cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Gkirmathal
Adept II

Non resolved Black Screen GPU driver timeout crashes, on dual and single monitor setup.

Been experiencing the following symptoms on a 5600XT since 2020 on a dual monitor setup. No driver revision has ever made the GPU driver fully stable, neither without said symptoms. 

Symptoms are: intermittent Black Screen & GPU driver timeout crashes, while running Exclusive Fullscreen or Borderless Fullscreen heavy 3D applications, followed by 3D application CTD'ing and RadeonSoftware 'driver issue detection' window reporting the issue.
On a dual monitor setup, with a main high refresh rate freesync monitor and a 60Hz as secondary and also when running one monitor. Although the frequency of occurrence is lower.

Current dual monitor setup:
Primary: BenQ Mobiuz EX2510, FHD, 144Hz Freesync Premium .
Secondary: Phillips 244E, FHD, 60Hz.

Symptoms occur at random, making reproduction near impossible, sometimes it happens within 10 minutes or after a few hours. When not restarting the system, the gpu driver crashes near instantly constantly on running the same heavy 3D application or any other one.
NOTE: when PC comes out of sleep state, the black screen crash time to occurrence decreases!

Windows Event Viewer log, always similar:
Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has succesfully recovered.
Event ID: 4101

On 22.11.2 runnign both monitors on a fixed 60/60Hz refreshrate also gives intermittend gpu driver timeout crashes.
Running the BenQ as the only plugged in monitor, still gives infrequently black screen driver time out crashes, if Freesync is enabled on 144Hz.

So two questions for AMD support and driver development team:
A) is this still a gpu driver only issue?
B) is this combined issue related to Freesync and how each manufacturer inplements it in their monitor firmwares?

I have been trying to debug these symptoms for 2 years, some driver version are more stable and others much less on this issue. 22.11.2 seems on the more unstable side. Last thing I'll do is revert to 22.5.1, which quite a few claim to have been most stable.

But I'm at the end of my patience tbh and I am longing for a gpu + driver that I can rely on, which is not currently not the case. I'll keep reporting EVERY crash occurrence with the report function.

But I wanted to add this forum post to chime in with all other 5000 and 6000 series users that have had the same issue since day one with the drivers.

Current System specs:

Spoiler
MSI B450 Tom. Max, bios 7C02v3D
Ryzen 7 5700X
Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 2x8Gb 3200Mhz, BLS2K8G4D32AESBK
Sapphire Radeon RX 5600XT
Seasonic M12II Evo 750W

Hardware testing done:

Spoiler
Reseated GPU
Reseated RAM
MEMTEST, extensively tested RAM on former 3600 and current 5700X, fully error free on multipe over night runs, both XMP on/off/manual 2133Mhz/oc to 3600.
Prime95, memory stability stress testing, fully stable for 5+ hours, XMP on and oc 3600..
OCCT, VRAM stabilty test stable for 2 hours
OCCT, GPU 3D stability test, stock clocks, stable for 2 hours
OCCT, GPU 3D stability test, oc/uv profile, stable for 2 hours.
SuperPosition, letting it loop for several hours, both on stock clocks and ov/uv profile, both stable.

Software tweaks and fixes tested so far without result:

Spoiler

Clean install of Windows 10
Fully updated Windows Updates
GPU driver 22.11.2
Chipset drivers 4.11.15

Windows Disabled Multi Pane Overlay / MPO through registry.
Windows Disabled Fullscreen Optimisations / FSO through registry & environmental varible.
Windows Disabled Freesync in Settings > Display.
Windows set 60/60hz refreshrate
Disabled HW video acceleration in desktop applications, Browser, Steam, etc.
Disabled Steam Overlay

In RadeonSoftware
Disabled Metrics In-game Overlay
Disabled Freesync

5 Replies
maxielias
Journeyman III

Same here with a 6800 , random crashes, black screen , and the typical driver crash time out. 

Gkirmathal
Adept II

Update:

Reverted to 22.5.1 (ofcourse DDU'ed)

MPO and FSO disabled, this now actually worked.

Ran 5 hours of Super Position benchmark with a single monitor (BenQ Ex2510) without the driver crashing! GPU loading was good 99%.

Woke the PC from sleep state 45 minutes ago.

Plugged in the secondary monitor and set both to 8 bit full RGB. Just in case.

Started up FF on secondary monitor with HW accel disabled, only the FB tab active and GPU-z for monitoring 

Started up Fallout4, let it run IDLE at a safe spot that had high gpu load. Went into build mode as most crashes do occur on build mode. GPU loading was good 99% generating 100fps.

30 minutes in, black screen + gpu driver timeout crash happenend.

Restarted RadeonSoftware and the GPU driver with Restart64.exe from CRU.

Restarting Fallout4 did not make the driver crash instantly but the GPU load in the same spot was 40% and FPS was down to 30-40. Frequencies were maxed out though but somehow the GPU was not being loaded properly.

22.5.1 is also NOT stable for me when using 2 monitors!!

Edit: currently testing with single monitor, same steps as above to reproduce,but with virtual desktops one with FF opened. On 22.11.2 this also generated me driver crashes.

If this also crashes I will revert back further to 21.12.1. Is there any other previous driver that the community deemed stable? 

I am having the exact same issues with an RX 580. 

Also for years now. Tried everything. It's dissappointing.

0 Likes
B1GBOSS
Journeyman III

i know this post have a few months already. but yeah, same issue here

bought the card second hand from a friend, have the same issue since day one.

gotta say that for me it mostly (and with difference) happens when playing FIFA 23

i was hoping that stop using a dual monitor setup would help with the issue, but i see thats not the case

i also am using a 144 FreeSync + 60Hz monitor

GPU: Gigabyte RX 5600 XT WINDFORCE OC

Monitors:

Primary: HP X24ih

Secondary: HP 2011x

0 Likes
bimbom
Adept II

still an issue in 1/2024 with my 7900xt. i build rigs for friends and family. this impacts the type of hardware i suggest in rigs.

0 Likes