Just built a new machine, specs below; There's a couple small things that aren't working right, and one is definitely video card driver-related.
Gigabyte Z690 UD DD4
Intel i5-13600K Raptor Lake 3.5 Ghz
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
ASRock Challenger Radeon RX 6650 XT 8GB
Samsung 990 PRO M.2 2280 1TB SSD - OS/boot drive
2x Samsung 990 PRO M.2 2280 2TB SSD - running mobo-supported RAID1, storage only
Asus PCE-AX58BT Wifi Card
Cooler Master N400 case
Corsair RMx Series RM850x PSU
Win10 Pro 64-bit
(FYI the other "minor" issues I'm trying to resolve are that the SATA DVD drive is only recognized sometimes & that the Intel Optane SW setup the storage drives in RAID successfully, and recognizes them as such, but won't let me create an actual Optane pairing with them. Doubt they're related but listing just in case.)
Been trying to research on my own, and found alot of similar issues to me, but seemingly little for what exactly I'm experiencing. So here's a summary of what seems to be unique & what I've tried to troubleshoot so far on my own.
- My machine either freezes, or only partially returns from, anytime the screen is off, but not fully powered off, and is turned back on by me triggering Windows to do so. I worded it like this because it's NOT only waking up from sleep, as many other similar issues have. I have the screen set to turn off after 15 min, and if that happens (without ever going to sleep), it even freezes when I try to turn the screen back on via mouse or keyboard
- Sometimes it only turns back on to a blank black screen. Sometimes it freezes on the Windows startup/login background blue-background-color screen (but not lock screen wallpaper). Sometimes it displays the lock screen (time & date shown). Sometimes it displays the lock screen wallpaper, but no time/date/PIN field shown BUT the mouse still moves (so, not frozen). Sometimes it even lets me type my PIN in but then freezes trying to log in.
- I tried turning off the lock screen altogther, and it still would freeze during loading my desktop.
- If I enable "basic video" in msconfig, the issue does NOT exist. Turning back on from sleep works fine then. So it's definitely pointing toward drivers. (if I uninstall all AMD-specific video card drivers, the default Win10 driver doesn't allow sleep, so I haven't tested the issue under that driver - but I should try the screen-off scenario. I'll do that and reply to my message here shortly)
- This first occurred by the default driver Win10 came with/pulled from MS, which is dated 4/28/22. I've tried the latest from AMD, 23.3.1 Adrenalin, no change. I saw 22.11.2 Adrenalin seemed to be more stable for sleep issues, so I tried that, no change.
- Confirmed I have the latest BIOS and other mobo drivers (first thing I did after turning this thing on for the first time)
- Fast Startup & hybrid sleep turned off (but those shouldn't affect the times when I'm just trying to turn the screen back on)
- Tried turning off ULPS, no change
I'm at a bit of a loss now, not sure what direction to head next, so hoping I've given enough info, and hoping someone has some idea what's going on with my machine.
Thanks in advance! If you need more info, just let me know.
- Edit: default Win10 drivers were 4/28 not 6/28
- Update: As promised, I installed the default Win10 graphics driver again (the one w/ no sleep support) and just let the screen turn off after its 15min timeout, and then turned it back on via mouse/keyboard after letting it sit. No issue - it comes back to life without issue.
Hi, bumping my thread!