Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Nagrenol
Challenger

PC Crashing when using Ryzen Master Tool to overclock

.... one step away from yoooouuu \m/

Wasn't 100% where this should go, but feel free to move if needed

So in the last 2 months or so I've been getting a number of issues.

Started with getting crashes from reverting OC's in ryzen master to what it would normally be

- Original thread on that here

That still occurs. Sometimes now I'll be able to revert it back down by slowly lowering the settings back and forth applying each time. The lowest I can get it back to is 4000 / 1.1. Anything other it'll crash. In some cases it'll save like it's all fine at the 4/1.1 and then crash a few mins later.

Now getting blue screens. The 4 of these in the last month or two.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

The last two I got within a short enough period of time.

Tried a lot of steps found on line, cmd prompts, tried to reset pc (wouldn't take effect). etc etc

The only thing I've changed recently was upgrading from a samsung 970 QVO to a samsung 980 pro nvme. But the ryzen issues were happening long before I changed that.

I'm probably going to drop it into local PC shop to take a look at it cause im kinda done with the thing at this stage So firing this out to the hive brain before I do so.. any idea's here??

0 Likes
6 Replies
Chester1994
Challenger

"The only change I made in the last week since this happened was updating the x570-e to the latest bios."

I see that you also reverted the BIOS updated so the BIOS shouldn´t be the issue.

Try using the 22.1 GPU drivers. There is an issue with newer GPU drivers that end up overclocking your CPU without you noticing. Your GPU drivers be messing your CPU. (I know it´s weird, but there are multiple articles talking about it).

I would also try with only 1 monitor connected.

I know that I´m giving you GPU related fixes for a CPU issue, but Ryzen´s seem to be somehow related to Adrenalin drivers.

"The only change I made in the last week since this happened was updating the x570-e to the latest bios." I see that you also reverted the BIOS updated so the BIOS shouldn´t be the issue.

- Yup, was the first thing I did. Roll back but the issue persisted. Updated to latest but same issue. continued.

Try using the 22.1 GPU drivers. There is an issue with newer GPU drivers that end up overclocking your CPU without you noticing. Your GPU drivers be messing your CPU. (I know it´s weird, but there are multiple articles talking about it).

- I saw this and noticed so odd behaviour with my CPU alright, no harm in trying. Will ddu and go back to it and see how it goes. 

I would also try with only 1 monitor connected.

- Single monitor.. Ewww,  that sounds very much like peasant behaviour!! 

I know that I´m giving you GPU related fixes for a CPU issue, but Ryzen´s seem to be somehow related to Adrenalin drivers.

- No bother, I know how things might seem totally unrelated but end up being the cause etc 

0 Likes

"- Single monitor.. Ewww,  that sounds very much like peasant behaviour!! "

LMAO I´m telling you to try at least for a day, to see if it helps you.

Tel me how it went.

DDU'd and back to 22.1.2 + single peasant monitor

Played a few games, went to revert changes back to normal in ryzen master after and crash as usual.

Will continue to watch it over the weekend and see if any of the blue screens occur

0 Likes

I will say something I've noticed that no matter what I revert the 3900X to, normally 4000 / 1

If I restart the PC the rate always jumps to the 43k in task master, if its manually set of if I use the default option

Need to go in and set it manually back

0 Likes

What I completely forgot about is that modern CPUs have turbo boost. The CPU might be overclocking itself without your conscent.

I watched this video, and this guy supposedly disabled turbo boost. Give it a try. It will affect performance, but at least, if it works, it should not crash anymore (assuming that the problem is turbo boost).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA

Go to Regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, system, current control set, Control, Power, Power Settings, and mess with those folders.

Remember to make a backup of your Windows Registry just in case.

0 Likes