cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PLEASE HELP! AMD RADEON RX 6950 XT BIG PROBLEMS

Hello,

I spent some time and updated two videos on Youtube so maybe you might have better clue & AMD support help maybe will finally help on this topic too :S

In both scenarios FPS are decent:

WORKING GOOD VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/St9XgpHg2JA

NOT WORKING GOOD & EVEN SOUND IS BUGGED THEN AS WELL AS U MIGHT NOTICE:

https://youtu.be/bkFS5_1MJt4

MY PC INFO:

Deskop PC with Two Monitors LG 144 HZ and Asus 144 HZ

Graphics AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
Procesor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 3.7GHz, 64 MB, BOX 

Crucial Ballistix Black at DDR4 3200 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16
(BL2K16G32C16U4B)

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ( bios date 4602, 23.02.2023 )

CPU Noctua NH-D15

SilentiumPC Mistral 140 (SPC046) x2

SSD Samsung 980 500 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe

Microsoft Windows 11 Home PL 64 bit OEM

be quiet Pure Power 11 700W

For the first time I am having so much, so big problems regarding installing a new card. I recently bought RX 6950 XT and I cannot propely install new drivers, I even did reset and installed brand new Windows11 with everything deleted and I am still having problems.

For first when I turn my PC, it is acting like I have 5 FPS even "during normal usage" on deskop, like moving windows lags them every 3-4 sec for like 1.5 sec, when I am trying to install new amd drivers at some point it stops for example 88% or 93% and it "install" for a long time lets say 1h+/- and then I am getting "Error 1603". After that I've reset my PC and whats funny? I have fully installed AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition and it says all drivers are newest but my PC still runs like 5 FPS. and it's sluttering.

And when my PC is "zombie mode" this is how I call it - 5 fps and sluttering during normal usage when I try to shut it down/reset it's not working I mean I have "reseting" for lets say 10 min and then there is error "Something went wrong... " and I need to press Power Button to reset it manually.

For lets say 10 reset, ONCE my PC was runing smooth like it should be, I opened Escape from Tarkov on full and I had smooth gameplay like 150 FPS and all working like "should be" then I had to leave my house, I was hoping its gonna work, I turn my PC again and it's "zombie mode" again not working.... 

I did all 1-5 steps that AMD officialy says in the solution and nothing works like trying to fix microstoft visual c++ all the stuff but for some reason I've seen that some users tell to do "Factory Reset" during instalation of amd drivers but I can't select the option because its grayed out.

I literally do not know how to fix this stuff and PLEASE HELP me.

Now I am trying to uninstall AMD drivers and it's stuck on 92% for like 40 minutes.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Well I managed to figure out that it have something to do with Adrenalin Editon, when I delete my AMD drivers using DDU and reset, and I am having the standard ones from device manager my PC is working fine.

FIX SOLUTION:

IVE INSTALLED AMD SOFTWARE: 23.2.1 from 10.02.2023 and it's working ALL FINE.

Seems there is something wrong with newest AMD drivers on my PC specs and I just cant install them, cuz after it my PC gets laggy/buggy/zombie mode - 5 fps.

So for now I'll be using 23.2.1 version because it's working perfect.

As long as I download adrenalin edition installer, and just run it the installer -- when the instalation do not even start -- my PC is switching to zombie mode and 5 FPS I tried the newest Adrenalin Edition and now I tried the version before in both scenarios same problem.

I guess it's AMD technicans problems and I hope they will answer me here on this topic or answer me back on e-mail cuz I've already e-mailed them as well.

Right now I'll use standard AMD drivers without adrenalin edition till it's fixed.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Really nobody:( I am trying to fix it since yesterday, in total like 6-7 hrs... :S 

0 Likes

information.png

Ryzen 5 5600; ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING; Sapphire RX 6600 Pulse; G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14 /2x8 Gb; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GR75Q-B QHD; Windows 11 Pro 23h2; Kingston KC2500 250Gb M2. /Kingston NV2 1TB M.2; SSD Crucial MX500; HDD WD Blue - 1T.
Dragokar
Miniboss

Could you share detailed hardware specs? Which driver do you try to install? Is the monitor connected to the card and NOT the motherboard? Does have the card all psu connectors installed? Pictures might be useful as well.

