cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

71abdelrhman27
Adept I

Pc freezes when installing amd display driver

My pc was working just fine and i had the latest amd drivers installed and i could update them and reinstall them without problems so one day i reinstalled windows 10 (i was playing the same day on the amd gpu before i reinstall it and it was working fine) so after i reinstalled the windows i downloaded the latest amd drivers and when i install it it works fine untill it starts installing the amd display driver the pc gives me a bsod saying thread_stuck_in_device_driver and then it restarts and everytime it gets to the login screen it gives me the same bsod untill it restarts 3 times and boots into the advanced startup options so i have to go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and then my pc works just fine and i installed windows 8 and when i install the drivers it works fine and it completely installs it but when i attempt to launch a game or anything it gives me a black screen for a couple of seconds and then says amd display driver has stopped working and successfly recovered so i tried to install windows 10 again but this time when it starts installing the amd display drivers once it installs it the whole pc freeze even the keyboard so i have to force shut it down with the power  button and i attemped the following fix  but it didn't work so please can anyone help me!

1. download amd 15.11.1 catalyst driver and install it.
2. restart your computer.
3.download 16.2.2 driver and then install it.
NOTE:.DONT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.You will get stuck while restarting(happened everytime in my case)

4.shutdown your computer, turn on your computer and then restart your computer.
5.now go to the amd setting and check for amd update.6.click on the 17.4.3 recommend update and update it.
7.when it ask for restart dont restart immediately first check in task manager if ur amd manager still working in the background(trust me while it show completed it was still intstalling).

8.after then repeat 4 step.

14 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Pc freezes when installing amd display driver

It would immensely be helpful to know your computer Make & Model hardware and software and GPU installed.

Otherwise is it will be a guessing game.

0 Likes
71abdelrhman27
Adept I

I have a lenovo z51-70 laptop here are the specs:

AMD Radeon R9 M375 

Intel HD Graphics 5500

I7-5500U

8GB of ram

Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (same version i had before the whole problem)

Model name:80k6

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Please read Laptop graphics update...How to 

"Laptops have different requirements/procedures than desktop computers when updating graphics drivers. It all depends on the processors....either Intel or AMD.

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

71abdelrhman27
Adept I

I already have the lastest intel drivers, chipset drivers and BIOS drivers but the problem still happens

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

The latest R9 M375 Laptop driver is from  05/22/2019  version 19.5.2 from here: AMD Radeon™ R9 M375 Drivers & Support | AMD 

The drivers you are installing a very old. Try installing the latest for Windows 10 and see if it makes a difference.

71abdelrhman27
Adept I

I did try to install the lastest drivers i only tried the solution mentioned in the question after trying the lastest drivers more than 10 times and it didn't work

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

There was a random anecdote about disabling the intel igpu in the device manager and then using the new driver installation or updating via option in existing driver notifications. Reference, 

https://community.amd.com/thread/227701 

benman2785
Big Boss

install the driver provided by your Laptop OEM

PC: R7 2700X @4.1GHz + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
71abdelrhman27
Adept I

Already tried and it didn't work

0 Likes