cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sTi
Adept II

PC occasionally freezes during Windows startup

My self-built PC occasionally freezes during windows startup, around 5-10% of the time. 

The freeze always happens around the same time, shortly before the windows desktop should appear. The dots under the user name stop spinning, the computer freezes completely and I have to restart manually. Sometimes after the next boot the AMD graphics driver is deactivated and reverted back to the Microsoft basic display driver. I then have to manually re-activate the  "AMD Radeon graphics" device in the device manager, which suggests to me that the freeze may be related to the graphics driver. Usually the freeze does not leaves a trace in the event log, but very occasionally the freeze may generate a blue screen like this: 

634515a4-d296-4b78-a4d7-2560da3f74db.jpg

==================================================
Dump File         : 110921-5359-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 09.11.2021 12:13:57
Bug Check String  : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug Check Code    : 0x100000ea
Parameter 1       : ffffa10d`e264c080
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : amdkmdag.sys
Caused By Address : amdkmdag.sys+1ae5ab
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+3f72a0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\110921-5359-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 16
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 19041
Dump File Size    : 1.877.340
Dump File Time    : 09.11.2021 12:16:21
==================================================

The freeze only happens during startup, once the Windows desktop appears the system is stable (tested with Prime95, Furmark, Memtest...)  

Configuration:  

• AMD Ryzen 5700G 
  • Asus B550-F Gaming Wifi, latest BIOS 2423 
  • 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-3200 
  • Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W 
  • Windows 10 Home, Version 21H2, latest updates installed
  • Windows fast boot deactivated 
  • Latest AMD chipset drivers 

DXDiag: https://pastebin.com/Y6R5pmk7  

I have tried the following so far: 

Hardware measures

Swapping everything that could cause a hardware-related crash: 

• CPU: with another 5700G 
  • RAM: With a different 2x16GB kit from a different manufacturer  
  • Mainboard: With another Asus B550-F Gaming Wifi 
  • PSU: With another Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W 
  • SSD: With an SSD from a different manufacturer + reinstall Windows

Nothing made a difference. So now I am pretty confident that the issue is not caused by faulty hardware. 

Software measures

• Reinstalling Windows (several times...)
  • Disabling all autostart programs 
  • Disabling all non-Windows services during startup 
  • Reinstalling latest WHQL AMD drivers from AMD website (after removing previous driver with AMD cleanup utility)  (did so several times...)

Again, nothing made a difference. Currently I am using the latest driver that I installed manually via Windows update after a clean Windows install, but the issue remains the same. 

I am out of ideas what else to troubleshoot, nothing seems to make a difference. The evidence so far suggests that the freezes are most likely caused by the graphics driver, but what can I do besides doing a clean reinstall of different driver versions (including the one provided by Microsoft Windows update), none of which solved the issue?

0 Likes
28 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Re: PC occasionally freezes during Windows startup

Seems to point to AMD drivers or the 5700G conflicting with Citrix, I noticed you have 'Card name: Citrix Indirect Display Adapter'. This could be part of the problem. Others have mentioned that Citrix can sometimes cause problems. Look further into it by searching on this board. Remove it temporarily if you can to see if that fixes it.

Also does it do it with fast start enabled? Turning fast start off does solve some problems, but usually you should be able to just leave it on if the system is fairly new hardware. I hope you get it fixed.

sTi
Adept II

Thank you for your reply. Fast startup is already disabled. Unfortunately I need Citrix for work, so I need to have it installed in some form. Actually I previously suspected that it might be the source of the freezes but a search for issues like this did not turn up anything. For some people it might lead to problems like lower frame rates in games (like in a thread on this board) but I have never found another report about it freezing computers. For troubleshooting purposes I already disabled the autostart entry, and a look at running processes and services confirms that nothing related to Citrix is running after startup. What I could do is disabling the Citrix indirect display adapter in the device manager and just activate it when I actually need it, or wouldn't this make any difference during Windows startup`?

amdman
Challenger

"Turning fast start off does solve some problems, but usually you should be able to just leave it ON if the system is fairly new hardware"

Leave fast start up ON as a test. If that doesn't fix it, try what you were mentioning with disabling Citrix. Hopefully you will be able to find a solution, anything that is a little different can lead to finding the root cause.