Yo,

I've just made a post with my hardware specs, I am trying to install nevest driver from AMD site for AMD RADEON RX 6950 XT which is Adrenalin 23.4.1 (WHQL Recommended)

Both monitors are connected to GPU via DisplayPorts

All pus connectors ( x2 ) installed to gpu

0 Likes

Updating the info you guys needed from post's above:

Deskop PC with Two Monitors LG 144 HZ and Asus 144 HZ

Graphics AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
Procesor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 3.7GHz, 64 MB, BOX 

Crucial Ballistix Black at DDR4 3200 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16
(BL2K16G32C16U4B)

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ( bios date 4602, 23.02.2023 )

CPU Noctua NH-D15

SilentiumPC Mistral 140 (SPC046) x2

SSD Samsung 980 500 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe

Microsoft Windows 11 Home PL 64 bit OEM

be quiet Pure Power 11 700W

0 Likes

Hello again,

which driver are you trying to install? Do you have the amd chipset drivers installed?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, 

Have you tried resetting windows completely? Chose the option to keep your files if you dont have back ups.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Hello, yeah I've tried that even twice to be honest since yesterday.

On fresh Windows I upgraded all updates and after that I've tried to install amd drivers, right now I am trying to install it and I am stuck again... Fighting with it around 12 hrs in total and I am getting crazy

Here I made gyazo at what moment installation stops:

https://gyazo.com/f4e8e1862366f1ab0226075b06a7c6cf

But whats funny after around 2 hrs it will finally show "Error 1603 " and when I shutdown the PC and turn it again, I'll have fully installed amd drivers saying everything is updated and ok, but the system is acting like 5 FPS and I lagging every 3 sec for 1s-1.5s lets say.

0 Likes

I guess its time to troubleshoot for hardware issues then. 

Start with the PSU, 700watts is not enough in my opinion. 

I just received an 6950XT and I feel that I'm short on that. Ill give it a try just to check if it likes a RM650i or the RoG Strix 750 is the bare minimum. 

For comparison, I have a RoG Strix RX6800 and it wont even stay stable at windows with 650watt, let alone stressing it.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Dragokar
Miniboss

Have you installed the chipset driver?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

and

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-4-1

How are your GPU and CPU Temps? You can read them with HW Monitor or HWINFO for free.

0 Likes

This is "how its working" on installed AMD Drivvers but I explained how I "install" them above in my post

https://gyazo.com/a19a2203b7f4672b9ad67be89d887672

My temps for cpu and gpu:

https://gyazo.com/aafedb420cf7bbeb71f345a71881cdae

0 Likes

Maybe Microsoft installs its own driver. Compare here:

1.png2.png3.png

Ryzen 5 5600; ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING; Sapphire RX 6600 Pulse; G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14 /2x8 Gb; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GR75Q-B QHD; Windows 11 Pro 23h2; Kingston KC2500 250Gb M2. /Kingston NV2 1TB M.2; SSD Crucial MX500; HDD WD Blue - 1T.
0 Likes

I spent some time and updated two videos on Youtube so maybe you might have better clue & AMD support help maybe will finally help on this topic too :S

In both scenarios FPS are decent:

WORKING GOOD VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/St9XgpHg2JA

NOT WORKING GOOD & EVEN SOUND IS BUGGED THEN AS WELL AS U MIGHT NOTICE:

https://youtu.be/bkFS5_1MJt4

0 Likes

Problem might be that I've connected the amd rx 6950 xt using split power supply to PSU? 

This is how I plug in power cables to gpu:

https://gyazo.com/07f7da732b44165a424e685ca9c1ca33

Because few minutes ago I've installed the card I was using before buying 6950 xt and there is zero problems at all.

0 Likes

Oh hell no, do not do that, you need 2 separate cables from the psu especially with the high end cards.

0 Likes

Never daisy chain, that is a sure thing.

The Englishman
0 Likes

One way to look at it is, if one power cable was enough it wouldn't have 2 plugs.

