cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

apiengar
Adept I

PC crashes when installing display driver

I've gone through multiple forums trying to troubleshoot my problem. Others have had similar issues, but their solutions haven't worked for me. Hoping someone will be kind enough to help!

I'm using an old Sapphire R9 270X 4GB graphics card (wanted to upgrade to the new RX 6000 series before the great GPU shortage hit!).

My apologies in advance for the long post, I've tried to insert headers to make it easier to read!

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (no OC)
MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB of 2933MHz RAM (8x2 sticks in 1 & 3 slots)
Sapphire AMD/ATI Dual-X R9 270X (4GB) graphics card
Corsair 600W PSU
Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA SSD
1TB 7200 RPM internal HDD
Paired with a 32" LCD TV as a monitor connected via HDMI.
OS - Windows 10 v2004
Graphics driver - Adrenalin 20.9.1

The above configuration was working perfectly until January 2021, when I updated Windows to the 20H2 version.

Initial problems
Issues faced: Driver timeout error (have sent multiple crash logs to AMD via the automated tool)
Affected applications: Everything [Games (Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Dishonored, Borderlands 3, etc), Chrome Browser (while watching YouTube, Netflix), MS Word, even a number of times when the system was idling]
My feeble attempts to fix the issue: Updated all drivers & BIOS (including AMD Radeon software and chipset). Rolled back to 20.9.1.

Result: No change, error persisted.

The catastrophe
I read every forum discussion I could find, tried everything (DDU, AMD Cleanup Utility, ran the DISM and SFC checks). No change. Then in my desperation, I decided to clean install Windows. BIG mistake.

Error Description

• After Windows install (via older USB created with Media Creation Tool, v2004), OS loads, with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. 
  • When I try to install Adrenalin, the screen flashes for a tenth of a second, resolution changes from the default 1920x1080 to a higher resolution in that flash of a second. 
  • Immediately, I get the hardware disconnected sound, screen goes black. Basically, the system crashes (RGB mouse stops flashing, connected audio interface's USB LED turns off).
  • System doesn't reboot. When I long press the power button to reboot, I get the POST beep, then the BIOS display, then the MSI logo appears with the rotating dots. Then the dots freeze, my RGB mouse turns off and the system crashes again.
  • After 2 times of hard reboot via the power button, system goes into Automatic Repair, OS loads properly, says "we've uninstalled a few updates to recover your system". 
  • Device Manager shows the R9 270X, but with the error badge.
  • Dxdiag says error code 39.
  • Note: OS always loads in Safe Mode.

My attempts to fix the issue so far:

• DDUed, then booted back into safe mode and tried to install Adrenalin. Didn't work, just said "Failed to install" and "Get more details". 
  • Tried to reboot, but got the system crash again immediately before OS loading. 
  • Again hard reboot, automatic repair, then safe mode and DDU (I used the AMD Cleanup Utility a number of times too, independent of DDU, of course). 
  • Installed the latest AMD chipset driver and Ryzen Master from the official AMD website. No problems. 
  • Again safe mode, tried to install Adrenalin. This time, I got Error 192. 
  • Ran DISM, SFC, something got repaired.
  • Tried installing Adrenalin again, but faced the identical crash. 
  • DDUed, tried to install, got Error 99. 
  • Rebooted by disabling driver signature enforcement, tried to install Adrenalin, but faced the identical crash.
  • Got frustrated and formatted everything, downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 20H2 and tried to install Adrenalin again.
  • No change! Same problem keeps happening. 
  • I tried installing without the LAN cable connected, disabled automatic install of manufacturer apps, maybe Windows was trying to download drivers on its own? Nope, no change. Faced the identical crash.
  • I also tried installing only the driver, not the Adrenalin software. Didn't work.

So currently, I'm stuck. It's clearly a driver conflict somewhere, but I don't know enough to solve this on my own anymore! I don't have another system in which I can install the GPU to check if the hardware is faulty, and I can't really go to a friend's place in the current pandemic! I tried a workaround by installing the GPU in the second PCIe x16 slot, but same result.

I know it's an old graphics card, but I don't even have an option of getting a new card with the current inventory shortage.

Once again, my sincere apologies for the loooong post, I hope it's not too troublesome. 

23 Replies
misiosite
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have identical case. Do you have solution?

Mike 

0 Likes
misiosite
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have identical case with my windows 10 . Do you have solution?

