Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chromb
Journeyman III

No Check for Updates option in AMD Radeon Settings

Hello

So firstly, I want to explain the scenario before the missing “Check for updates". I encountered this popup error when opening AMD Radeon Settongs (Right click on desktop) after few days of updating driver.

2 weeks ago, I updated my processor which is AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and successfully installed. I can still open AMD Radeon Settings back then and I can also see the check for updates option. But today, I can't open amd radeon settings but I manage to find a fix. I fixed this issue with the regedit fix that I have found in the internet. I can now open the AMD Radeon Settings again but I am having a hard time finding where is the “Check for updates" option. I used to see this option before but it is gone now. Is it because my driver is already up to date? or maybe the option is gone due to the Popup error I got last time?

Also my windows is already updated. 

Pls. Help thank you in advance for the answers.

41 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

It should be on the Home page right hand side.

pastedImage_1.png

It should also appear under Settings>System

pastedImage_2.png

It should show up even when you have the latest drivers.

altenbach
Adept II

(Note that I did not make any hardware changes and never have problems opening the software. Still, my symptoms agree 100% with you problem description in the subject line)

I have been experiencing the same thing for the last few weeks (same for driver 20.8.1). After using the AMD cleanup utility followed by a fresh install, the drivers show for a few hours, but disappear again later, never to be seen again. A couple of days ago I reported this via the built-in bug reporting tool, but have not heard back. I will post back if I ever get an update.

Note that the driver information and update options disappear from the home screen as well as from the driver page (gear... Software&driver). Once they disappear, they never appear again until I use the cleanup utility in safe mode followed by reinstallation. Sisyphean!

Here are screenshots comparing before and after for both instances. You can see from the driver page, that everything is identical in terms of version.

AMDMissingDriversII.png

AMDMissingDrivers.png

Update: So I did another cleanup and then installed 20.9.1 yesterday (Released 9-16-2020. How would I know that there is yet another new driver if the app doesn't tell me??? )

Even though I could not find any relevant entry in the release notes, so far it seems stable and the driver information has not disappeared yet. Looks promising! I'll post back if the problem reoccurs.

Even though it seemingly took a bit longer for the problem to reappear, the new driver did not fix the problem. See post below.

I spoke too quickly. A day after I look at the software and the driver information is again gone!

Hopefully the information sent with the error reporting tool will help pinpoint the problem.

(Are we expected to get a response when submitting with built in the bug report tool? I have not received anything so far, not even an acknowledgement ... Was submitted on 9-14-2020)

SInce I am the only one talking here, can I assume that nobody else has this problem? So what's different here? I still have not received an update from bug reporting tool submission from over a week ago... . Is this something I should expect eventually???

Note that even with the driver info missing, everything works just fine....

The problem is both cosmetic (I cannot see my driver version) and functional (there is no update option)).

I have had the exact same problem since they started this software.

Update or up-to-date are there 1 day, missing when you need it..

I have no clue on how to fix it, have had this issue for what seems like years now..

only 2 times was I able to find it and use it to get an update, I just go to website, like I have for over a decade, and pick a driver...

Wish they would get on the ball and fix this stuff...

0 Likes

My solution described in my post above from 10-07-2020 still works perfectly since applied.

Apparently, Microsoft (in their infinite wisdom!) remove the tool from their page. However, it can still be found in other places The name of the tool is "wushowhide.diagcab" and there are still a few reliable third party sites where you can get it. Just do a google search, then follow my instructions.

(Note that while this fix continues to work for me, I am not sure if the tool will still work in future windows updates. There might be a reason Microsoft no longer offers it. Still, IMHO, this is something that Dell and AMD need to ultimately fix on their end)

I just used that global settings option, or where ever it was, that turned off video from optional updates.

Will see if it works, otherwise will just keep updating off their website with a refresh every time...

0 Likes

If you do this global settings option, make sure you remember what you did as if you want to update the drivers at all, you will need to revert, and then enable that again or the driver installation will fail.

So if you cannot install drivers or update drivers after using this method, you need to be aware of this in case you wish to update or install...

0 Likes

I have the same issue I just bought a new pc and went to see if it needs updates and the updates button and window isn’t there. You have any fixes now. 

0 Likes

I just manually go to their website when the update option is gone and download latest driver pack.  Otherwise by time I need an update I will forget how to revert the changes and when you do update the update will not install unless you revert what you did, x many months ago, if you can remember, so just easier to go to their site and redownload for me...

0 Likes

Have you already fix the problem?

0 Likes

i have the same problem. i post, just wanted to increase the awareness.

for the moment i applied the solution offered here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb205

Not sure this will fix but i think it will. Yet, i don't like disabling all future device driver downloads from Microsoft at all. 

I hope AMD/Microsoftcome up with a nicer solution soon. Windows needs to identify the latest driver installed right from AMD's site as "current" and must not initiate further downloads. Period.