0 Likes
sTi
Adept II

Thank you. The freeze also happened before I disabled fast boot, so it does not seem to make a difference.

The jury is still out on whether disabling the Citrix adapter makes a difference. Is there anything else I can check to find the cause?

0 Likes
amdman
Challenger

If it still happens after disabling Citrix, the next step would be to document all the settings for Citrix and uninstall it. Is it easy to configure again for your work? If so, try that. If for some reason you can't do that, other things to try are, did it begin doing this after a driver update? Uninstall the drivers, use AMD Cleanup Utility or DDU in safe mode and install some older AMD drivers. You already reinstalled Windows so it seems that should not be the problem. If you uninstall Citrix and you still see the problem it could be the hardware, maybe a bug in the 5700G, contact the manufacturer and AMD, but you already replaced a bunch of stuff. Maybe a bug in all 5700G? It's a difficult one!

sTi
Adept II

The PC froze again yesterday even with Citrix disabled...

As I have ruled out actual hardware defects by swapping practically everything (see 1st post) and as it has happened with multiple Windows installs and AMD drivers there are now only 2 things left I can think of as likely causes:

1. AMD graphics driver issues with the Ryzen 5000 series APUs
  2. Asus Bios issues with the Ryzen 5000 series APUs

What would be the best means of getting in touch with either AMD or Asus to work with them on solving this issue?

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

See if by following Citrix Troubleshooting procedures might fix your problem: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/director/troubleshoot-deployments/user-is...

Screenshot 2022-01-06 123016.png

@amdman  is correct the Citrix has caused many problems with other drivers.

If possible try booting into a Clean Windows environment. This basically running Safe Mode on a regular Windows desktop with all 3rd party startups disabled. If Windows boots up fine then start enabling 3rd party startups to see which one is causing Windows to freeze during loading of Windows OS: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

EDIT: Have you tried to use Asus own AMD VGA Driver and install the latest Asus AMD CHIPSET Driver package?

You can open a AMD Support ticket from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form as for Asus Support I suggest you use the Chat feature which is fastest under Asus Warranty: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_warranty

Screenshot 2022-01-06 123016.png

You will need your Asus Motherboard S/N to start the Chat session.

sTi
Adept II

Thank you for your reply. I already tried the "clean boot" strategy and the freezes also occurred with all autostart and services disabled.

As for the drivers: I tried

1. The Asus way: All drivers installed directly from Asus
  2. The AMD way: Latest graphics & chipset drivers directly from AMD, nothing from Asus
  3. The Microsoft way: Graphics driver installed from Windows update.

All three strategies showed the same occasional freezes during Windows startup.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Edit this reply after re-reading your original post.

So you have used a different SSD, Motherboard, RAM and installed Windows from scratch with the same results.

When you install Windows again did the issue appear again before you started installing any 3rd party programs?

If the issue didn't occur after installing a fresh Windows than try installing all your 3rd party programs except Citrix and see if the problems occurs. That would definitely remove Citrix as the culprit causing your hangup when Windows loads.

You can also enable Windows Verifier to see which driver exactly is causing your startup issue. You can google Windows Verifier to see how to use that helpful Windows  Troubleshooting feature.

I would open a AMD Support - Warranty ticket and see if your CPU might be defective even though personally I don't believe your symptoms are from a defective processor from here unless it is related to the Integrated Graphics: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Does Device Manager show any errors when you open it?

How about Windows Event Viewer under Errors?

Anything that can lead you to find out what hardware or software is causing the issue?

0 Likes