cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

patrolling
Adept I

out of range error stops post and windows boot.

I am getting an "OUT OF RANGE" message on my monitor preventing access to UEFI BIOS and Windows.  This started happening after I installed RADION DRIVERS 20.4.2 selecting GAME PROFILE under Windows 10 Pro OEM x64. 

Hardware: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard with 16GB RAM.  Gigabyte RX5700-XT 8GB video card, ASUS VZ27A monitor (2K 27" at 60 Hz with native resolution 2560 x1440). 

I have tried 3 different video cards on this box (5700XT, RX580, GIGABYTE WINDFORCE ATI/AMD) and all produce the same result.  The 5700XT produces the OUT OF RANGE error on other pc's while the other two ATI/AMD cards do not.

I feel using the GAME profile did something to both the video card and motherboard. This is when OUT OF RANGE issues started. Before deleting all AMD software video drivers the OUT OF RANGE affected only POST.  I was able to get to windows and everything worked fine. After deleting drivers when windows should start the PC hangs with a black screen and is non responsive.  I tried a monitor from a PC that works okay and it also produces the OUT OF RANGE ERROR. Same exact model monitor as above.  I have tried clearing CMOS.  Now I am not even able to boot from a USB stick to repair or reinstall Win10.

Is anyone having this or a similar issue?  Does anyone know of this problem that can assist.

1 Solution
patrolling
Adept I

This problem is so rampant someone from AMD should shout out and tell us the real reason this is happening. Something besides your video card is sending a signal to the monitor it can't handle, be it scan frequency or out of range resolutions.  I've found this message means your monitor is out of date, time to upgrade.  My video card update replaced a RX-580 with a RX 5700-XT which is a drop in replacement.  Both cards use the same Radion software.  Absolute rubbish they just don't fess up and tell you the truth.  Boot in safe mode indeed frustration.

I have this problem on an ASUS VZ27A, your normal run of the mill 2k 60 Mhz 2560 x 1440 monitor with HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA inputs.  I was using the HDMI output connector from video card to the HDMI input connector to the monitor.  During POST I saw 'OUT OF RANGE', while windows loaded I also saw OUT OF RANGE until Radion software was installed.  After video card drivers are installed OUT OF RANGE only happens during POST. Once windows is loaded with video card drivers, the monitor will reset and suddenly a good image appears using HDMI to HDMI.  Until you have the Radion software installed I could never use the HDMI monitor connector connected to a monitor.  The HDMI connector on your TV works just fine.

I learned this by plugging the video card into an open HDMI port on my television from the video card HDMI output.  I saw POST,  windows load. I could configure BIOS, I could do everything that needed doing.  I got Radion software loaded on the TV and went back to the monitor HDMI. During POST produced the OUT OF RANGE, but when windows got to the logon screen monitor would reset and all was good.  Then I started experimenting with Cables and monitor inputs.  Everything works except the HDMI to HDMI connection. 

HDMI to DisplayPort cable, HDMI to VGA cable,  DisplayPort to VGA cable, DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables all work.  I connected 2 cables to the monitor, HDMI to HDMI and DisplayPort to VGA or DisplayPort to DisplayPort .  The monitor would flip to the input source it needed during POST.   Post works fine and you can see your BIOS screen but it finishes booting windows with the port it switched to during post(VGA or DisplayPort). Once windows is loaded, If you want to use the HDMI port you have to switch to it with monitor controls.

Seemingly there is no benchmark performance loss for the monitor regardless of the input port used. There was a subjective loss of visual quality using DisplayPort. The VGA port only allows for resolutions of 1920x1080 without visual quality loss.  If you're like me and run your 2560x1440 monitor at a desktop setting of 1920x1080 anyways for reading small icons and text, the best solution might be to use a HDMI to VGA port cable and never have a 2560 x 1440 gaming experience. 

The ultimate solution is to understand why the Television HDMI port works and your monitors HDMI port does not work with the RX 5700-XT.  A little honesty and forthright from AMD would be helpful rather than telling folks to boot into safe mode, go get an additional monitor to reset the cards scan ranges, your windows install is corrupt.  All that is just bunk.

AMD, what is the DIFFERENCE between the HDMI port on my monitor and television?  Why is the plethora of RX 5700-XT cards failing for the same reason?  I won't buy a new monitor until I know the difference between the HDMI port I have and the one I would get on a new monitor.  I would happily buy a new monitor if I knew for sure it would not also have OUT OF RANGE.

Because the max resolution on my monitor for the VGA port is 1920 x 1080 and the manual switching between monitor inputs to use HDMI is a PITA, I set my BIOS using the HDMI to VGA cable.  Once that is stable I use the HDMI to HDMI cable and am okay never seeing the POST.  If I ever need to see a POST message I will just use the HDMI to VGA cable.  Well at least I have 2560x1440 gaming and desktop now.  Because of these issues I could never recommend anyone use or purchase a RX 5700-XT card.  I have a GIGABYTE card.  I bet many of them suffer from this issue.

Short of it all, don't use the monitors HDMI input with the RX 5700-XT unless you're happy with OUT OF RANGE during post.  A new HDMI to VGA cable is 12.00, a new monitor is more.   I can have a 2560x1440 gaming experience if I live without POST messages during boot.  I leave it this way because I know one day I will see post messages with HDMI to HDMI and AMD fixed the drivers for these cards.  Would a video card bios flash fix it?  Which bios? 

How awful.  I got two of these cards and got past the RMA date for one of them debugging things I should've never had to deal with.  800 bucks in video cards and this is what you get?!  Thanks a ton AMD.