0 Likes

I also have this issue.... you are not alone.  Also noticed their relive option is gone?

0 Likes

can confirm, if you go to to AMD's website and download the auto detect tool and choose a fresh install with the 22.2.2 version everything is fixed.

0 Likes

Indeed i am here for this exact problem, just realized im having this issue recently and seeing what kind of info i can find

0 Likes

The reporting tool is just that..it reports the issue. If enough reports are recieved, this gets the attention of the driver support team and the problem will/should be resolved. Don't expect a dialog with AMD...just thanks for reporting it.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I had some misconceptions, confusing the bug reporting tool with actual customer service.

It takes many hours (typically overnight) for the driver info to disappear (My power settings are to never go to sleep). Since everything else works perfectly, I have given up doing the mentioned "temporary fix", because it simply does not last. I have also update all the AMD chipset drivers, but that did not help either. From now on, I'll just occasionally check the AMD site for driver updates. Hopefully others will also have this problem and report it. (Searching google there is quite a selection of similar reports dating back many years. Often a clean install is the suggested fix, but that apparently does not work for me).

Another maybe related observation is the strange thing that this morning the system tray had three AMD icons, but two disappeared when I hovered over them. Looks odd. <shrug>.

pastedImage_1.png

Nope the only way to enter into 2 way dialogue with AMD is this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Two things you could try...easy and reversible.

Disable 'fast start':

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

Have you taken the steps to prevent Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers and apps?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Windows_Update/ 

Thanks. Fast startup was actually disabled. However my computer never goes to sleep and there is no restart involved before the driver info randomly disappears a few hours later. (I also understand that fast startup does not apply when rebooted, just after a shutdown, which I never do)

The way I understand it, windows driver updates cannot be directly configured on windows home (that's what I have). However, we are getting warmer!

NEW observation: The drivers show fine for many hours, but as soon as I got to windows update and "check for updates", the screen flickers, "Radeon software" restarts, and the driver information has now disappeared.

The windows update log has the following odd entry:

pastedImage_2.png

(And a quick web search for that shows others with that problem (example from 3 days ago!). Note that this number is similar to the OpenGL Driver details, currently 26.20.11000.14736 but very different to all other numbers listed)

Obviously, I need to somehow prevent that installation. I'll look into your links further, maybe using the regedit method.

My windows configuration is pretty plain stock vanilla, so why would windows update even do this (apparently only on my rig and very, very few others)? Maybe this is something that could be fixed by Microsoft and/or AMD eventually.

I'll check a few more things.

OK, narrowed it down to Dell!

Searching for that number, it shows up in several places in the registry. Here are two of the keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\Software\DELL\ManageableUpdatePackage\AMD_MUP_PA_Dell\Version\Version]
"AMD_MUP_PA_Dell"="26.20.13002.133"

(and quite a few more, differing just by the underlined number: 0001, 0002, etc.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\amdkmdae.inf_amd64_d00f70e4b774c278\Configurations\ati2mtag_Polaris10\Driver\Software\DELL\ManageableUpdatePackage\AMD_MUP_PA_Dell\Version\Version]
"AMD_MUP_PA_Dell"="26.20.13002.133"

I wonder if this information is sufficient to fix the problem somehow?

(System is a Inspiron 5675 , Ryzen 7 1700X, Radeon RX 570)

0 Likes

So here's the fix I finally used. Maybe it will help others with certain Dell hardware.

(Sorry for the long delay. I just disabled windows updates, but that has ended and the problem reappeared, of course. This is "Windows Home", which has fewer direct controls. This solution is relatively easy, at least easier to the links that have been quoted by others. No regedit, no commandline, no scripting. The fix is very specific and will not prevent any other driver updates)

1. Pause windows update.
  2. Reinstall the newest Adrenalin driver doing a full reset.
  3. Download and run the special tool from microsoft found here.
  4. Select the AMD extension driver 26.20.13002.133 to exclude it from windows update (See image below). Note that it won't show if it is already installed. Only after steps 1&2 it will show because it is scheduled to be installed at the next update.
  5. Now we finally can un-pause windows update and safely update automatically again.
  6. Surprise! Windows update will no longer install that wayward driver that corrupts the Radeon software, causing it to no longer display driver information!

Here's a screenshot of the microsoft tool and a screenshot of the final tool report.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Thank you so much for this. After hours of research, I finally came across this. Thank you for putting in the leg work, and then posting it for others. Cheers, mate.

0 Likes

FYI it can still come back again on a future driver install. 

Another way to avoid this is to unplug from the internet when you install the driver. When the install process uninstalls the driver, being offline keeps Windows update from checking the online Windows repository and trying to insert it's own driver while the AMD driver is trying to install. 

Another way is to just go to services and disable the update service while installing. 

