cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Normalhuman78
Journeyman III

OpenGL version outdated

I recently updated to a new desktop, however, I have found that programs that use OpenGL don't work. I ran GPU-Z to try and diagnose the problem and it seems like OpenGL is still on version 1.1 instead of the supported 4.6 for my Radeon R5 430 GPU. I have made sure several times that the Drivers are updated. Here is a screenshot of the GPU-Z report:

Normalhuman78_0-1623162302667.png

I also have integrated Intel HD graphics 530 and an Intel i7-6700  processor. I use an external ethernet connection.

0 Likes
5 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @Normalhuman78 

Yes that does not seem normal, my RX 480 shows OpenGL 4.6 where your's show OpenGL 1.1 in GPU-z, I would recommend using the latest version of Windows 10 or 7 and:

1. Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).

2. Manually download AMD driver from here https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r5-series/amd-radeon-r5-400-series/amd-radeon-r5-...

2. Restart computer in Safe Mode.

3. Uninstall Radeon Graphics driver with DDU with Windows in Safe Mode.

4. Restart computer.

5. Immediately install that AMD driver.

6. Also try to run your applications with the Radeon graphics when right-clicking on them.

Additional Note: I was once able to help a friend by first updating the Intel Integrated Graphics and then doing the steps above to install the Radeon Graphics, since the Intel Integrated Graphics and Radeon graphics have to communicate correctly with each other on laptops. You can even try uninstalling the Intel HD Graphics and Radeon Graphics at the same time with DDU, but then you have to firstly install the latest Intel Graphics and then after restart install the Radeon Graphics.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Thank you for your help, but this doesn't seem to have done much. In GPU-Z both cards still show as having OpenGL 1.1. Is it possible that I could manually install a more updated version of OpenGL?

0 Likes

Hi @Normalhuman78 

That is unfortunate to hear, unfortunately the only way to install OpenGL drivers is to install the official graphics drivers, since they are written specifically for your graphics card architecture.

Do not try downloading OpenGL.dll's or something of that kind from 3rd party websites since they will most likely be malicious software. I am sorry that I could not be of help thus far, maybe I will respond later, but the developers will have to respond to this one.

Hopefully, @xhuang  @dorisyan  @dipak  could refer the right people to your problem.

Kind regards

0 Likes

I think you're right. I went to open photoshop and it said "it detected an error in the display driver, update or reinstall the driver then check the graphics processor and retry". So, apparently, it didn't work for the RX5700XT.

Thank you

0 Likes

It is possible that they forgot to include working OpenGL Dynamic Linked Lybraries drivers for some of their cards in some of the newer drivers, maybe it will help to revert to a older stable driver and hopefully AMD will come to light on this situation.

I have had issues in the past with my OpenGL drivers that had to be fixed through newer updates or by reverting to older drivers which is not an optimal solution.

Thankfully my OpenGL drivers were working last time I tested on 21.5.2 since I was able to run Doom 2016 with OpenGL.

I don't know if it will help switching the GPU workload to 'Compute' instead of 'Graphics' in the applications you guys are trying to open, but OpenGL 1.1 will definitely be too old of a version to run most OpenGL applications, I think OpenGL ES and OpenGL 2, 3 are mostly used.

Kind regards

0 Likes