cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PlusNine
Journeyman III

My RX 580 doesn't work correctly on initial boot

Hello, I have been having this issue for a few months now and I'm at my wit's end with what to do about this. I got an RX 580 from a friend for a new computer build, and this new build has not ever been able to find DirectX on initial boot and I've tried everything I could think of to fix it. Reinstalling DirectX did nothing, reinstalling the GPU drivers did nothing. Even reinstalling the OS and trying to update every driver I could find, including the NVMe firmware, and reinstalling the main drivers after all of this still does nothing to change this behavior. I would really like to know why DirectX is not working correctly without a reboot, I've been having to restart my computer just to play games or do anything that requires DirectX for months now.

Specs:

MSI B450-A PRO MAX

Ryzen 7 2700X

Gigabyte RX 580 4GB

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe drive

0 Likes
5 Replies

run and upload an image of GPU-Z showing the data for your RX580 GPU card.

At the same time you need to post your Computer information including AMD driver and Windows version installed.

0 Likes
EDOD
Adept I

It sounds like a BIOS issue to me. 

Look for video tutorials on how to update the BIOS of your graphics card. In those videos you will also usually find ways to back up your current bios in case anything goes wrong, and you will be told all the necessary warnings. 

0 Likes

So I've updated my VBios for my GPU and nothing has changed. Even trying to reinstall DirectX after the fact doesn't help, as it says I already have DirectX installed, which is perplexing because the system can't seem to find it when I try to launch a game, and I'm still constantly getting a "Your computer does not support this version of DirectX" message from any game until I reboot my computer. Is there anything else I could possible do? Also I've included a screenshot of GPU-Z running on my Desktop to give some diagnostic information.

Capture.PNG

0 Likes

By your GPU-Z image it shows that AMD Driver seems to be installed and working correctly. All the APIs at the bottom of the image is correctly check marked.

Plus it shows you have the latest AMD driver installed and it supports DirectX-12 (12.0).

So most likely it is a Windows issue.

Found these website on some troubleshooting tips on resolving your specific error concerning DirectX: https://windowsreport.com/directx-not-compatible-version-windows/

also https://windowsreport.com/reinstall-directx-12/

Note: Run DXDIAG.exe and "Save All Information" and upload it. When DXDIAG finishes running also check to see if DX12 is enabled or showing like mine:

Screenshot 2021-04-30 164028.png

My DXDIAG shows that my OS supports DirectX 12.

EDIT: As a last resort you can try a Windows 10 Ingrade Repair by running a Windows 10 Installation (Same version you have currently installed) from your Windows 10 Desktop.

You can go directly to Microsoft Windows webpage and start the Ingrade Repair by simply downloading Windows 10 directly from the website from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Only if you have the latest Windows 10 version installed. Otherwise using this method you will be upgrading your Windows 10 version to the latest version instead of a Ingrade Repair. But same as a Ingrade Repair where all your 3rd party apps will be transferred including configurations.

This will reinstall a new Windows Folder with all your 3rd party Apps and configurations installed.

IF THE ABOVE LINKS TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS FOR FIXING YOUR ERROR DOESN'T WORK.

0 Likes

So updating the Vbios didn't work, I see. 

The next I'd try would be to update the motherboard's bios. A good way to discard where the problem is would be to take the GPU off and test it in another rig. If the problem doesn't happen in that other rig, then the motherboard could be causing the problem. Disclaimer: updating the MoBo's bios comprises the same risks as updating the gpu bios.

0 Likes