cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Pc freezes when installing amd display driver

My pc was working just fine and i had the latest amd drivers installed and i could update them and reinstall them without problems so one day i reinstalled windows 10 (i was playing the same day on the amd gpu before i reinstall it and it was working fine) so after i reinstalled the windows i downloaded the latest amd drivers and when i install it it works fine untill it starts installing the amd display driver the pc gives me a bsod saying thread_stuck_in_device_driver and then it restarts and everytime it gets to the login screen it gives me the same bsod untill it restarts 3 times and boots into the advanced startup options so i have to go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and then my pc works just fine and i installed windows 8 and when i install the drivers it works fine and it completely installs it but when i attempt to launch a game or anything it gives me a black screen for a couple of seconds and then says amd display driver has stopped working and successfly recovered so i tried to install windows 10 again but this time when it starts installing the amd display drivers once it installs it the whole pc freeze even the keyboard so i have to force shut it down with the power  button and i attemped the following fix  but it didn't work so please can anyone help me!

1. download amd 15.11.1 catalyst driver and install it.
2. restart your computer.
3.download 16.2.2 driver and then install it.
NOTE:.DONT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.You will get stuck while restarting(happened everytime in my case)

4.shutdown your computer, turn on your computer and then restart your computer.
5.now go to the amd setting and check for amd update.6.click on the 17.4.3 recommend update and update it.
7.when it ask for restart dont restart immediately first check in task manager if ur amd manager still working in the background(trust me while it show completed it was still intstalling).

8.after then repeat 4 step.

26 Replies

It would immensely be helpful to know your computer Make & Model hardware and software and GPU installed.

Otherwise is it will be a guessing game.

0 Likes

I have a lenovo z51-70 laptop here are the specs:

AMD Radeon R9 M375 

Intel HD Graphics 5500

I7-5500U

8GB of ram

Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (same version i had before the whole problem)

Model name:80k6

0 Likes

Please read Laptop graphics update...How to 

"Laptops have different requirements/procedures than desktop computers when updating graphics drivers. It all depends on the processors....either Intel or AMD.

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

I already have the lastest intel drivers, chipset drivers and BIOS drivers but the problem still happens

0 Likes

The latest R9 M375 Laptop driver is from  05/22/2019  version 19.5.2 from here: AMD Radeon™ R9 M375 Drivers & Support | AMD 

The drivers you are installing a very old. Try installing the latest for Windows 10 and see if it makes a difference.

I did try to install the lastest drivers i only tried the solution mentioned in the question after trying the lastest drivers more than 10 times and it didn't work

0 Likes

There was a random anecdote about disabling the intel igpu in the device manager and then using the new driver installation or updating via option in existing driver notifications. Reference, 

https://community.amd.com/thread/227701 

The thing is everytime i install a very old catalayst it successfully installs but after i reboot i keep getting a black screen every minute and the pc freezes for around 2 minutes and whenever i assign a game or app to run on the amd card it when i start it the laptop lags a lot then gives me a black screen and freezes then comes back to normal after 2 minutes and the game/app never launches but with crimson and adrenaline the laptop freezes at amd display driver and i have to force shut it down and when i boot it it gives me a black screen forever and i have to get into safe mode to remove the amd drivers for it to work

0 Likes

Older than 19.x.x drivers are going to have a really bad time on Windows 10.

I once helped my friend and realized that he first required the most up to date Intel HD Graphics driver, because remember your Radeon needs to be able to use the "Switchable Graphics" option with the Intel HD graphics.

It can also be that the thermal paste on your onboard Radeon has dried up, but I would recommend:

1. First download all the latest supported GRAPHICS drivers from Intel and AMD,

2. Download DDU display driver uninstaller,

3. Restart in safe mode without networking,

4. Uninstall Intel HD graphics with DDU without restarting option,

5. Uninstall Radeon graphics with DDU and then restart,

6. Firstly now install the Intel HD Graphics driver,

7. Restart PC, now install Radeon driver,

8. Also make sure to have no external screens connected while doing the installation.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Did you get the issue resolved?I am facing the same problem with my z51-70 after updating windows 10..It causes BSOD error and the computer works on intel VGA after disabling the AMD driver. I have tried the basic AMD VGA driver from lenovo site which always causes BSOD error and also from the AMD website which causes the screen to freeze, which turns back to normal only after uninstalling AMD driver using cleanup utility in safe mode...

Please share any solutions which might work..

