Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dhstraayer
Adept I

Notebook "bricked" after F/W update

Jump to solution

I have an Acer Aspire V5 MS2377 laptop.  The other day, I got a pop-up notice that my AMD Radeon driver/support software needed upgrading.  With all the scares about security flaws, and the fact that tech support people’s first question seems to always be “Is everything updated?”, I decided to proceed with the update.

The machine is now “bricked”. The “Acer Explore Beyond Limits™ splash screen appears, and the little dots do their circle dance for a while, then everything freezes.  It never gets to the Windows boot screen.

I could take the machine in for service, but I have a hunch that the labor costs would exceed the replacement cost of the machine. 

I am extremely unhappy. I feel that AMD has in effect “stolen” my machine from me.  Do customers have any recourse in situations like this?  Or are we just at the mercy of manufacturers for whom this sort of rip-off is just an excuse to sell more hardware?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhstraayer
Adept I

Re: Notebook "bricked" after F/W update

Jump to solution

Problem solved.  It was partially AMD's fault by pushing updates with the potential to lock machines.

It was partially Acer's fault by having a recovery procedure so incredibly obscure.

I finally found this amazing prescription for getting into recovery mode:

Turn the machine off, then restart with the power button.

When the "Acer" splash appears, immediately turn the machine off with the power button.

Repeat the on off cycle twice more.

On the fourth power on, don't turn the machine off.  The firmware should (and did) enter a recovery mode, utilizing a hidden partition, to enable restore to a state prior to the toxic upgrade.

I've had forty years experience in the computer business. I'm not inexperienced.  It took me over a week, with lots of false starts and useless advice, to find this solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear you seem to be having issues.

If you can enter safe mode, you should be able to uninstall the AMD driver and this should restore functionality.

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

I've had no response to F5 wile trying to boot.  I can't even get to BIOS screen so far. 

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Note: I can’t get to safe mode, or any windows mode. It’s bricked by a lock-up in POST. I suspect a firmware update that locks the GPU.

How do you suggest I proceed?

David H. Straayer

Math and Computer Science

0 Kudos
sandrino
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Just to test, you can try to replace the CMOS battery in the laptop and see if it then can complete the "power on self test".

0 Kudos
alwayzscarlet
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I just had this issue with my laptop. I just had to reset using the power button until it entered a automatic repair and instead of selecting restore I cancelled, went into advanced settings and then got it to start up in safe mode. I then went into device manager and rolled back the drivers, then to be safe I used ccleaner to clear out anything else. I then restarted my computer and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have solid evidence that it is not a problem with CMOS battery.

0 Kudos
dhstraayer
Adept I

Jump to solution

"Reset using the power button" -- can you elaborate?  I've powered off and back on with the power button several times now.  No sign of "automatic repair".

0 Kudos
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

Have you tried acer support recovery options.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Kudos
alwayzscarlet
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I am not sure if it is the same with every laptop but after holding down the power button to shut down a few times I then did a single quick push on the power button which made it reset so when it was turned back on it went into automatic repair mode. My laptop is an Asus so I don't know if this is the same for you.

0 Kudos