cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

matd2100
Adept III

Non-standard/custom resolutions (BootCamp)

Since 18.4.1, custom resolutions do not appear within games. This includes even 1080p. Only some resolutions and downscale options native to the monitor are available.

Note that I am referring to the unofficial BootCamp editions of the driver of course but the bug seems to be on AMD's side as it was working ok in 18.3.4 and it appears, at least in the installation code, that the way to add them into the registry hasn't changed.

Can anyone shed any light on this?amdmatt??? ray_m I'm running 18.5.2 on my iMac 5k M295X, but note this issue is affecting all users with other machines too, including MacBook Pro.

Running the latest Windows 10 April update too.

Thanks!

0 Likes
24 Replies

Need to go to an Apple Website to get the proper drivers for your IMAC. This is one of the more popular sites for BOOTCAMP Drivers: BootcampDrivers.com

0 Likes

Appreciate the reply. I'm the one who makes those drivers btw so I'm essentially providing feedback.

0 Likes

Sorry,  You should mention that you are the author of Apple Bootcamp drivers so that AMD Moderators of AMD Forums are aware who is asking unless they already know you from the past.

There have a been a couple of users that have mentioned about either custom resolution disappearing or not available with the latest AMD Drivers installed and needed to install a previous driver to get it back again.

Looks like it is a bug in the Driver affecting some Users.

This person who has Bootcamp on his mac computer installed one of your drivers and now it is getting 1603 error. This is the thread he opened: Why is my PSVR treated as 60Hz?

I linked this thread to his so that maybe you might be able to help him with his problem.

0 Likes

Thanks for your replies.

0 Likes

Found these issues that may occur with Bootcamp Drivers in a MAC Computer: If some Mac features don't work when running Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support

0 Likes

I just got your 18.3.4 working on my Windows 10 bootcamp but right after installing 18.3.4, Steam crashed upon startup. Reinstalling Steam didn't help. At this point I've gone through so much rubbish to get the psvr working I'd just be happy to see the max fps more than 35.

0 Likes

restart your machine first

0 Likes

After rebooting and reinstalling Steam, Steam crashes after I give the email code.

0 Likes

I doubt that is GPU-driver related.

0 Likes

Actually this last time it crashed when it said "updating user configuration"

0 Likes

I'm going to try one more thing. Please let me know if this sounds good.

1) Backup data

2) Repartition (wipe everything)

3) Update Windows 10

4) Download and Update Steam

5) Restart Windows 10

6) See if Steam will open (without 18.3.4)

7) Go into safe mode and remove gpu driver

8) Install 18.3.4

9) Restart Windows 10

10) See if Steam will open

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes

Okay I just got done with all that. Before I wiped, I had big picture mode come up automatically upon startup. This time, normal Steam opens okay but Big Picture Mode (BPM) still crashes right away. I have not done anything except those 5 things. I'm going to try opening SteamVR. I can get by without BPM but I need SteamVR.

0 Likes

SteamVR Home will not open and I have seen this error "SteamVR failed to initialize for unknown reasons. (Error. Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306))"

0 Likes

Have you checked to see if Windows Mixed Reality (VR) would work on your MAC Computer or is compatible with Windows Mixed Reality (VR)?.

I was thinking maybe Windows Mixed Reality (VR) Features is needed for you to run SteamVR?

Found this STEAMVR Forum about your error: FIX - Error: Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306) - Fix & Cause Found :: SteamVR General Discu... and Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306) :: SteamVR General Discussions and https://www.vrheads.com/heres-what-every-steamvr-error-code-means and Steam Support - SteamVR - Error messages

0 Likes

Perhaps try downgrading on the gpu driver further to 18.2.2 and see how that works?

0 Likes

I'm just gonna stick with my psvr since I already have it.

The first forum had people with many displays. I'm only using two, my laptop and the psvr. I checked the forum below and it had a compelling solution but I don't know if I have a built-in gpu nor do I know how to tell the apps to prefer the amd gpu over the built-in if that's even the problem. All those users had nvidia so I still need to know how to do this in amd.

18.5.2 and 18.3.4 cause Big Picture Mode and SteamVR to crash. 18.2.2 works but I'm not sure how well. Using 18.2.2, I'm getting about 30 fps without vr and 20 with vr. My GPU is R9 M370X. Is this GPU not good enough for VR? I read somewhere that it should be good enough but my vr is way too jagged when turning. I think you need 60 fps for good vr so do I need some other drivers like for my USB, CPU, etc...? I'm close to giving up as my PS4 will be returning from Sony soon. If there is something I can try, let me know.

Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306) :: SteamVR General Discussions

0 Likes

I wouldn't bother even trying to run it. You need a Radeon Pro 580 or better as a mac equivalent card for VR ideally. Surprised you're even getting 20fps with your M370X.

0 Likes

I just found out about the external GPU option. Having two Thunderbolt 2.0 ports, am I going to be too limited for an eGPU capable of VR? Also, do you think I'll be forced to get apple version of eGPU? I know it's off topic but I couldn't find how to make a new topic.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

The last bootcamp driver we released was 17.10. Can you try that driver and let me know if you experience the same issue?

Apple Boot Camp Software Graphics Drivers

Unfortunately we cannot investigate issues relating to modified drivers.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply amdmattdmatt

I can confirm that 17.10 right up 18.3.4 do not have these issues. This includes the official 17.10.

I appreciate that you cannot investigate the drivers that I have built. However I do not even touch the .dll files. I do modify the CIMmanifest and the  Inf display driver file so that the installer provides the custom correct settings for mac amd graphics cards. So if you were to investigate this via the official PC driver I suspect the issue will be there also and worth looking into so that PC users also get a fix.

I say this because the way to add custom resolutions via the inf doesn't appear to have changed yet after 18.4.1 and onwards the result is that they are no longer available to select. This includes 1080p resolution which used to be available anyway up to 18.3.4.

0 Likes

I know the official AMD response is going to be "Use 17.10". But 18.4.1 brought about official support for Windows 10 April Update, so ideally we need an official AMD-Apple release that supports the latest version of Windows 10. Though I know Apple are slow to request such updates to be sent over from AMD.

0 Likes

Please wait for the next updated driver  and if you experience the same issue let us know and we'll investigate further.

amdmatt​ Just thought I should provide you with an update. So 18.7.1 did bring the resolutions back though they would not scale up i.e. big blackboxes around smaller resolutions. 18.8.1 does now fix this issue and the resolutions all display correctly. There are a couple of reports of ReLive not working properly with the Radeon 500 series cards and Big Picture crashing on Steam. I plan investigating this further on my own M295X this evening. Otherwise 18.8.1 is definitely the most stable release since the Windows 10 April update came out.