Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

saltygamer
Journeyman III

PC Slow to boot after driver upate and/or 5600 XT BIOS flash

Hi,

I need help.

TL;DR
My PC boots super slow after I updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC, from F60 to F61.

Potential solution: it may have been the AMD drivers messing with my SATA controller.
EDIT: It was not the case.

Longer version:
Just got my new PC with a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC.

I installed Aorus Engine and there it said I had BIOS version F60. Also my AMD Drivers told me the specs of the card, which were clearly the older ones.

On their website it listed F61 (among others) so I downloaded that.

I carefully read the readme file and it said F60 > F61. So I closed all background programs, ran the tool as admin and it said "Succes ! Would you restart your computer?" And so I did... And I got the boot up screen... For a very long time it kept saying "press del to enter BIOS" like it usually only does for a second. Then I finally got the Windows spinny ball loading animation, which also took way longer than before.

I finally got to my desktop and checked the AMD software and Aorus Engine. Both confirmed I had now BIOS F61.

I decided to restart my PC once more to check if this wasn't a one time thing... But unfortunately it is not.

Where it took my PC seconds to boot, it now takes minutes.

I also updated my AMD drivers before I did this, so maybe that also influences it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Reply
saltygamer
Journeyman III

I already fixed it

Apparently "there is a new version available" for AMD drivers also includes the "optional" drivers and not only the "recommended" ones.

I cleaned my drivers with the AMD clean tool and reinstalled version 20.4 and that fixed it. Apparently I installed 20.7.2 before, which I assume is what caused the slow boot.

0 Likes