None of that would have uninstalled the problem driver that got installed once it was done, but would have stopped it had this been done to begin with. Not that any user should somehow know to do this. I am not sure why the AMD driver can't disable the windows service while installing. The nvidia driver does appear to do this. 

Good job on figuring out your issue!

pokester wrote:

Another way to avoid this is to unplug from the internet when you install the driver. When the install process uninstalls the driver, being offline keeps Windows update from checking the online Windows repository and trying to insert it's own driver while the AMD driver is trying to install. 

That's why I said to pause windows updates before updating the radeon driver. The driver install typically works fine and  the problem does not occur right away. In only shows hours or days later (or as soon as windows update is initiated manually). I am not sure if the quoted tool will even show the problem driver if it cannot connect to the internet and I am not going to test.  . I recommend not to deviate too much from my instructions.

I knew what you meant and was only pointing out an alternative. This has been a know issue since Windows 10 1803. It affected Nvidia at first too but they fixed their install process and you no longer have to kill or block Windows update. 

thank you very much, this thread helps me solve my problem
one thing to note here, the special tool you mentioned, it is no longer available, so i have to find from other source.

0 Likes

bro i have same issue, how to solved this problem ? i cant see option for update my driver

0 Likes

What is the special tool?

@altenbach THANK YOU very much for digging into this and finding this resolution. It worked to me as of today (06/26/21).

I just created my account to express my gratitude.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Sadly, the option laid out by altenbach didn't work for me. Followed step by step a month ago, started having stability issues and figured out drivers were downgrades by Microsoft's Windows Update. I followed once again the steps, with the nuisance that the (no longer officially available) Windows Update Show or Hide tool didn't even show hidden updates or updates to be hidden. So I proceeded with AMD's GPU-KB205 article, and I'll see how it goes. I'll figure out that once every couple of months I'll turn hardware updates on once again, and re-install AMD's drivers manually. This is quite a terrible user experiencie. 

tulayh
Journeyman III

Just an FYI for anyone who still has the issue, just head over to: https://www.amd.com/en/support  and download and run the official auto-installer. 

I am on a Dell Inspiron laptop too and noticed the same issue but installing the recommended update though the installer fixed it and its not back after 2 weeks so im guessing AMD fixed it for good.

So no need for any long and complicated process now

McSuperVillan
Journeyman III

Dude, just go to this link :

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Enter your Processor details(Ryzen 7 3750H as in your case)

And even if you have installed the Radeon Software, don't do anything.......Instead, download only the RECOMMENDED  driver software(Optional driver software sometimes doesn't apply to your amd gpu and thus results in an error later that "radeon software and drivers don't match)". Run the same. It will say the you are "Downgrading" the current driver. Run the installation.
This helps in fixing the problem!

And don't forget to change your "preferred software" option from "Recommended+Optional" to "Recommended" only...
You cam find this settings in the "System" tab in "Global Settings" or the "Setting icon" at the top right corner.

"YOU WON'T GET THE UPDATE OPTION IF YOU CHANGE THE 'DRIVER_VERSION' VALUE OF THE APPLICATION IN THE REGISTRY EDITOR.........A LOT OF SITES SUGGEST THIS HACK IN ORDER TO FIX THE  'radeon software and drivers don't match' POPUP ERROR MESSAGE"...... AND BY DOING THAT, YOU ARE SACRIFICING YOUR UPDATING SETTINGS UNKNOWINGLY!!"

Hope this helps!!

0 Likes
Sevver
Journeyman III

So i have the same **bleep** problem Sir. i did the regedit trick, that fixed it but than i couldn't see the update section anymore. So now i am stuck with all the time, reinstalling the Adrenalin software and making it auto update. than i works again for a couple of hours/days. before showing the "drivers do not match software" error. 

So with your fix until now you haven't reencountered the error again? it is completely fixed and remains showing the "update" section in the AMD software app? 

sincere regards, 

i am glad i am not the only one with this problem lol.  

0 Likes

I’m having same problem I have 2 pc 5600x with 6800xt gpu. Update is fine on Radeon software but on my other pc 5800x with 6900xt there is no update option. Try reinstalling but no luck 

0 Likes
spoonmann
Journeyman III

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb205

Fixed this problem for me. At least for now. I suggest you to change the device instalation setting back to YES after installing radeon software since you are deactivating all automatic updates for your applications.

0 Likes
jewperson
Journeyman III

we have the same problem bro since i got a laptop with a red gpu last year i've been having this problem and what i do is just reinstall everything and its kinda annoying tho thats why im seeking help of what you did ? did your radeon software stop messing around ?

0 Likes

If you were referring to me, yes, it worked, just that you have to revert in order to upgrade, but neither windows nor yourself can update the driver or make changes so Radeon would not work properly when you use the method I used,.. I just went back to installing fresh any time windows thought it had a newer driver and noticed there was no ability to check for updates within the software...  if replying to another then, they can chime in,, going to bed...

0 Likes