PC hard lockup after ryzen 5 2400g driver install

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g

M/B: MSI B450M Pro-M2

RAM: G.SKILL F4-3000C16S-8GISB

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

HDD: WD Blue 4TB

Monitor: ASUS VS248

BIOS Mode: UEFI

I bought the CPU/MB/RAM/HDD yesterday and i did a fresh install of windows. Everything seemed to work fine after the install, then i downloaded and installed win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.10.1-oct18. Installer asked to restart pc and so i did. After the restart as soon as windows displayed the image that you click to login the pc crashed and there was no signal to the screen, the HDD made a sound like it stopped getting power, mouse and keyboard went off, cpu fan increased speed a bit and on motherboard the CPU led lighted.

I made many attempts to fix it.

a. With older drivers (the one on MSI cd and the older one on AMD website).

b. Offline fresh install windows and install drivers.

c. Fresh install windows and then wait for all updates before trying to install drivers.

d. Changed RAM slot. Tried with RAM on both XMP profiles (2800, 2933) and without one (2133) using correct voltage for each, also entered manually RAM speed and CAS. I did memtests successfully.

e. Tweaked BIOS to force IGP with 2GB or let it on auto, entered a fixed 1240 Mhz on gfx with 1.1vid or let it on auto (400, 1.1v)

f. I tried with vga cable, DVI cable, HDMI cable, even bought and tried a new hdmi certified gold plated cable. Even with no monitor connected behavior was the same.

g. Updated BIOS.

Did many combinations of all the above, every time the result was the same, after driver install and restart the pc would lock, most times just after the windows photo was visible, some times just before that. When i tried the older driver on MSI cd the windows would boot but on device manager the driver was disabled due to error code 43. After logging on safe mode and rolling back driver to microsoft basic display adapter pc would work fine.

I will try another PSU tomorrow but i cant think of anything else to do, i already spent so many hours that i should be working. Any advice will be very appreciated.

1 Solution
cktdesign
Journeyman III

My new EVGA 750 G3+ PSU just arrived and after install everything works fine. The problem was with my old Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU. Lesson learned, new CPU need new PSU (or at least not so old as mine), I guess it has something to do with new C5, C6 states or with the ripples level.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
cktdesign
Journeyman III

My new EVGA 750 G3+ PSU just arrived and after install everything works fine. The problem was with my old Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU. Lesson learned, new CPU need new PSU (or at least not so old as mine), I guess it has something to do with new C5, C6 states or with the ripples level.

0 Likes

Hi! I have the same problem now with Ryzen 5 2400g! How is it possible that the PSU is involved? Can it be a problem about Drivers Adrenalin Radeon? 

0 Likes