cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

raidriart
Newcomer

No driver works after 17.3.3 for 8970M M17x R2

I have an Alienware M17x R2 built in 2010 equipped with AMD Radeon 8970M Crossfire. I have tried every driver release after 17.3.3 and they all do the same thing: crash windows (BSOD) on the ati driver every time it tries to initialize hardware accelerated graphics (like windows aero). I am trying to play doom eternal using the latest driver, but like I said before, every driver after 17.3.3 has this behavior. I can provide any information and the vBIOS from both my cards to help resolve this issue. Please help. My suspicion is something chanted in wattman from 17.3.3 to later releases that is tripping a bad value somewhere causing the reboot. The system works flawlessly with every driver release from 17.3.3 and backwards.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Do you have Windows 10 or Windows 7 OS installed?

Dell doesn't have any Windows 10 drivers for your laptop which indicates your laptop may not be 100% compatible with Windows 10 installed.

For AMD generic Laptop drivers to work correctly, you must have the latest Intel Drivers installed and updated. Especially the Intel APU Graphics driver.

You might try Intel's own Driver Updater called Intel Driver Assistant.

Also your Windows OS must be fully updated via Windows Update for AMD drivers to work correctly.

Another User was also having issues with AMD latest Graphics on his laptop that the Manufacturer wouldn't support Windows 10 on it due to its age.

It is possible AMD laptop graphics drivers are not 100% compatible with your laptop and only Drivers from your Laptop manufactured year are compatible.