cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

creothbaois
Journeyman III

Obscure driver problem

-For some reason my graphics driver dies in a day or two every time I reboot it. I can get it working by updating to a DIFFERENT OPTION.. the list Device Manager gives me in UpdateDrive>BrowseComputer>ChooseFromAList has 2 "vega 8 graphics" choices (same version number!) 1 "vega 8 mobile graphics" (which is the newest and required to run the AMD software Lenovo update suggests..) and a Microsoft basic display adapter.  I can choose any of the 3 vega drivers options and get it working but not every time either but always seem to get it back online (some cycling may be required). No matter what every time they fail in a day or two. Works great when it works. Just performed a clean install to no avail. Some insight please! This is the strangest problem I've ever had. YouTube always works. Completely offline games always works. Online classes and video calling freeze for a couple of seconds every 30s and games still animate but don't interact for the same intervals... I've tried every automatic update (I think) and nothing has however-outdated the problem.    I did have a similar problem with sound drivers but rolling them back and hiding the update solved it (newer driver made everything scratchy and sound underwater). Also DriverMax had a far better driver that worked and stable (which it no longer shows after CleanInstall, lolz).  I'm losing sleep over this problem, someone please help me (I couldn't imagine someone couldn't?).

Brand new Lenovo 330s 15arr from amazon w/expired warranty :/   Totally love it (attached)

OK thanks guys.

0 Likes
15 Replies

Have you got the Lenovo System Update tool installed, it will find every driver and even a BIOS update for your machine

0 Likes
creothbaois
Journeyman III

All they had to suggest is AMD VGA which is the "AMD Radeon Settings" program.. I went through Lenovo, amd auto update, radeon setting, device manager, and DriverMax..

I did wind up finding that superior sound driver by the way.. which also doesn't show up on anything (year and a half newer).

Some game I play's tech support forum says they are significantly convinced that it is the INTERNET which is going way over my head.. why can I get it to work by cycling drivers then? I don't want to not believe anyone, I don't know what I'm doing enough, lol.

0 Likes

get rid of the drivermax, that is not a need package

Lenovo Update is really what you should be using on their machines as they do take time to support costomers

0 Likes

Well I had already removed DriverMax, but I DID somehow snag a better sound driver before that...

0 Likes

I have lots of Lenovo lappies so I am very aware of their peculiarities. Some older machines actually have Radeon graphics.

0 Likes
creothbaois
Journeyman III

I did I did. All Lenovo Update offered was AMD VGA which downloaded as "AMD Radeon Settings" and only works with the Vega 8 Mobile Graphics selection from the above list lolz.  So when I have to cycle out of vega8mobileGraphics I totally lose some performance as well :/   (can't be good to keep doing that anyways...)

0 Likes

Honestly, I've done everything like that.. I've made strides in performance. It does get fixed, but then a day or two later the problem is back... I was in the middle of a conversation with technical support from a game (I'm not sure how reliable that is I suppose), and the last thing that was suggested (twice) was a problem with the internet.. That logic is going over my head, how could updating drivers possibly affect internet performance (at all)?

I have AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics.. is that peculiar? I though the vega 8 themselves were fine.

0 Likes

Vega is the integrated graphics on the R3 2200G processor. I suggest the driver on windows update probably is safe enough.

These days redmond is pushing DCH drivers and AMD and NVIDIA are now falling in line.

0 Likes

What windows update driver? I have a Ryzen 5 2500U. When I update old drivers I can get everything running smooth, just in a day or two the problem comes back.

0 Likes

The mobile part is basically a downclocked desktop processor. 

Probably be best to check for a BIOS update periodically, You may need to reset windows if the current setup is not cutting it.

0 Likes
creothbaois
Journeyman III

Just from Windows update/AMD Radeon Setting/Lenovo update? Because I check those and nothing -ever ever- shows up..

Also the AMD site suggests these to 20.vEtc auto installers and Lenovo update suggests this AMD VGA auto update installer... what's the deal? lol

0 Likes

The AMD automatic driver finds in 20.2.2 which is now WHQL for what it's worth

0 Likes

mhm, which will run either the vega 8 graphics or vega 8 mobile graphics, but hasn't ever picked up anything out of date (even when using the vega 8 graphics) <sigh>.  It is called AMD Radeon Software, whereas the AMD VGA update that Lenovo update suggests is called Radeon Settings. None of it is fixing my problem.

0 Likes

The first time I ran Lenovo System Update first and it came up with "AMD VGA app" with some horrible other newer driver, lol

0 Likes

maybe you should go visit the lenovo forum

ThinkPad Notebooks-Lenovo Community 

0 Likes