Use a different monitor input or connect to your TV and you should be fine!  Well, it worked for me!!  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
patrolling
Adept I

This problem is so rampant someone from AMD should shout out and tell us the real reason this is happening. Something besides your video card is sending a signal to the monitor it can't handle, be it scan frequency or out of range resolutions.  I've found this message means your monitor is out of date, time to upgrade.  My video card update replaced a RX-580 with a RX 5700-XT which is a drop in replacement.  Both cards use the same Radion software.  Absolute rubbish they just don't fess up and tell you the truth.  Boot in safe mode indeed frustration.

I have this problem on an ASUS VZ27A, your normal run of the mill 2k 60 Mhz 2560 x 1440 monitor with HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA inputs.  I was using the HDMI output connector from video card to the HDMI input connector to the monitor.  During POST I saw 'OUT OF RANGE', while windows loaded I also saw OUT OF RANGE until Radion software was installed.  After video card drivers are installed OUT OF RANGE only happens during POST. Once windows is loaded with video card drivers, the monitor will reset and suddenly a good image appears using HDMI to HDMI.  Until you have the Radion software installed I could never use the HDMI monitor connector connected to a monitor.  The HDMI connector on your TV works just fine.

I learned this by plugging the video card into an open HDMI port on my television from the video card HDMI output.  I saw POST,  windows load. I could configure BIOS, I could do everything that needed doing.  I got Radion software loaded on the TV and went back to the monitor HDMI. During POST produced the OUT OF RANGE, but when windows got to the logon screen monitor would reset and all was good.  Then I started experimenting with Cables and monitor inputs.  Everything works except the HDMI to HDMI connection. 

HDMI to DisplayPort cable, HDMI to VGA cable,  DisplayPort to VGA cable, DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables all work.  I connected 2 cables to the monitor, HDMI to HDMI and DisplayPort to VGA or DisplayPort to DisplayPort .  The monitor would flip to the input source it needed during POST.   Post works fine and you can see your BIOS screen but it finishes booting windows with the port it switched to during post(VGA or DisplayPort). Once windows is loaded, If you want to use the HDMI port you have to switch to it with monitor controls.

Seemingly there is no benchmark performance loss for the monitor regardless of the input port used. There was a subjective loss of visual quality using DisplayPort. The VGA port only allows for resolutions of 1920x1080 without visual quality loss.  If you're like me and run your 2560x1440 monitor at a desktop setting of 1920x1080 anyways for reading small icons and text, the best solution might be to use a HDMI to VGA port cable and never have a 2560 x 1440 gaming experience. 

The ultimate solution is to understand why the Television HDMI port works and your monitors HDMI port does not work with the RX 5700-XT.  A little honesty and forthright from AMD would be helpful rather than telling folks to boot into safe mode, go get an additional monitor to reset the cards scan ranges, your windows install is corrupt.  All that is just bunk.

AMD, what is the DIFFERENCE between the HDMI port on my monitor and television?  Why is the plethora of RX 5700-XT cards failing for the same reason?  I won't buy a new monitor until I know the difference between the HDMI port I have and the one I would get on a new monitor.  I would happily buy a new monitor if I knew for sure it would not also have OUT OF RANGE.

Because the max resolution on my monitor for the VGA port is 1920 x 1080 and the manual switching between monitor inputs to use HDMI is a PITA, I set my BIOS using the HDMI to VGA cable.  Once that is stable I use the HDMI to HDMI cable and am okay never seeing the POST.  If I ever need to see a POST message I will just use the HDMI to VGA cable.  Well at least I have 2560x1440 gaming and desktop now.  Because of these issues I could never recommend anyone use or purchase a RX 5700-XT card.  I have a GIGABYTE card.  I bet many of them suffer from this issue.

Short of it all, don't use the monitors HDMI input with the RX 5700-XT unless you're happy with OUT OF RANGE during post.  A new HDMI to VGA cable is 12.00, a new monitor is more.   I can have a 2560x1440 gaming experience if I live without POST messages during boot.  I leave it this way because I know one day I will see post messages with HDMI to HDMI and AMD fixed the drivers for these cards.  Would a video card bios flash fix it?  Which bios? 

How awful.  I got two of these cards and got past the RMA date for one of them debugging things I should've never had to deal with.  800 bucks in video cards and this is what you get?!  Thanks a ton AMD.

Use a different monitor input or connect to your TV and you should be fine!  Well, it worked for me!!  

0 Likes
patrolling
Adept I

Last Post on this matter.  I received the DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable today.  It worked the best and as good as HDMI to HDMI.  Benchmark scores are a little higher.  The DP to DP cable allowed display of POST messages and maintained the 2560x1440 desk top resolution.

Time Spy at 2560 x 1440 is 9 484 GFX = 8 442 and CPU = 9 734 on ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII Wifi MB, Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 16 GB DDR 4000 memory, Gigabyte RX 5700-XT video card.

Having out of Range? Try a different input on your monitor.  I recommend DP to DP.

0 Likes

I had a similar but quite different problem in the past concerning an Acer 2K monitor.

When I booted up using HDMI I had no video at all, no error messages just a black screen,  until Windows started up. Then it worked normally but not during boot up or POST.

But then I found out that when I connected the same Acer 2K Monitor by using a DP-DP cable, I had video during POST and was able to enter BIOS.

So if I needed to enter BIOS or see how the computer is booting up from POST to Windows I connected the DP cable to the monitor and then afterwards switched to HDMI cable which I had both cables on my computer desk behind my monitor.

Later I purchased a Acer 4k Monitor which has both HDMI and DP inputs. With HDMI connected I have video during POST which I use because it is connected to my AVR Receiver which only has HDMI input for 5.1 sound. Plus I also get 4K video. So I have my DP as a backup in case I need to use it for troubleshooting purposes.

Some monitors just don't work during POST.

0 Likes