cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

killroy2963
Adept II

Next WHQL driver??

Nvidia has put out 3 game ready WHQL drivers and 2 studio WHQL drivers, while in the same period of July to August AMD has none. Last one was June 29th, heck of a way to support your cards.

6 Replies
InkTide
Adept I

What model card do you have? AMD has been hard at work abandoning support for their R5, R7, and R9 lineups in the middle of a historic GPU shortage with record profits and adding unstable bloat to Adrenalin that has made at least my R9 390X nearly unusable (their "legacy" update, AKA the last one they will ever release, has been causing near constant driver timeout errors and made gaming basically impossible since I made the mistake of installing it, and it seems the damage might be permanent since rolling back can't seem to fix things), and Microsoft has been hard at work breaking graphical overlays in Windows 10 (and 11).

It's possible Nvidia just has a better working relationship with Microsoft, since WHQL is more Microsoft's decision I believe. Then again, their drivers have been having issues lately too on Windows.

On a positive note, it's genuinely making me consider going back to Linux.

I have a 6900 XT, I totally agree the drivers are filled with bloatware. Using the slimed down install is useless because it does not provide you with gaming profiles, which Nvidia does. AMD puts out great hardware, but they do a abhorrent job supporting it with the software. I gave AMD GPU's a fair shake, next time it's back to Nvidia for me.

bl00dm0n3y89
Journeyman III

It is a shame that a 1000$+ product does not have a descent support like at least 1 WHQL driver release per month or two... I was using 1070 TI and got a 6900 XT because of shortage of 3080 TI/3090 and now I regret it...

1. Since it is having high junction temps if I do not undervolt and underclock the card

2. Drivers are constantly resetting wattman settings, because of errors, even on default profile

This is for sure the last time I go with AMD for GPU never ever had such issues with NVIDIA.

Adept III

I totally agree 

0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

I was pretty happy first few months with my 6900 XT now i just regret it, and i honestly hate Nvidia even more so this is frustating to me, if always had problems with gsync, compared to what i got with AMD freesync works a lot better, but now i cant even do a video call without crashing unless i stick with 22.5.1 drivers new features that should've been there already 1 year ago i still cannot use which sucks.

With Nvidia least had stable drivers monthly and usually 2 times a month sometimes to.

Last recommended driver right now is from may.... did something go wrong is AMD working on something else forgetting about current users ?

Adept III

I am just waiting for WHQL so i can trade my rx 6600xt for a rtx 3060 with my friend 

0 Likes