cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ryeloc
Adept II

Please Help, AMD Black Screens Radeon VII

Guys need help here, I've been having black screens 2-3 times a day. I am a raid leader in WoW and black screening in the middle of boss fights is really becoming an issue. It does it in every game I play, and even just using chrome. I ran winDbg and it says the following. Also, anytime my computer goes to sleep, when I wake it up I get the same error. I've tried the new 20.4.1 drivers and it seems to crash even more often. I also reformatted my PC recently and still having the same issue. I've disabled hardware acceleration, in discord/chrome, and also turned off overlays and enhanced sync. Not sure what else to do other than go by a Geforce. Can anyone offer some assistance?

Hardware:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
Motherboard: Auros X570 Ultra
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Drive1: Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive3: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i Platnium + Type 3 Cables
Monitor 1: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ 31.5" WQHD 144Hz FreeSync Curved
Monitor 2: LG 32" 32GK650F 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case

Software:
Windows 10 64 bit 1909
Radeon Software Version: 20.2.2
Motherboard BIOS: F12e

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
4 Replies
lobust
Journeyman III

I also have a radeon vii, and I just rolled back to 19.4.2 (the last non-20 series drivers I had downloaded in my amd folder) for the same reason. The 20 series drivers have not been great generally, but the last week or so I have been black screening and hard crashing very frequently. I just bought a Vive Pro, and Steam VR is EXTREMELY unstable with the latest drivers. Haven't crashed once since I rolled back, downside is I can't play cod warzone with my friends.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that, guess I am in a similar situation... maybe going back to an older driver will be the answer. I do wonder because we have Radeon VII if we won't see any fixes since its such a minority of people with it. 

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

I have 5600xt and can't go back to 19.xx version because it isn't support. So I download MSI afterburner and down core clock from 1500 to 1200 and black screen disappear.

0 Likes

That sucks to hear, I feel like if your card was sold as 1500 you should get that. The fact you had to actually lower your card just to use it really doesn't sound right. Not sure what is going on with AMD drivers but I have never wanted a Geforce card more than I do right now.

0 Likes