0 Likes

@vicky05,

I am not sure which dedicated graphics card your laptop is using, but you can try the following:

- Do a clean uninstall in safe mode of both your Intel HD Graphics and AMD Graphics with DDU, whilst keeping your laptop disconnected from the Internet,

- Install the latest Intel HD Graphics driver with the most relevant compatibility to your OS; for example, the x64 driver for Windows 10, otherwise the x64 driver for Windows 7 if you have a 64-bit OS,

- Then you can try the modded drivers, NimeZ, by AmernimeZone which improves compatibility of newer AMD drivers for older/unsupported AMD products.

Kind regards

Hello. I know you probably forgot about this reply, but I just want to thank you. This worked for me. Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to install the driver successfully, not only that, but I can run games now that I couldn't before. Thank you so much, have a fantastic day.

Hi LolxDis,

Congrats for solving your problem...
would you please let me EXACTLY what drivers versions you used...
i'm still facing the same problem, and contacted AMD and Microsoft, and also tried the solution you say it solved it, but no success..
So, may be it related to the drivers versions..
thanks in advance for your help..

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

install the driver provided by your Laptop OEM

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Already tried and it didn't work

0 Likes

Have you let windows install the drivers it thinks the card needs? Or is this what you're getting when you do that - the old catalyst drivers?

0 Likes

I tried to let windows install the drivers but it still happens the thing is even without installing any drivers just having the AMD card enabled freezes the laptop

0 Likes

It looks like you're a victim of "Windows 10 update killed my ....". I would definitely head over to the windows community and let them know - you might get a support ticket set up and it may be something they're already looking in to from a support standpoint.

The only other option would be to go back to 1809. And possibly test drivers from there.

Some multi GPU laptops have had their GPU driver support cut off ( just an end of life cycle thing ) and this mostly effects Enduro setups.

I think 19.5.1 marked the occasion so 19.4.3 was the last driver stack those would run in if they're in the support listing of the driver.

Laptops aren't shining examples of bios update champions... but you might check that out just in case.

Otherwise some error is being made in the patch notes. For example, It doesn't help that an r7 and an r5 can coexist on a laptop .... and that both of those are also potentially discrete GPUs. This causes compatibility headaches I'm sure.

0 Likes

Try these drivers: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-z-series-laptops/z51-70/down... (all drivers by the manufacturer lenovo for your model)

The GPU driver: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-z-series-laptops/z51-70/down...

If that does not help try going on their community forums and tell them about the problems. Or you may just turn to their customer support and seek for assistance from there.

0 Likes
Ahmed287
Journeyman III

I have faced the same issue..

After so many attempts i found out the lack of dedicated vram caused the issue and i could find a way to literally fix it

Here's how,

The Intel graphics family drivers installation was no problem at all, so i installed the latest version and next i tricked the system to show more dedicated vram by adding a registry.

Check your dedicated vram before doing the following steps

First you may have to do a registry backup by doing export in the file tab in case you mess up.

In registry editor go to the following path

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel

And right click the intel folder and add a new key named GMM

And inside it right click and go to new > DWORD (32 bit) value

And rename the new registry to DedicatedSegmentSize

Please make sure you type in the correct format mentioned above

And double click that registry and enter a hexadecimal value of 512 or 1024

Save and exit

Now restart the pc 

Make sure your dedicated vram has increased than before

And now install a fairly old version of the amd drivers like v8 or 13 or 14 and restart again

And now you can update your drivers to the preferred latest drivers using windows update... And you're good to go

0 Likes

Guys, found the solution that worked for me. Just update the god **bleep** BIOS.

0 Likes

It's Already c2cn21ww, and still no success...

0 Likes
Abir
Journeyman III

Amd A6-5200

With hd graphics. HD-8400/RE series.

Pls give me my driver link. I download most from the website. Amd adrenaline. But after installing, my screen freezes for 2 second after every 4 seconds. Pls help with solution

0 Likes

you should try latest PC with gradation to avoid this type of stuff like freezing or hanging 

0 Likes
ammarkarim
Journeyman III

Hello my friend

Did you find any solutions for the problem you mentioned?

I have the same laptop with same specifications  as you & i have tried all internet solutions but no gain with it .

I have a lenovo Z51-70 laptop :

AMD Radeon R9 M375 

Intel HD Graphics 5500

Intel I7-5500U

8GB of ram

Windows 10  operating system

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Smartize
Journeyman III

Hi Everyone...
Anyone here had a Specific solution for this case...
as i still can't run game on my laptop since 2 years or more...

0 Likes