Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chromb
Journeyman III

No Check for Updates option in AMD Radeon Settings

Hello

So firstly, I want to explain the scenario before the missing “Check for updates". I encountered this popup error when opening AMD Radeon Settongs (Right click on desktop) after few days of updating driver.

2 weeks ago, I updated my processor which is AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and successfully installed. I can still open AMD Radeon Settings back then and I can also see the check for updates option. But today, I can't open amd radeon settings but I manage to find a fix. I fixed this issue with the regedit fix that I have found in the internet. I can now open the AMD Radeon Settings again but I am having a hard time finding where is the “Check for updates" option. I used to see this option before but it is gone now. Is it because my driver is already up to date? or maybe the option is gone due to the Popup error I got last time?

Also my windows is already updated. 

Pls. Help thank you in advance for the answers.

31 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Re: No Check for Updates option in AMD Radeon Settings

It should be on the Home page right hand side.

pastedImage_1.png

It should also appear under Settings>System

pastedImage_2.png

It should show up even when you have the latest drivers.

altenbach
Adept I

(Note that I did not make any hardware changes and never have problems opening the software. Still, my symptoms agree 100% with you problem description in the subject line)

I have been experiencing the same thing for the last few weeks (same for driver 20.8.1). After using the AMD cleanup utility followed by a fresh install, the drivers show for a few hours, but disappear again later, never to be seen again. A couple of days ago I reported this via the built-in bug reporting tool, but have not heard back. I will post back if I ever get an update.

Note that the driver information and update options disappear from the home screen as well as from the driver page (gear... Software&driver). Once they disappear, they never appear again until I use the cleanup utility in safe mode followed by reinstallation. Sisyphean!

Here are screenshots comparing before and after for both instances. You can see from the driver page, that everything is identical in terms of version.

AMDMissingDriversII.png

AMDMissingDrivers.png

altenbach
Adept I

Update: So I did another cleanup and then installed 20.9.1 yesterday (Released 9-16-2020. How would I know that there is yet another new driver if the app doesn't tell me??? )

Even though I could not find any relevant entry in the release notes, so far it seems stable and the driver information has not disappeared yet. Looks promising! I'll post back if the problem reoccurs.

Even though it seemingly took a bit longer for the problem to reappear, the new driver did not fix the problem. See post below.

altenbach
Adept I

I spoke too quickly. A day after I look at the software and the driver information is again gone!

Hopefully the information sent with the error reporting tool will help pinpoint the problem.

(Are we expected to get a response when submitting with built in the bug report tool? I have not received anything so far, not even an acknowledgement ... Was submitted on 9-14-2020)

altenbach
Adept I

SInce I am the only one talking here, can I assume that nobody else has this problem? So what's different here? I still have not received an update from bug reporting tool submission from over a week ago... . Is this something I should expect eventually???

Note that even with the driver info missing, everything works just fine....

The problem is both cosmetic (I cannot see my driver version) and functional (there is no update option)).

kingfish
MVP

The reporting tool is just that..it reports the issue. If enough reports are recieved, this gets the attention of the driver support team and the problem will/should be resolved. Don't expect a dialog with AMD...just thanks for reporting it.

altenbach
Adept I

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I had some misconceptions, confusing the bug reporting tool with actual customer service.

It takes many hours (typically overnight) for the driver info to disappear (My power settings are to never go to sleep). Since everything else works perfectly, I have given up doing the mentioned "temporary fix", because it simply does not last. I have also update all the AMD chipset drivers, but that did not help either. From now on, I'll just occasionally check the AMD site for driver updates. Hopefully others will also have this problem and report it. (Searching google there is quite a selection of similar reports dating back many years. Often a clean install is the suggested fix, but that apparently does not work for me).

Another maybe related observation is the strange thing that this morning the system tray had three AMD icons, but two disappeared when I hovered over them. Looks odd. <shrug>.

pastedImage_1.png

pokester
MVP

Nope the only way to enter into 2 way dialogue with AMD is this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

kingfish
MVP

Two things you could try...easy and reversible.

Disable 'fast start':

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

Have you taken the steps to prevent Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers and apps?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Windows_Update/