cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rx5700xtcat
Adept I

Pcie x8 Question

Hello , ive recently decided to upgrade from my vega 11 graphics to a rx 580 gpu . But i went to the cpu details and i found out that my cpu only uses pciex8, And my question is: Will it only use x8 or is there a way to select a pcie x16 connection instead ?

Thanks!

0 Likes
18 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The new GPU will runs at x8 speed. However, there is a problem like that the new GPU may not work at full performance. CPU power may not be enough for the GPU. It may be better to choose a lower GPU to avoid bottleneck. Because CPUs with only x8 speed support are very weak.

Im planning on upgrading to a rx 580 , but yor point is that i should aim for a low performance card since most of the performance is going to waste? Also i wouldnt consider a ryzen 2400g a weak cpu or some sort , infact the excact opposite. If what you are saying is true i will have to switch out a cpu too, which will be over my budget.

0 Likes

2400G is a good CPU and it works fine with the RX 580. It has x8 PCI line but it does not have much performance loss and bottleneck.

So will i notice a big performance loss with this cpu or should i keep the cpu?

0 Likes

Your CPU is fine for the RX 580. 2400G is also one of current CPUs. You should definitely keep it.

Thanks Alot!!!! Defineatly looking forward to talking to you again!

0 Likes

It seems you would get double the performance going from 8x to 16x, in reality that isn't really the case. It is more about saturation of the bandwidth being used. In all probability you will see more like a 0% - 10% difference in speed. Yes your new RX 580 card is absolutely worth putting in that system and will provide better performance. Assuming that the CPU is not a bottleneck to begin with? As you only questioned PCIe type and not what CPU you have I can't answer that. Honestly though as long as you have on a fairly current system your CPU is very unlikely going to bottleneck an RX 580. That changes quickly however if you go to a flagship card, say like RTX 2080Ti. Again though you don't have that and it should not be an issue. 

This site has a bottleneck calculator you can input your cpu and gpu to see if it will be an issue: 

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ 

Another tip on that new RX 580, go into Wattman and set your power limit to 50. It greatly helps the stability of the card. 

Oh wow , thanks alot for the support , I have a ryzen 5 2400g . But what is wattman?

Edit: i got 1.17% of bottleneck on my cpu+gpu!

0 Likes

rx5700xtcat wrote:

Oh wow , thanks alot for the support , I have a ryzen 5 2400g . But what is wattman?

Edit: i got 1.17% of bottleneck on my cpu+gpu!

how are you assessing a bottleneck?

0 Likes

pokester sent me a link to a website that roughly calculates the bottleneck of the cpu with the gpu  .

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ 

0 Likes

My rig showed 0.04% bottleneck

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

R5 2400G

RX 480 8GB

32GB RAM

all games are playable but some games are a tad brutal at 3840x2160

0 Likes

Makes sense though as your card was never intended to be a 4K card. It is a good 60FPS 1080p card. 

pokester wrote:

Makes sense though as your card was never intended to be a 4K card. It is a good 60FPS 1080p card. 

I agree but I have tried a lot of video cards on my 4K panel and it is eye opening at how many games are playable.

Halo specs my card for playing at 4K, but I am confident as I have the 8GB version (was adamant and refused 4GB cards)

0 Likes

I was meaning a current AAA title 4k gaming card. Yes older games run great.

I too enjoy going back and doing that with older titles. I have really enjoyed playing the RTX Version of Doom2. It is amazing what a difference resolution and lighting changes can make to a game. 

0 Likes

Sorry meant RTX Quake 2. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I was meaning a current AAA title 4k gaming card. Yes older games run great.

I too enjoy going back and doing that with older titles. I have really enjoyed playing the RTX Version of Doom2. It is amazing what a difference resolution and lighting changes can make to a game. 

RTX versions of games will not get me to rush out and waste how much money on one of those cards?

I am more interested in RDNA 2 and possibly Ampere if it every actually surfaces

0 Likes

It is the adjustment software for you cards settings. Speed, Voltage, etc... that is in Radeon Settings. You can either right click you desktop or go to you tray icons and chose Radeon Settings. The Wattman settings are buried in Gaming, Global Settings, Wattman. Unless that changed in the 2020 drivers. Either way it is in there. I would not changes anything else unless you have an issue. 

I have an RX 480 and it is powered by my R5 2400G fine. I have had no issues with games.