cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TurboSlayer
Adept I

OpenCL not working with RX 6700 XT

I'm having the same problem as what is described in this post. For some reason it doesn't let me reply (maybe cause I'm new) so I've started a new thread. 

Unlike them, I haven't tested other cards and ubuntu versions but basically the problem is the same as what he described it as: "6700xt + 21.10 + Ubuntu 18/20 = clinfo is fixed but still no OpenCL device available"

In response to dipak's reply, I have indeed added the user to both render and video groups. The full details of my installation can be found in this post I made on askubuntu. 

1 Solution
TurboSlayer
Adept I

Solved! Credit to Oisin Carroll from my AskUbuntu post here.

The workaround is to use ROCm, not amdgpu or amdgpu-pro.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Boot into kernel 5.6-oem (any one will do, I used 5.6.0-1056-oem).
  2. Follow guide here

If you get an error saying dependencies not met when following the guide:

1. sudo apt install aptitude
  2. sudo aptitude install rocm-dkms
  3. Choose the 'N' option when it asks for it.
  4. Reboot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
TurboSlayer
Adept I

Sorry but I'm gonna have to give this a bump. 

608xperience
Adept I

I can confirm the problem on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the amdgpu-pro 21.10-1247438. Added to video and render groups. clinfo shows the platform, but no devices.

0 Likes
TurboSlayer
Adept I

Solved! Credit to Oisin Carroll from my AskUbuntu post here.

The workaround is to use ROCm, not amdgpu or amdgpu-pro.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Boot into kernel 5.6-oem (any one will do, I used 5.6.0-1056-oem).
  2. Follow guide here

If you get an error saying dependencies not met when following the guide:

1. sudo apt install aptitude
  2. sudo aptitude install rocm-dkms
  3. Choose the 'N' option when it asks for it.
  4. Reboot
0 Likes

I hope ROCm works for you. Video was super glitchy when I tried it, with all sorts of artifacts and unstable writes to screen. And if you're doing any crypto, none of my GPU miners were able to detect OpenCL even though clinfo said it was fine.

Good luck. YMMV.

[ Edit to add: I see you downgraded to a 5.6 kernel. That probably explains the stable ROCm support. Glad it's working for you. ]

0 Likes

@608xperience wrote:

[ Edit to add: I see you downgraded to a 5.6 kernel. That probably explains the stable ROCm support. Glad it's working for you. ]

Yeah, it says on the installation guide that kernel 5.4 or 5.6-oem is required. 

@608xperience wrote:

I hope ROCm works for you. Video was super glitchy when I tried it, with all sorts of artifacts and unstable writes to screen. And if you're doing any crypto, none of my GPU miners were able to detect OpenCL even though clinfo said it was fine.

I access my rig remotely so I didn't have to experience those nasty artifacts. Clinfo didn't detect the card for me with kernel 5.8 anyway so I still had to downgrade.

Good luck to you too. Hope it works for you as well.

0 Likes

Thanks. Since the new 20.04 LTS shipped with 5.8, I'm disinclined to downgrade. I'll hold out for the amdgpu-pro driver to resolve the issue.

Cheers!

0 Likes