cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Daniel_2
Journeyman III

Please Help! Display Adapter Changed

I was trying to update my display drivers but could not find the driver I had. All it said when I tried to find it was something along the lines of "AMD Radeon Display". I was prompted to download something from the AMD website which could find my exact driver. I was pretty much clueless of what I was doing and I was told to restart my computer so I did. When I reopened it my screen brightness could not be changed and I noticed that the 'sleep' option was no longer there when I tried to restart my computer a 2nd time. Then I checked my display adapter and noticed that after the installation of the AMD app, my display driver was changed and I am now using a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Can someone please tell me how to switch back to my old driver, I have no idea what I have done.

0 Likes
1 Reply
yrpleut76
Adept II

please provide OS, model of Graphic Card

microsoft display adapter is the default one chosen by windows when no driver is found . This is strange it can not find drivers if you didnt uninstall them

i suggest you to reinstall drivers on clean . 

Before install gpu drivers, make sure you have the up to date bios version/ latest mobo chipset drivers

First launch AMD Cleanup, once cleaned and reboot, you have 2 solutions:

-let Windows Update manage your driver (driver AMD Display but no AMD Software)

-install from AMD (drivers+software) with factory default option (this will reset all gpu environment, and disable driver automatic update from windows)

0 Likes