Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aurumvorax
Adept I

Not able to control fans on my Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ LE

Hi there,

I find myself unable to manually adjust the fan speed of my new Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ graphics card.
After trying different driver versions, different tools (Wattman, MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx), re-installing Windows 7 and even switching to Windows 10, I finally gave up and sent the card back to vendor in exchange for another one of the same kind.
I wasn't able to control the fans on the new one however. After that I tried another model (Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse) with the same result.

Meanwhile I reached out to Sapphire in German Hardware-Forum "Hardwareluxx". I've been told that the AMD driver would interfere with the fan control, thus making a manual fan curve impossible at the moment, however this could possibly be fixed in later driver updates.

Since this haven't been the case yet I wanted to know whether AMD is aware of this issue or if there is some kind of workaround for this?

Kind regards

0 Likes
25 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Not able to control fans on my Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ LE

The issue is with your third party graphics controllers...they conflict with Wattman settings ad controls. Delete them.

Wattman fan curve does not work

0 Likes
aurumvorax
Adept I

I'm sorry, but this is not correct.
After your post I did the following:

1. Downloaded a brand new Windows-10-ISO via the Windows media creation tool
2. Installed Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Version 1803
3. Installed the newest AMD driver 18.7.1

There are no other tools interfering with Wattman now, this is a fresh, clean installation. Yet I am unable to control the fan speed of my Vega card.

I followed the guide you've linked in your post, to no avail. Once the temperature of the graphics card exceeds the set maximum, I get a warning by Adrenaline, however the fans do not start spinning.

Kind regards

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Please take a screenshot of your settings in Wattman as I did

0 Likes
aurumvorax
Adept I

Sure. This is the first thing I tried, manually setting the fan speed. As you can see, changing the values did not work.

2.PNG

Then I went for the method you suggested in the other thread. First I did reset my settings, then I changed the target temperature to a 35°C, and the maximum temperature to 60°C. Once I hit apply, the switch of the fan control panel to the left changed from "automatic" to "manual" on its own. The fans did not start spinning.

3.PNG

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Pretty simple answer...you only change the manual temperature and Power Limit. Everything else stays at default (automatic).

Set Max at 75c

AMD graphics performance

Your Power limit setting will throttle your card. Pull it all the way to the right.

I assume you have the computer power plan set to Performance (instead of the default 'balanced)

0 Likes
aurumvorax
Adept I

Okay, I followed your instructions and set up everything the way you pointed out.

Wattman:
4.PNG

Power management:
5.PNG

However I'm not sure whether I understand how this fixes my issue. Maybe my last post was misleading, I apologize.
I want to manually set the fan speed of my card, say at 1000rpm, so the noise is kept at an acceptable level while my card is safe from overheating. How do I do that?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

You set the settings exactly as I showed you. This engages the fan at 45c and gradually increases the rpm to keep it under the MAX temp. You do not change the fan speed.

Erase everything you changed by setting it back to default first

0 Likes
aurumvorax
Adept I

Already tried that. As I mentioned, the fan control switch in the left fan panel sets itself on "manual" once I change the "target temperature" in the right temperature panel. Even with a target temperature as low as 35°C and the current temperature almost 10°C above that, the fans do not engage.
6.PNG

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Install Hardware Monitor...run it in the background while you play a game or use a graphic intensive application. Then see what your fans are doing.

Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

0 Likes