cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hubwood
Adept I

Newest Radeon Adrenalin update brakes MSI Alpha 15 A3DD completely!

This information will be posted to MSI and AMD.

Today I recieved a brand new MSI Alpha 15 A3DD (120Hz Monitor) with a RX5500m.
When trying to update the Display driver to the newest version available from AMD (after running all windows updates first), the Laptop didn't boot into windows anymore, and the only thing that helped was to FACTORY reset it!
Not even using the automatically created restored point worked anymore.

After that I tried to install the new drivers BEFORE updating windows. Same result. But this time, I made a manual restore point which I could succesfully use after it didn't boot up into windows anymore. (Causes Blue Screens of Death)

Version I tried to install: Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1 from ( released 02. December / 2019).
Version it says is installed: 19.30.31.01 (sounds higher than the one I downloaded, I know... ?)

Just wanted to inform you and see if others have the same problem.
I mean, this is the ONLY available laptop with a rx5500m as of today.

132 Replies

Awesome news! Gonna install it right away! 

0 Likes

New BIOS : E16U6AMS.111
Release Date : 2020/07/30

1. Improve system stability.

0 Likes

How's the new driver behaving overall? No BSODs after the last message? I'm not moving to it just cause I'm afraid that could stutter my work which is completely online. So, is it "safe" to go for the 20.5.1?

0 Likes
nonudian
Journeyman III

Hello guys, 

Sorry for my poor english.

I also updated graphics driver to the latest existing version from AMD website (20.5.1) in order to play recent games (MHWorld), but since I'm encountering black screens at start-up that surely crashes, and I can't access to login interface anymore. I precise that before I did this update, I cleaned up all old versions of AMD graphics driver, and I blocked windows installing few updates (that tries to install MSI graphics driver version that's not compatible with recent games).

Sometimes that finally (and so magically I think) loads well and displays me the login, otherwise I have to force the shutdown and turn on the laptop several times to access the login page, that's not very cool...

I opened a ticket to MSI (but no answer from them yet) because I think the latest AMD graphics driver version is not really fit with the windows configuration done by MSI, or is not entirely modified by MSI to do the job well like their latest AMD-modified version (19.30.31.24) available on their website.

What do you think?

Did you resolve the issue from your side now?

Hello there. Seems like you we can't do much right now and I'm not even sure they'll make a fresh driver available as the official one for the laptop. Just stick with the one MSI provided just for now and let's wait for a fresher one. That is unfortunate but appears to be the only choice so far.

0 Likes
alexrivus
Adept II

So...Any luck with Adrenalin 2020 yet?  

0 Likes
masutapanda
Journeyman III

I just got an Alpha 15 and there's a "DriverCD (D:)" with drivers in it.

In this folder, CDSetup.exe installs all drivers and utility softwares. 

Radeon Settings Lite and Dragon Center failed to install and now launching Radeon Settings lite freezes the computer (sound still works) and only resumes after forcing it into sleep mode.
When opening Dragon Center it is stuck in "waiting for SDK initialization".

I've had once a "0xA0000006" error message but no BSOD.

BIOS : E16U6AMS.10C

GPU Pilot : 26.20.13031.1002

0 Likes

Update all the stuff from the official website Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider | MSI Global. Everything should work fine after that.

0 Likes
alexrivus
Adept II

Just wanted to thank all of you guys for supporting each other. The laptop is finally working perfectly well with the last updates. Nice piece of machinery after all.

Wow what a long journey. Glad it is over. Hope it stays that way! 

Happy Gaming!

pseudo555
Adept III

Fyi, i got bios 112 (111 on msi website, so don't know what's the changelog)

And there is a new vga driver posted today: 27.20.1023.7001

0 Likes

New vga driver published (27.20.1023.8001), but the link currently doesn't work... 

Once again, this version is unknown from amd side or the internet, so chanelog is unknown.

0 Likes

Link is now fixed.

0 Likes