cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jscott
Journeyman III

Performance degradation of amd rx 6700 xt controlled by utilization of amd rx 6900 xt

Linux Kernel: 5.11.0-7614-generic

cpu: intel 10900X

RAM: 32 gb

storage: 2 1 tb nvme ssd

Power supply: 1000W EVGA GQ

2 Samsung Odyssey G7 Monitors

Motherboard: Gigabyte Designare 10G

I have been fortunate enough to acquire one amd rx 6900 xt and one amd rx 6700 xt.  They are both installed in the same system.  I have been pretty frustrated with the dismal performance with my monitor hooked up to the 6700.  All user input of mine will require me to wait a few seconds to get any sort of feedback in the UI. 

For example, hovering the mouse over the power button should immediately highlight it.  But I have to wait a couple seconds before that happens.  When I watch videos on this monitor the frame seems to update once every couple of seconds.

I can make all of this go away.  To do so I will simply run a video on the other monitor that is hooked up to the 6900.  When this video runs, the behavior of the monitor hooked up to the 6700 changes.  The power button highlights immediately when the mouse hovers over it and videos play normally.  The UI updates immediately to my inputs.

How can I avoid the performance degradation of the 6700 without utilizing the 6900?  I don't want to always have a video play on the monitor hooked up to the 6900.  Let me know if you need any more information.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Using a supported Linux distribution would be my first suggestion. 

AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT Drivers & Support | AMD

0 Likes
jscott
Journeyman III

I'm still not sure why this was happening.  But when I applied the vfio driver to the 6900 and used the 6700 for the host the issue seemed to go away.