System type - Desktop
OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit  Version 10.0 Build 17134 Service Pack 0.0
GFX Driver - Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1
Display - Samsung U28E590 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP Cable
Motherboard - MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X BIOS: 2.50
CPU - Intel i5 6600K
PSU - EVGA Super Nova 750 G2 - 750 Watts
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengence LED

Everything seems to run fine. No issues with other apps. The issue I am having is that after updating the Radeon Software to the newest versions, the settings continues to crash. There are no warnings or notifications on the crash, but when I right click the desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings, it will show in the system tray and then disappear when I move the mouse over it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling direct download of the 19.1.1 Optional drivers
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling direct download of the 18.12.2 drivers
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling direct download of the Auto-Detect Installer (Which installed the 19.1.1 Optional drivers)
Using DDU to clean the system and then tried the Auto-Detect Installer again

I believe I was on the 18.9.3 version as I updated not too long ago.

This normally wouldn't be an issue, but it would be nice to still control settings of the card within the AMD app and I am not sure what other issues may be caused from the app continuously crashing without warning or notice of any kind. I use my computer for both work and play, and do not need the system randomly shutting down if the issue worsens.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Solution
jastnorn
Adept I

Fixed it.

Installed by using the Clean install option. System rebooted into some odd boot loop with nothing on the screen. Powered down fully and then it turned on fine.

Auto launcher came up and installed the 19.1.1 drivers and asked for a reboot. I complied with it and once rebooted there were no Radeon Settings installed.

Found the folder C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install and ran the installer there. Works so far.

I missed you Freesync.

Thank you to all for the help!

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you updated from 18.9.3, it is usually best to clean install to the new Annual update, have you tried using the custom clean install option in the installer from the downloaded/saved driver pack ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

So I did that and now somehow (without my help) the system has Radeon Software 17.1.1 installed. But the new driver installer does not show the software installed. Screen shot below is of both programs open at the same time.

Control panel also shows it installed.

I am sure at this point, I should either call the Ghostbusters for the ghost in my system or doing a fresh install of windows would clear it up, but I don't want to do either.

How would I remove everything installed?

Safe mode and then manually delete the drivers?

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Windows update did an override of the driver.

You will have to disconnect/disable/unplug your router/ip device before you start uninstall/install.

And not download through the installer, do a manual download/save of the full driver pack direct from amd driver page.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Tried this to no avail.

Started by unplugging my ethernet cable. As per my reply above the full installer of 19.1.1 did not see the installation of the software so I used DDU. DDU said it did not detect Safe Mode, so I restarted in to Safe Mode for full effectiveness of the software.

I ran DDU and restarted. I then had some 1990's screen resolution and continued with the install of the 19.1.1 drivers.

After the install completed, it asked if I wanted to install Relive, so I did. This prompted a restart and I did as the software requested.

Once booted up, I clicked on the settings and they disappeared. I figured this would happen and restarted again. Same result as before.

Everything has been done up to this point and nothing seems to resolve the issue as of yet.

I feel as if a clean install of Windows would work, but wouldn't truly solve the issue as it would not determine the solution for others who may have it and they do not want to/cannot re-install windows.

0 Likes

Where are you trying to open radeon settings from, Context menu, Start menu. System tray.

Are you on Desktop screen or is a web page, etc. open.

Does windows reliability history monitor show any failed driver component.

0 Likes
cplifj
Elite

Make sure to uninstall everything amd, meaning the amd software, any drivers left in windows device manager ( you want it to show basic display driver for the amd card ), run the latest DDU (twice is better than once) , optionally running Privazer to clean your system(drive).   MAKE sure your internetconnection is diconnected during this procedure or windows update will download old amd drivers while cleaning.

Reboot and install AMD drivers.

0 Likes
jastnorn
Adept I

Fixed it.

Installed by using the Clean install option. System rebooted into some odd boot loop with nothing on the screen. Powered down fully and then it turned on fine.

Auto launcher came up and installed the 19.1.1 drivers and asked for a reboot. I complied with it and once rebooted there were no Radeon Settings installed.

Found the folder C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install and ran the installer there. Works so far.

I missed you Freesync.

Thank you to all for the help!

bule
Adept I

Hi all,

I have the same problem...

ASUS prime x470 pro

Ryzen 7 2700x

Hyper Predator 16GB 3200

Samsung Evo 500GB

Corsair 650W gold+

I used my old graphic card XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB for a month with some old drivers that actually support that card. With no problems and crashing, I played Witcher III and a few other games and then I got Sapphire Nitro+ RX590 8GB.

I removed old drivers with DDU in safe mode, put new GPU in case, installed the latest drivers (19.9.2.) and the nightmare begins...

Games crashing after 5-30mins, black screen, puts me back to the desktop, sounds still working so I need to kill it in Tasks.

Try to get into Wattman to see what is going on but the driver isn't responding for 10min or so.

I did try installing old drivers with the same results.

Played a little bit with Wattman settings but every time game crashes drivers go back to default settings.

So basically now  I'm stucked with this GPU and more I read about this topic there isn't a solution or am I missing something?

Also, is it LEGIT to sell hardware if you cant provide stable drivers for it?

This really sucks and someone should get punched in the face! I lost a lot of time trying to solve this and my time isn't free.

If anybody sees a solution please let me know, i'll buy you a beer and we can trash talk AMD!

0 Likes