cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

phly95
Adept I

Please allow Vega M GL optional drivers to install?

I have the Vega M GL GPU that was bundled with the i7-8705G that Intel basically abandoned (last Intel official update was 1.5 years ago). Thankfully, AMD allowed us to download the Vega 56 "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL)" driver, which solved some blue screens caused by outdated drivers. However, the new "Optional" drivers, "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Optional", the ones that add Vulkan 1.2 support are says that the hardware is not supported. These drivers would be quite handy for improving performance in the Cemu emulator, as Async shader compilation is a Vulkan 1.2 exclusive feature.

Do you plan to add support for Vulkan 1.2 drivers to Vega M GL graphics? Also, can Vega M GL expect continued support from AMD after Intel abandoned us?

15 Replies

AMD has committed to support the drivers. You still must update the Intel graphics first, before you install the AMD drivers. https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

Were these the ones you looked at?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-5... 

0 Likes

Will intel response this?

0 Likes
phly95
Adept I

Glad to hear about the committed support. I am still curious when the Vega 1.2 Optional drivers will become compatible with Vega M GL. Currently, only the Recommended WHQL drivers allow installation on this GPU. 

I did find a bypass that will let me install the optional drivers on my card though.

I looked through the INF files of both drivers and noticed the March drivers have this line

AMD694E.1 = "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics"
AMD694E.2 = "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics"

(as well as some other lines relating to this)

whereas the April Driver is missing these lines. However, editing the INF files means that the security certificate becomes invalidated.

Currently the best bypass to install the unapproved "optional" drivers is to first start the installation of the "Optional" Drivers until you hit the error screen, then go to Device Manager>Display Adapters>Radeon RX Vega M GL>(right click)>Update Driver>Browse my computer...>Let me pick from a list...>Have Disk>Browse...

Then browse to This PC (left side)>Local Disk (C:)>AMD>Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.4.2-Apr23>Packages>Drivers>Display>WT6A_INF>C0354308.inf

Then hit OK, then find "Radeon RX Vega". It will say "Installing this device driver is not recommended...", just hit yes. 

Now the GPU identifies as "Radeon RX Vega" instead of "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics", but everything else seems to work fine. And now I have Vulkan 1.2 support.

Now I can play games on Cemu on my laptop without that annoying stutter.

In case you were wondering, this is the benefit of updating to the new driver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgVnST40-Y

This post may turn out to be erroneous....I am checking further...

I would contact Intel for advice on which AMD driver should be installed.

tried this workaround with https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-may25.exe  but it did not let me finish the the driver selection using the above

eventually i manage to install as stated above, but the "radeon software" cannot be run anymore nor i can update it.

any suggestion? should i care about it?

any update regarding official update?

0 Likes

Hello, any new development? I have this graphic card too and its so frustrating :(

0 Likes

If the radeon software does not open anymore, install the latest non-optional drivers, using the workaround method selecting the Vega 64 as the card in device manager. Then follow this video to get the control panel working again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh0dhdyLx4 Once you have changed the correct registry entry, end "Radeon Software: Host Application" in task manager. Reopen Radeon settings and it should be working. Now go back to device manager and install the optional drivers, and that will bring everything up to speed, and the Radeon Software will update properly, removing the registry hack, but retaining functionality.

0 Likes

Can you make a video or a slideshow going through this process step by step by chance?

0 Likes

Intel said that they would give an update in Q1 2021

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hi everyone.

Who is responsible for providing the drivers, Intel or AMD? If you want to download the driver for the RX Vega M GL from the Intel site, they provide the related old link of the AMD site. It seems that neither Intel nor AMD wants to take responsibility for this serious shortcoming. A lot of people like me have spent some money on this card and expect concrete answers and real support, not just promises.

Hi, I have the same problem with the driver. Is there any news from intel / amd? Q1 2021 has already passed...

0 Likes

You will need to contact Intel for support with this issue.

0 Likes