cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

altenbach
Adept I

Re: No Check for Updates option in AMD Radeon Settings

Thanks. Fast startup was actually disabled. However my computer never goes to sleep and there is no restart involved before the driver info randomly disappears a few hours later. (I also understand that fast startup does not apply when rebooted, just after a shutdown, which I never do)

The way I understand it, windows driver updates cannot be directly configured on windows home (that's what I have). However, we are getting warmer!

NEW observation: The drivers show fine for many hours, but as soon as I got to windows update and "check for updates", the screen flickers, "Radeon software" restarts, and the driver information has now disappeared.

The windows update log has the following odd entry:

pastedImage_2.png

(And a quick web search for that shows others with that problem (example from 3 days ago!). Note that this number is similar to the OpenGL Driver details, currently 26.20.11000.14736 but very different to all other numbers listed)

Obviously, I need to somehow prevent that installation. I'll look into your links further, maybe using the regedit method.

My windows configuration is pretty plain stock vanilla, so why would windows update even do this (apparently only on my rig and very, very few others)? Maybe this is something that could be fixed by Microsoft and/or AMD eventually.

I'll check a few more things.

altenbach
Adept I

OK, narrowed it down to Dell!

Searching for that number, it shows up in several places in the registry. Here are two of the keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\Software\DELL\ManageableUpdatePackage\AMD_MUP_PA_Dell\Version\Version]
"AMD_MUP_PA_Dell"="26.20.13002.133"

(and quite a few more, differing just by the underlined number: 0001, 0002, etc.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\amdkmdae.inf_amd64_d00f70e4b774c278\Configurations\ati2mtag_Polaris10\Driver\Software\DELL\ManageableUpdatePackage\AMD_MUP_PA_Dell\Version\Version]
"AMD_MUP_PA_Dell"="26.20.13002.133"

I wonder if this information is sufficient to fix the problem somehow?

(System is a Inspiron 5675 , Ryzen 7 1700X, Radeon RX 570)

0 Likes
altenbach
Adept I

So here's the fix I finally used. Maybe it will help others with certain Dell hardware.

(Sorry for the long delay. I just disabled windows updates, but that has ended and the problem reappeared, of course. This is "Windows Home", which has fewer direct controls. This solution is relatively easy, at least easier to the links that have been quoted by others. No regedit, no commandline, no scripting. The fix is very specific and will not prevent any other driver updates)

1. Pause windows update.
  2. Reinstall the newest Adrenalin driver doing a full reset.
  3. Download and run the special tool from microsoft found here.
  4. Select the AMD extension driver 26.20.13002.133 to exclude it from windows update (See image below). Note that it won't show if it is already installed. Only after steps 1&2 it will show because it is scheduled to be installed at the next update.
  5. Now we finally can un-pause windows update and safely update automatically again.
  6. Surprise! Windows update will no longer install that wayward driver that corrupts the Radeon software, causing it to no longer display driver information!

Here's a screenshot of the microsoft tool and a screenshot of the final tool report.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

bradly85
Journeyman III

Thank you so much for this. After hours of research, I finally came across this. Thank you for putting in the leg work, and then posting it for others. Cheers, mate.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

FYI it can still come back again on a future driver install. 

Another way to avoid this is to unplug from the internet when you install the driver. When the install process uninstalls the driver, being offline keeps Windows update from checking the online Windows repository and trying to insert it's own driver while the AMD driver is trying to install. 

Another way is to just go to services and disable the update service while installing. 

None of that would have uninstalled the problem driver that got installed once it was done, but would have stopped it had this been done to begin with. Not that any user should somehow know to do this. I am not sure why the AMD driver can't disable the windows service while installing. The nvidia driver does appear to do this. 

Good job on figuring out your issue!

altenbach
Adept I

pokester wrote:

Another way to avoid this is to unplug from the internet when you install the driver. When the install process uninstalls the driver, being offline keeps Windows update from checking the online Windows repository and trying to insert it's own driver while the AMD driver is trying to install. 

That's why I said to pause windows updates before updating the radeon driver. The driver install typically works fine and  the problem does not occur right away. In only shows hours or days later (or as soon as windows update is initiated manually). I am not sure if the quoted tool will even show the problem driver if it cannot connect to the internet and I am not going to test.  . I recommend not to deviate too much from my instructions.

pokester
MVP

I knew what you meant and was only pointing out an alternative. This has been a know issue since Windows 10 1803. It affected Nvidia at first too but they fixed their install process and you no longer have to kill or block Windows update. 

tulayh
Journeyman III

Just an FYI for anyone who still has the issue, just head over to: https://www.amd.com/en/support  and download and run the official auto-installer. 

I am on a Dell Inspiron laptop too and noticed the same issue but installing the recommended update though the installer fixed it and its not back after 2 weeks so im guessing AMD fixed it for good.

So no need for any long and complicated process now

McSuperVillan
Journeyman III

Dude, just go to this link :

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Enter your Processor details(Ryzen 7 3750H as in your case)

And even if you have installed the Radeon Software, don't do anything.......Instead, download only the RECOMMENDED  driver software(Optional driver software sometimes doesn't apply to your amd gpu and thus results in an error later that "radeon software and drivers don't match)". Run the same. It will say the you are "Downgrading" the current driver. Run the installation.
This helps in fixing the problem!

And don't forget to change your "preferred software" option from "Recommended+Optional" to "Recommended" only...
You cam find this settings in the "System" tab in "Global Settings" or the "Setting icon" at the top right corner.

"YOU WON'T GET THE UPDATE OPTION IF YOU CHANGE THE 'DRIVER_VERSION' VALUE OF THE APPLICATION IN THE REGISTRY EDITOR.........A LOT OF SITES SUGGEST THIS HACK IN ORDER TO FIX THE  'radeon software and drivers don't match' POPUP ERROR MESSAGE"...... AND BY DOING THAT, YOU ARE SACRIFICING YOUR UPDATING SETTINGS UNKNOWINGLY!!"

Hope this helps!!

0 Likes
isfanl
Journeyman III

thank you very much, this thread helps me solve my problem
one thing to note here, the special tool you mentioned, it is no longer available, so i have to find from other source.

0 Likes