cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

noobgamer0111
Adept II

Need help - Code 31 and whole host of other issues.

Hello all,

My dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon HD 7730M, dGPU) refuses to work in my Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE. On Device Manager is says Code 31 and displays the name as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The error message states:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

pastedImage_3.png

I've already used DDU, AMD's cleanup utility and used the r/AMD post tip on the new drivers solving an OEM laptop issue. I ticked the "factory reset" box in the Radeon software installer.

All attempts to apply the drivers to the dGPU has resulted in an Inaccessible boot device BSOD. It has been noted that the entire screen freezes. There is no movement of the mouse or system clock. The machine remains on with the fans running.

This has also been seen with other machines that have hybrid graphics i.e. an Integrated and a dedicated GPU and Win 10 1909. Hopefully, the 2004 update will fix it.

My thoughts is there some kind of issue with the driver versions for the saved driver versions in the registry, or the AMD driver is installing to the Intel integrated GPU or the GPU is FUBAR.

I've been dealing with it since December 2019.

Specs: Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE (launched April 2012, now 8 years old!)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3612QM @ 2.10GHz (QM= Quad core, mobile).

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, SODIMM

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: AMD Radeon HD 7730M (2GB VRAM)

Full specs and details: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-se...

I just want to play MW2 again at 85 FPS.

1 Solution
noobgamer0111
Adept II

Hey guys and gals, Noobgamer0111 here!

I'm deliberately reviving this discussion for a final update on my laptop.

I've learned to accept that this dGPU is not going to ever be revived. It's been more than 8 years since this laptop was purchased by my brother, and more than 6 years since my warranty expired. This dGPU ran hot and loud for several years, powering both my brother's and my own gaming adventures.

I'm putting the blame on both myself and my brother for firstly running this laptop at its maximum temps for several hours and Dell for putting such a sad excuse of a cooling solution (There are only two heat pipes and single fan trying to cool both the AMD GPU and the Intel CPU/iGPU).

I have since updated this laptop to Windows 10 Version 20H2 (build number: 19042.804). Any attempts to try and install AMD or OEM drivers have proved futile. I had to use the Windows Update Show/Hide tool (wushowhide.diagcab) to block any WU for my GPU to avoid my computer boot-looping as the Updates would freeze my laptop.

In a few years from now after I've completed my degree, I'll purchase my first own desktop machine. At this rate, I'll probably be buying AMD-CPU and Nvidia-GPU combination since AMD GPUs have been a bad experience for me.

View solution in original post

36 Replies