Mike 

0 Likes

any solution for this? have the same error here

0 Likes

well I have studied some forums here try Disabling ULPS in Regedit

0 Likes

Any solution for this issue? Have the same problem here

0 Likes
BlacklLlist
Adept II

Same problem me too , but me after instal finish scren blink and then BSoD thred stuck in device driver

0 Likes
UnholyChrysalis
Journeyman III

I use an RX 570 and have the same issue but only with the second x16 slot, the first slot is fine.  But i want to use an m.2 pcie card for 2 m.2 SSDs and only the primary x16 slot will see them both.  I also never got the option to boot into safe mode with all the rescue media available.  I may have to use linux instead but i don't know if the same thing will happen and i'm not familiar with it at all.  Hopefully the driver issue gets some attention.  And yeah, microsoft basic driver works fine for it.....

0 Likes

@UnholyChrysalis wrote:

I use an RX 570 and have the same issue but only with the second x16 slot, the first slot is fine.  But i want to use an m.2 pcie card for 2 m.2 SSDs and only the primary x16 slot will see them both.  I also never got the option to boot into safe mode with all the rescue media available.  I may have to use linux instead but i don't know if the same thing will happen and i'm not familiar with it at all.  Hopefully the driver issue gets some attention.  And yeah, microsoft basic driver works fine for it.....

I'm sure you've already done this, but have you tried using an external USB flash drive (with a copy of the Windows 10 OS) as bootable media? It may help you get into safe mode and diagnose the issue. Personally, safe mode at least gave me a couple of error IDs, which gave me a few more options to address. 

0 Likes
apiengar
Adept I

My apologies to everyone for the delay in replying, I was down with Covid-19, took me a while to get off the bed and back to my PC!

I had a super-long email conversation with AMD customer care. They walked me through everything I'd already done, and ultimately, what they recommended sounded something like this: "Oops, looks like your graphics card is screwed. What're you doing with such an old card anyway? Ditch it, get a new one. 'k bye."

Unfortunately, I don't know which part of the world they live in, because getting a GPU today is tricky. Here in India, it's crazy — mostly there's no stock, and if there is, it's US$2250 for an RTX 3070, US$1000+ for RTX 3060, and those too from shady retailers. 

So my solution: Extremely reluctantly, I had to go back a couple of generations and switch from Red to Green. Got a new GTX 1050Ti Mini for US$220, and I'm hoping it will see me through this great GPU shortage.

To everyone facing the same problem, I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a proper solution. Hope you guys manage to figure something out! 

0 Likes
brumboom
Journeyman III

Привет! Ответ на русском. Я плохо знаю английский. Извините. У меня возникла похожая проблема с Radeon 530 и A6 9220 со встроенной R4. Мне удалось на половину решить проблему.  1. Перезапустить Windows в безопасном режиме. 2. Установить для встроенной видеокарты драйвер по умолчанию или отключить одно из видео устройств. Данное решение позволит использовать устройство и пробовать решить проблему другими способами. Проблема началась примерно 12.05.2021. У меня есть такие симптомы как низкая производительность и не регулируется яркость экрана. Пробовал устанавливать разные драйверы, но проблема не решается.

0 Likes

@brumboom wrote:

Привет! Ответ на русском. Я плохо знаю английский. Извините. У меня возникла похожая проблема с Radeon 530 и A6 9220 со встроенной R4. Мне удалось на половину решить проблему.  1. Перезапустить Windows в безопасном режиме. 2. Установить для встроенной видеокарты драйвер по умолчанию или отключить одно из видео устройств. Данное решение позволит использовать устройство и пробовать решить проблему другими способами. Проблема началась примерно 12.05.2021. У меня есть такие симптомы как низкая производительность и не регулируется яркость экрана. Пробовал устанавливать разные драйверы, но проблема не решается.

Hey no problem about the language, brumboom. Nothing a quick google translate can't solve!

As you can see from my original post, I tried your fix, but it didn't work, just gave me a set of error IDs. Hope it can benefit others, though. 