0 Likes

Okay guys, then I'll order another cable so I can check if that was a thing, because currently I have the one from photo I sent you

0 Likes
sandradhicks896
Journeyman III

Detailed hardware specifications, please. What driver are you attempting to install? Is the card—and NOT the motherboard—where the monitor is connected? Has the card been installed with all psu connectors? Also, images might be helpful.

0 Likes

I did find 2nd candle of my psu and connected VGA 1 and VGA 2 seperatly and still same problem

0 Likes
Dragokar
Miniboss

And you used 23.4.1 and the chipset drivers? Is the card new or used?

0 Likes

Well I managed to figure out that it have something to do with Adrenalin Editon, when I delete my AMD drivers using DDU and reset, and I am having the standard ones from device manager my PC is working fine.

FIX SOLUTION:

IVE INSTALLED AMD SOFTWARE: 23.2.1 from 10.02.2023 and it's working ALL FINE.

Seems there is something wrong with newest AMD drivers on my PC specs and I just cant install them, cuz after it my PC gets laggy/buggy/zombie mode - 5 fps.

So for now I'll be using 23.2.1 version because it's working perfect.

As long as I download adrenalin edition installer, and just run it the installer -- when the instalation do not even start -- my PC is switching to zombie mode and 5 FPS I tried the newest Adrenalin Edition and now I tried the version before in both scenarios same problem.

I guess it's AMD technicans problems and I hope they will answer me here on this topic or answer me back on e-mail cuz I've already e-mailed them as well.

Right now I'll use standard AMD drivers without adrenalin edition till it's fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the problem you had was when you ran the installer and it gave an error code and you thought it actually installed. The error code often means you need to visit microsoft website and install latest visual C++ runtimes and often go to the add remove optional additional windows components and remove the default windows 11 4.8 .net desktop runtime environment and download and install 7.0 or 6.0 or whatever version of .net runtimes for desktop windows environment they're up to. Also you should verify windows install with SFC /scannow and DISM and other stuff. THE ERROR CODE searched on the AMD website will give you only a short list of several things such as those type of activities to have it work correctly. You not using the reboot to safe mode and AMD cleanup utility.. means you will suffer for it later. 

the type of stuttering you had is often actually either one of two things, 1 a VSYNC /enhanced sync issue often to do with FPS and hz of display refresh rate like you set it to 120hz but your video is 24hz.. and it plays back choppy as it doesnt divide evently or you use both HDMI and DP instead of just the ONE. or your multimonitors arent in CLONE MODE or arent at the same resolution/hz. 2nd thing its often being is a USB related input peripheral issue im serious change usb ports or usb drivers try generic usb class 2.0 and view hidden devices in device manager and remove anything hidden see if any exclamation marks or question marks in control panel. generic usb driver ones or random usb sounding drivers from within windows for generic stuff or disable your audio enhancements and set your sample rates to defaults. other times your HDMI or DP is in the wrong port as the TV or monitor or receiver maybe has 3-8 HDMI inputs and 1-3 of them are only useful for gaming in full HDR and stuff.. the other ports are like decades older lower HDMI/DP standards and your device like a receiver or a monitor or TV maybe is 1080p 60hz 8bit RGB but youre trying to force it to eat 8k HDR 300hz 10bit or 12bit FULL 444 RGB. you might be in the wrong colorspace too.

0 Likes
schldskjoirz
Adept III

Your setup is unlikely to get enough power from a 700W power supply. If the problem is caused by insufficient power, one extra cable will not solve it. As a starting point, your setup should have at least an 850W PSU, preferably 1000W, so that your machine has enough power in reserve when it's needed. Once this is taken care of, then you can focus on other possible problems.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes

Well I am 100% sure it's problem with AMD drivers [ the newest version of it ]

Because as I wrote above currently using 23.2.1 and everything is alright, yesterday I bought 3dmark on steam to check if its for sure on full efficiency and I hit 21k score points - I found topic with another benchmark test on forum with my card and similiar setup and I had only 200 points less than that dude who made the thread on that forum,  so it's fine with enough power supply cuz since I have 23.2.1 amd version I am runing games at max FPS at max settings and it's goodie

Dragokar
Miniboss

Thats why me and other asked many times which driver you installed.....