Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sandrino
Miniboss

Re: Notebook "bricked" after F/W update

Jump to solution

You can try to set your laptop to a previous point by going into the bios.

What i think has happened is either that your HDD is failing and /or dying, or some of the windows boot files has become corrupted

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Nope, HDD is fine, and I'm pretty sure nothing to do with windows boot files.  As I said, it's during POST, well before attempting to load Windows, that the lockup occurs.  It has all the signs of a problem with the firmware on the GPU.  

0 Kudos
sandrino
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Then perhaps it is possible to remove the driver by taking out the hdd and plugging it in to another computer as an external harddrive and then delete the crimson drivers that way, or you could buy a new hdd as gpu firmware is not permanently stuck in the gpu and then take your old hdd and transfer over the files you want.

And do not worry about the initial lack of drivers on your new hdd and for operating system, you could just innstall windows again since windows is tied to an account and not the computer itself

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Problem solved.  It was partially AMD's fault by pushing updates with the potential to lock machines.

It was partially Acer's fault by having a recovery procedure so incredibly obscure.

I finally found this amazing prescription for getting into recovery mode:

Turn the machine off, then restart with the power button.

When the "Acer" splash appears, immediately turn the machine off with the power button.

Repeat the on off cycle twice more.

On the fourth power on, don't turn the machine off.  The firmware should (and did) enter a recovery mode, utilizing a hidden partition, to enable restore to a state prior to the toxic upgrade.

I've had forty years experience in the computer business. I'm not inexperienced.  It took me over a week, with lots of false starts and useless advice, to find this solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos