cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Poptart
Journeyman III

Please Help

Okay so I have been trying to update my chipset driver. Installed the AMD Chipset installer and upon running the application and having all the drivers selected to install I click install. After clicking install a message comes up from Windows Installer saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I looked this up and I only found things linked to Microsoft Office and still followed all the instructions (didnt even have Office installed on PC). So I am completely stuck rn, I have ran the Windows Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter several times along with restarting my PC many times and nothing changes. This is extremely frustrating, if anyone has any ideas on how to help please let me know. 

0 Likes
1 Reply
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

First thing Windows 10 and 11 have horrible driver support for AMD based hardware.

Second. If you are running home edition look up on YouTube how to block windows from updating AMD hardware drivers using a Registry Editor.

If you are using pro version look up the same only replace the phrase Registry Editor with Group Policy Editor.

This is the only way to stop windows 10 and 11 from overwriting your AMD drivers with their outdated drivers.

Auto Detect and Download is notoriously unreliable.

Know your hardware and do the manual selection process through the drop down menus on AMD/support.com.

Also Auto Detect will by default download the latest driver whether that is beta (optional) drivers meant for testers and developers rather than the recommended WHQL full release driver version.

MDTech on YouTube has some great short easy to understand videos on how to do all these functions.

If your system is off the shelf or pre built PC go to your manufactures website and type in the product ID or serial number in the support section and it should give a detailed list of your hardware and software specs. Even windows should give pretty good detail information under my computer and device manager. Type my computer or device manager in the lower right search bar on your PC hit enter and it should take you right there.