Journeyman III

Performance issues after driver update Radeon R3 A4-7210 - Windows 10

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop its a Acer Aspire ES 15 - ES1-522-443P

AMD Quad-Core Processor A4-7210

AMD Radeon R3 graphics

Windows 10 home

64-bit

I have updated my drivers recently to the latest recommended version and now everything lags, my mouse, my internet, my computer in general. All of it's basic tasks including just typing this. It's driving me nuts, I have no idea what to do to fix it. I am a total Noob. Please help. If you need more information, let me know. Until then i'll keep googling for answers.

Thanks,

Gen

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
5 Replies
dbiglari
Journeyman III

I had very similar issues that started after an update a few days ago.  I'm on Windows 10 and have an R4, but I think its the same issue.  The mouse would freeze every 3 seconds or so making the computer unusable.  The good news is this is 100% fixable.  You have to reload older video drivers, I went back to driver version 15.200.1046.0 and everything works fine now.  I downloaded the drivers I used from (this link), manually extracted the file using 7zip, then opened device manager and browsed to my display device and selected update drivers, then  selected the drivers I just extracted.  I had to specifically point to the location of the drivers (in the extracted subfolder amd-catalyst-15.7-with-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit\Packages\Drivers\Display\WB6A_INF).

Let me know if you want more details about how I fixed this.  The same type of thing should work for anyone having this problem, but the exact driver version to roll back to may differ. (Note to anyone from AMD reading this: Please test your new drivers against any legacy hardware to which you push updates, the machine was working fine)

0 Likes

To be fair it depends on who pushed the updates. Windows 10 has been sending out incorrect drivers for AMD chip sets for sometime now. This is a known issue and was no fault of AMD. But yes reverting to know good drivers is a great fix. Typically all that is needed is to use the driver rollback feature.

0 Likes

I think you're correct, it was a Microsoft patch that caused the problem.  I just assumed that AMD had more control over what Microsoft put out as the official detected drivers.  The patch that broke my machine was forced by Microsoft, I had no choice in the upgrade.  I hope that in the future, AMD can work closer with Microsoft to avoid these kinds of issues, because it makes them look bad when like you said, it's not their fault.

Maybe the catalyst software could retroactively fix the driver version (roll it back based on the detected hardware) after Microsoft's patch so that end users don't have to worry about it.  Just a thought.

0 Likes

There are registry changes that can be made and a couple 3rd party utilities you can use to set those changes, to stop Windows 10 from auto updating drivers. Just google it.

0 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!  I'll be doing that on all my Windows 10 PCs.

0 Likes