cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

angryuser1
Elite

Re: No AHCI driver exists for VEN_1022 DEV_43B7

I came here to ask which .inf file in chipset driver installer was the sata driver, because my hdds are slower than they used to be on intel, and found out that there's actually NO driver? Really? Do I understand it correctly? I expected a mistake on my part or bug in the installer, but that is just very, very weird. I literally get ~40-60MB/s copy speed between drives for larger files (above 1GB), when on z97 intel I had consistent 120-130MB/s speeds on the very same drives(It'd actually start at 300-400MB/s for a few seconds thanks to the disks cache being used, and then dropping to 100+).

I guess I wasted some money on a x370 motherboard then. I'll still recheck if it's asmedia or AMD controller that handles my drives, because I'm unsure about that, but it's still dissapointing it's not hassle free a year after release.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please see my post above, there is no .inf file, we use the in the box driver provided by the OS.

0 Likes
mockingbird
Adept II

The Linux driver is open source, the Microsoft drivers are not.

What exactly do you do when you encounter problems with the Microsoft driver?  Relying on Microsoft to write a driver for your hardware is unprofessional, not to mention poor practice.

Yes, it may have been DEV_7901.  I no longer have the systems I already took them to the customer.  I installed the pure AHCI drivers on those ports (1.3.1.277, amdsata.sys and amdxata.sys).

You really do need to get in touch with your partner ASMedia and have them release a public driver for 43B7.

0 Likes
mockingbird
Adept II

Except ASMedia releases drivers for their own SATA chips.

Their latest version is 3.2.3.0 from November of 2017.

AMD could easily ask ASMEdia to release a driver for the 43B7 pots.  Maybe they're hiding something...  Does it have something to do with the promontory exploits?

0 Likes
mockingbird
Adept II

What do all of you have to say to this?  An actual case claiming poor performance with MSAHCI and 43B7....

I didn't have time to test it when I had it, but I anticipate that I'll be building a new Ryzen system soon (this time with an SSD), so I might be able to confirm this poor result.

0 Likes
mockingbird
Adept II

You're muddying the waters of the topic at hand here with an analogy that appeals to ignorance.

SATA is a far more sophisticated interface than the serial port of olde, and the differences with regard to proprietry between the SATA controllers per each manufacturer necessitates a unique driver release for each controller.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

mockingbird wrote:

You're muddying the waters of the topic at hand here with an analogy that appeals to ignorance.

SATA is a far more sophisticated interface than the serial port of olde, and the differences with regard to proprietry between the SATA controllers per each manufacturer necessitates a unique driver release for each controller.

drivers are generally not needed for most SATA controllers and USB devices as standards are very clear with reference designs etrc

SATA came to be for an entirely new reason, the connector is designed to be plugged into a backplane for servers and RAID boxes. SATA uses one channel and SAS uses an extra 7 pins to add another channel for more bandwidth.

SATA uses the ATA version 6 command set while SAS uses the SCSI command set. SCSI is more expensive as it requires more logic on the device such as bus mastering etc.

USB is host and peripheral so its architecture is simple, while Firewire, like SCSI needs logic to handle bus mastering etc

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you experience an issue with the in the box driver you can post about it here  and we will investigate, if we can reproduce the issue we will try to resolve it.

The driver you have installed (1.3.1.277) is for Windows 7 and was last updated in 2015. We do not test or recommend using this driver with Windows 10, so if you experience issues we recommend uninstalling that driver and using the in the box driver.

mockingbird
Adept II

1.3.1.277 is not for Windows 7.  It is for Windows 8-10.

The last driver for Windows 7 was 1.2.1.402.

You are misreperesenting AMD by saying you do not recommend 1.3.1.277.

Ok, I'm going to be selling another Ryzen system soon and will run my own performance tests on 7901 vs 43B7.

0 Likes
mockingbird
Adept II

Ironic that you mention Firewire and compare it to SCSI, when in fact Firewire is the only interface out of all the ones you mention that actually almost always has drivers built into Windows for it.

0 Likes