Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

UncleHank
Journeyman III

pixel format switches when starting HDR games

Hello!

This is my first post here. Usually I do not contribute to community forums, but I can not find any information about this phenomenon.

My AMD graphics card is connected to a Samsung Soundbar, that accepts a YUV420 HDR 60Hz video signal. So my driver is set up to output the YCrCb pixel format with 4:2:0 subsampling. The soundbar passes through the video signal to the Samsung 4K HDR TV. This setup works great and without problems, even with Dolby Atmos enabled...

But when starting a HDR game, the pixel format automatically changes to RGB FULL with 10 (!) Bit, which makes absolutely no sense as I need to feed the soundbar with YUV420. Additionally I use HDMI 2.0 which could not transfer RGB 10 Bit. The weird thing is that the TV is outputting a HDR picture and that this signal is accepted by the soundbar. So I'm not sure if the pixelformat stated by the Radeon driver, is actually correct. My TV is detecting Full Range Colorspace because its black level "auto" function delivers High Black levels. But then I have to use Low Black Levels to get the "HDR dark Black" as I want it. So there is really big confusion, what the amd driver is actually doing when starting a HDR game.

Is this a bug with the current Radeon driver? Does anybody know why this is happening? Users with a soundbar could easily reproduce this situation. 

0 Likes
1 Reply
joevt
Adept I

I've seen some strange issues with trying to turn on HDR in the Windows display preferences.

I have a Radeon RX 580. Using Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042, AMD Radeon Software Version 21.6.1. I also tried updating to Windows 21H1 which just updates Windows to 10.0.19043. No change in behaviour.

I can select 4K 60Hz 10bpc 4:2:0 SDR but if I try to enable HDR, it switches to 30Hz 10bpc 4:4:4 HDR. While at 30Hz it doesn't show a 4:2:0 option - just RGB and 4:2:2. The AMD Software doesn't include a refresh rate option so I have to go to Windows Display Advanced Display Settings. But it won't let me select 60Hz until I disable HDR.

Once I'm at 4K 60Hz 10bpc 4:2:0 SDR, if I enable HDR, then it switches to 4K 30Hz 10bpc 4:4:4 HDR. At this time, the info in the AMD Software and the info in the Windows Display Advanced Display Settings disagrees. Windows says I'm at 4K 60Hz 10bpc 4:2:0 HDR but AMD says I'm at 4K 30Hz 10bpc 4:4:4 which matches what my display says (display also says it's receiving HDR). Windows Display Advanced display settings won't show the correct info until I close the Display Settings window and reopen it.

Can AMD create a Displays Settings dialog that does not require using the Windows dialogs?  I shouldn't have to go through 5 different UIs to change these settings. It would also be nice if I could change all the settings before they are applied so I don't have to wait between every change for the display to update (like how Ubuntu does it).

0 Likes