampling (forget about that "supersampling" option in control panel, it's not for DX9), if it doesn't, well daym, son, you're outa luck. Funniest stuff I ever seen - remember Shadow Warrior remake? It has two versions - DX9 and DX11 modes. DX11 has no antialiasing to speak off (fugly FXAA only), DX9 had FSAA - which is, in basic terms, supersampling. Imagine my facepalm when, after enabling FSAA 4X in-game, I get... NOTHING! HOW DO YOU BREAK SUPERSAMPLING?! 

I'm talking mainly AA because it's the most noticeable, most "in-your-face" kind of feature, but I'm almost certain that somewhere there are games where other stuff is broken thanks to amazing AMD drivers - maybe I just don't have those or didn't play them yet. 

0 Likes

well, lets see.

What could be wrong?

The motherboard AMD CPU controlers?

DX ? 9,10,11,?? 12??

GPU?  Over heat?  Power?

Over reaching for the biggest bestest, Most fancy realistic realism??  Insted of the thought of being able to handle more then 16 people MOVING around on a game?  How many colors can you show NOW??

Trying to Backpack 3D into a basic card?  when all you need is the game to give you 2 perspectives?

WE NEED A VOTE.  DO WE NEED ULTRA REAL??  DO WE NEED/WANT 3D

0 Likes