0 Likes

Сожалею о том, что мои ответ не был для вас полезным. Желаю Вам скорейшего выздоровления. В примечании Вы писали о том, что Windows всегда грузится в безопасном режиме. В этом виновен утилита AMD Cleanup. Чтобы Windows в обычном режиме нажмите Win + R, в окне загрузки msconfig и нажмите Enter, во вкладке Загрузка убрать пометку с Безопасный режим и нажмите кнопку применить, перезагрузить для нормальной загрузки Windows

0 Likes

I recently had a very similar journey after a Windows update. Pretty much tried everything you listed there. In the end, however, the problem turned out to be quite simple.

It appeared that my RAMs were screwed after the Windows update (4 sticks of 8 GB). A Memtest that I tried out of absolute desperation revealed it. I plucked out all sticks and let the system run on 2. Things normalized. I was suspecting that the other 2 were done for. But what do you know? I put them firmly back in after a while and they have been working all fine. For some reason, the update had induced a shower of RAM errors on sticks that were completely fine. In the end, just removing and putting back my RAMs solved the issue.

I am sorry if I sound like I am oversimplifying or being ignorant to your troubles. But this is my experience. I had all those problems myself and this did it in the end for me. 

@gilardes wrote:

I recently had a very similar journey after a Windows update. Pretty much tried everything you listed there. In the end, however, the problem turned out to be quite simple.

It appeared that my RAMs were screwed after the Windows update (4 sticks of 8 GB). A Memtest that I tried out of absolute desperation revealed it. I plucked out all sticks and let the system run on 2. Things normalized. I was suspecting that the other 2 were done for. But what do you know? I put them firmly back in after a while and they have been working all fine. For some reason, the update had induced a shower of RAM errors on sticks that were completely fine. In the end, just removing and putting back my RAMs solved the issue.

I am sorry if I sound like I am oversimplifying or being ignorant to your troubles. But this is my experience. I had all those problems myself and this did it in the end for me. 

That's interesting, wish I'd done it before buying a new GPU! But to be honest, it didn't even occur to me that the problem might have been with the RAM sticks, since it seemed to be totally a GPU issue, what with the driver error and all. I did think that it could have been a motherboard problem, but what with the pandemic in full swing here and all stores/service centers closed, there was no way I could test it.

I'll totally remember your solution, though. Thanks for sharing, and hey, no need to be sorry! Heaven knows what works and what doesn't, so every little bit helps! Glad you got it sorted out.

0 Likes

I would never think about RAM either. Basically, I was also getting constant driver timeouts. So I was deadlocked on the idea that the issue had to be GPU-related. As I said before, I went on to check RAM out of complete desperation.

I wish I could have seen this post and replied earlier. This could have solved your issue or maybe not. But hey, like you said, it is definitely something I'll be thinking of as an error source in the future. Hopefully other people see this too and give it a try.

0 Likes

Replace your PSU

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
0 Likes

Wait why did this work? Ty anyway

0 Likes

I am glad it helped you. Cheers!

0 Likes
Scoty74
Adept I

I have the same problem with 21.5.1 and 21.5.2. I have make a fresh Windows 10 and install latest chipset driver and after this the 21.5.2 and on the end from the setup i lost internet connection, sound, mouse, keyboard and also my M2 Drive was new initialized. After reboot the first minutes is all fine but thene i lost the same and get a message my Hardware is changed. 

I have a AMD RX 6800 XT Midnight Black card.

I can every warn do not use 21.5.1 or 21.5.2!!!!!

Sorry for my bad english.

Zwischenablage-Bild (25 Mai 2021).png

0 Likes
kentayros5
Journeyman III

R7 370 the same prolem amd not help why?????

0 Likes

Same problem.

0 Likes

hi guys i had this problem with my asus r9 270x untill ysterday, my gpu restarts pc right after install driver and never stop restarting just operation system start over and over again,  i searched this problem in many forums and i understand that; its not a software or windows  problem,  its gpu itself.  after many search i found one and only solution for this = GET İT İN OWEN- i decided the try it and first i deeply clean gpu board(both front and back)  by alcohol and soft brush carefully. then get it in owen(taking risks) 200 degrees 10 minutes(there are some videos on int. how to do it) then let it cool, thermal paste etc.. When its time to try, boom its work. i could install last amd driver. maybe it is not a long-term solution but gave me some time to buy new one, hope this helps.  owen the gpu is your own risk.

0 Likes
KingYIEH
Adept I

I have the same issue in 2023 with 7950X. Did you manage to fix?

0 Likes