cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

barszczu122
Adept II

New Agesa 1.0.0.6 from 2020 can update for 1st gen. Ryzen?

hello i have MSI B450m Mortar Max with ryzen 3 1200 my Current bios is v26, when i upgrade to v27 it's not good for my ryzen 3 1200, many program doesn't work, so i back to v26 now i see 2-3months ago MSI realese new bios v28 with agesa 1.0.0.6 with improve memory, can i upgrade? can't find any information about for wich is new bios ryzen 3xxx or 1xxx? can someone help me?

0 Likes
5 Replies

should be fine. the bios you have to watch out for is the 4000 series update, which completely drops ryzen 1st gen. everything should be labeled. just make sure you pick the correct board to update, since some boards have similar names across chipset versions. like VI then VII / VIII.

I have heard some bios updates might drop overclocking functions for older chips, but most people don't use it, and improved memory performance is more important with ryzen. You generally want to hit 3200mhz with Ryzen 1, but you can only do it with 2 sticks that are single bank. So basically dual channel 16 GB, and anything more will have performance drops. It also works best with Samsung "B die", and XMP doesn't always set the best timings 100% either, but XMP is better than jedec defaults.

Motherboard / Ram issues are something you should search motherboard forums and reddit for. This isn't the correct forum for it, if you want more detailed help with your specific hardware.

I agree it is a pita with the poor bios quality, but this is how AMD has rolled out ryzen, and the 3000 series is just as bad with properly working boost clocks. Only the 2000 series seems to have ever been a decent OOTB experience, and that's because it was a bug fix for ryzen 1000. The 3000 XT CPUs are also a bug fix for ryzen 3000. Sad, but this is how it is.

You can take it even further with power profiles, as windows actually requires the AMD chipset / power profile drivers to work correctly, and there are community profiles that work better than AMD's, especially with Ryzen 3000. I can't give you a straight answer, because there isn't enough information here to say anything specific, and I have no experience with that board. Only that you need to properly research what the problem is before you can solve anything, and there are better resources elsewhere.

i just upgrade my memory from patriot viper 4 3000 2x4 to G.skill Aegis 3000 2x8gb and i want to push them to 2993 my last memory stack on 2400mhz, that is the reason why i ask about new bios becouse new agesa can help me, but i afraid if i update bios my PC doesn't turn on becouse i have ryzen 1st gen,

0 Likes

Not how it works. There's only one way the update wouldn't work, and that's if the update is specifically for Ryzen 4000, which isn't out yet, and IDK if that board will even get support for it. The update notes should tell you everything.

Your only REAL issue would be booting with settings meant for the viper memory on the Aegis memory, which likely would work anyway, being the same speed rating. Even if it didn't, the board would reset itself into safe mode. (Most likely) Updating Bios also will also clear CMOS and force you to reconfigure bios settings. (including starting boot drive for windows, if multi-drive.) If you update, you need to reconfigure any setting that wasn't previously factory default.

Either way, you need to go into bios and enable XMP or you will just boot 2400 by default. That is an absolute requirement to get the ram manufacturer's rated speed. Also, if the ram is high quality enough, you can probably overclock those sticks to 3200.

You mentioned running those Viper 3000 @ 2400. That's STANDARD DDR Mhz speed by default, and there isn't any DDR that will clock higher without enabling XMP. Technically, you can set every RAM variable manually, but I doubt you know how to do that. Enabling XMP is what you have to do. It doesn't matter what bios version you have, and the newer bioses are geared more for supporting 3600Mhz+, which you don't have. There are some benefits to an update, including bug-fixes, but spec-wise your system doesn't require an update, just turning on XMP, which sounds like it wasn't enabled with your previous memory. If you don't enable XMP, you will get 2400 Mhz with your new ram sticks too. That will work, but it won't get the extra speed. Also, as a side note, RAM requires higher voltage at higher mhz, and must be set according to the rating on the box. It might not be required on every motherboard, but for the most part I think it is, or at least should be done anyway to be sure. Setting RAM speeds is not plug n play, there is a minimum level of configuring, which is voltage and XMP.

0 Likes

I know how set memory in the bios, how overclock. I spent 3 weeks and test everything with my viper 4, manually set timings,speed, everything set more voltage on memory and cpu SOC everything, my last motheboard was a320 asrock dvs r3 and i get MSI b450m Mortar Max on a320 same problem only 2400, maybe memory problem, maybe CPU cant hold (controller) i read G.skill have calculator so i use and all is compatibility, we will se. Maybe for now i just stay on this bios, i dont have any issue all stabillity, but no memory, Maybe new memory will be improve more speed, if no i have good upgrade from 8gb to 16gb, next will be CPU upgrade but i wait for ryzen 4xxx.

0 Likes

Don't change CPU voltage past auto, that screws things up, especially since Ryzen uses dynamic voltage. You don't need to manually configure every timing, just set ram voltage according to box, and enable XMP.

If that doesn't work, you can do a bios update, but it's also likely the CPU memory controller is garbage and won't clock past official spec. Ryzen 3 1200 is pretty much bottom of the barrel for quality. You might be able to get a cheap upgrade like a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is a rebranded 2600x, or just a 2600x, which is probably the best price/perf Ryzen CPU.

Ryzen 1000 series only officially support 2667 Mhz, while the 2000 series support 2933, and the 3000 series support 3200. Official support doesn't mean you can't go higher, but it does mean those are the minimum specs, and bad controllers might be stuck there. I would recommend trying 2667 with XMP enabled, which would actually be a "downclock", but still faster than 2400, and within official memory controller spec. Don't use that stupid calculator, because it always sets ram sticks with unsafe timings, unless you really know how to read between the lines and use the safe presets. XMP works far better, because those timings are set by the manufacturer. The calculator just guesses, and those guesses are often wrong. If you want it to work, reset everything to auto, then enable XMP+voltage.

As a side note, 1.0.0.6 is probably the most stable update I've used, but it's optimized more for ryzen 3000, which 1.0.0.3 ABBA is also good (especially overclocks). Older versions like 1.0.0.2 are more for the older CPUs, but that doesn't mean newer versions won't give you stability upgrades. Up to you, but it's not something to be afraid of either way.

0 Likes