cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Please help! constant driver timeouts RX580

ive got this pc out an prebuilt company a while back because i was afraid to build. it worked well for like 7 months until ive gotten my first driver timeout, and ever since its like every day or 2. i would downgrade my drivers to pretty old ones then i would have it fixed for like a week. it was this on repeat until an hour ago when i had one so severe where i thought my pc was done for. usually i wait for like 20 seconds until everything was fixed and i can see my screen again. but it didnt happen. i didnt know what to do so i tapped the restart button on my pc and hoped it would work. my monitors have went to sleep and when it woke up i saw some weird color testing thing where my screen was flashing different colors and in panic i unplugged everything and waited for my pc to turn on, it worked and i got on here to report this. i am probably not gonna boot up an game until i know this is fixed. (ive also had bad prefromance in games that bench marks would say i would have good prefromance which is odd)

current drivers: 21.8.1

specs

mobo: gigabyte Z390 UD

RAM: Corsair 16G 3200 (not overclocked)

GPU RX 580

CPU i5-9400F

0 Likes
6 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @pleasehelpmeaughauihgsj 

This is a known issue for our RX 480/ RX 580 cards with the last few month's drivers.

You can pause your updates like @kingfish shows in the following screenshot, and set the duration for it to pause updates:

https://community.amd.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/43927i1F9605CCC1650D0D/image-size/large?v=v2&...

Then:

• Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  • Restart computer in safe mode
  • Uninstall graphics driver with DDU
  • Select the restart option
  • Install older working driver

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

0 Likes

hi! thanks for the reply. can u supply me with an driver version which works? as i said i have downgraded my drivers before but they have welded limited success.

0 Likes

Hi @pleasehelpmeaughauihgsj 

I am myself not sure when it started, but maybe try 21.5.2 from before AMD abruptly dropped support for previous radeon cards:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-5-2

You can even maybe try 21.5.1.

Kind regards

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Strange as I have RX580 Nitro with 21.8.1 and haven't had any problems at all..

This is the first I have heard of any problems..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Hi @vialli100 

Just look throughout the forum topics and you'll realize how bad it is, probably almost every 5th post is on a polaris card (RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580) crashing either with a hardlock, black screen, or driver failure/crash.

I am not going to go through the effort of linking them here, but with little effort you'll find a lot of them on this forum from the last two months.

Edit: has been happening with my RX 480 for the last few months as well, and with my brother whom has a RX 580, you can even see it as a listed issue on AMD's latest driver release notes. Especially happens when you are watching a video in an Internet browser 50% of the time.

Hi I was having black screens with my RX 480 and tracked down my problem to being the GPU over heating. I removed the fan/heat sink assembly and changed the thermal paste as well as the thermal pads on both the GPU (paste) and pads on the memory chips. This has solved my problems and has also dropped temps both idle and under load. This will void your warranty and should only be done knowing so. Hope this helps. It did for me.