cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

forykw
Adept II

PC freezes after a couple days working (RX6800XT+C49RG9+AdrenalinDrivers)

I don't know to solve yet. I thought I had fixed but apparently not yet.

First, it was freezing after 7-10 hours... then I used the AMD Driver cleanup tool (amdcleanuputility.exe) ( that removes all AMD drivers in safe mode). Then installed the latest version of the adrenaline drivers: non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.1-win10-64bit-feb1.exe

After this, I left all defaults (changed nothing) and it worked for about 3-4 days (24/7), without any problems. Then it freezes again. There is no specific reproducibility procedure. I can do basically anything with the GPU, and when it freezes can be while I am doing nothing or while I am playing something or seeing a video. Totally random and I can't figure out why yet. Never blue screens or crashes the PC... only freezes.

I am back on the Intel GPU... waiting for new drivers to see if there is any news.

My setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400, 3900 MHz

Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-Plus Gaming (BIOS 05/27/2020)

RAM: 2x16 GB (Micron)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (Shappire Nitro+, no BIOS available)

PSU: Corsair AX850

Monitor: Samsung LC49RG90SSEXXY (1004.0 Firmware)

Windows 10.0.19042

I keep reporting to AMD, but not sure if its helping.

0 Likes
3 Replies
forykw
Adept II

Update 1

Hey everyone... 5 days with the GPU (RX6800XT) physically installed and running (but without any drivers from AMD installed), while running from the internal Intel CPU/GPU.

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes, the 3 keyboard lights light up... Numlock, CapsLock and Scroll lock. Which usually indicate some kind of problem if I am not mistaken.

Either way... 5 days update without any freezes or whatever. So this is unlikely to be a hardware problem. Most likely a driver issue or a way windows deals with a driver.

Either way, today I just updated windows to the recently released update: OS Build 19042.804

So let's see how this build behaves in exactly the same situation (running from intel GPU while having the RX6800XT running without any drivers).

0 Likes

Ok... clean install of 21.2.2 and after 24 hours... freezes again. Hopeless... This time I have also disabled the Enhanced Sync (both on the card and on the monitor fixed it to 120Hz).

So... back to intel drivers/GPU.... which has a record uptime of 3 months without issues. And then I need to reboot because of updates or something similar.

0 Likes

After testing the card on an AMD mobo, I validated that everything was fine with the card. Apparently the Intel setup I have has a compatibility problem somewhere with this card.

So, I have basically bought a new AMD setup (X570) to validate that that was really the problem. Will update this thread once I have validation complete (more than 2 days runtime without any glitches, freezes or reboots).

0 Likes