Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

My monitor supports 10bit but cannot be enabled in Radeon setting

CPU: 2700X

MB:MSI X470 Carbon

GPU :R9 390

monitor: benq ew3270u

i get a new PC

In the beginning, Microsoft installed the driver for version 17.1.1 for me.

In the 17.1.1 driver, my monitor supports 10bit, and windows also tells me that it is 10bit.

I then updated my driver to version 19.1.2.
I found that my monitor can only choose 6bit and 8bit, no longer have 10bit options.

Windows also told me that my monitor is 8bit

How can I solve this problem?

thank you 

69 Replies
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: My monitor supports 10bit but cannot be enabled in Radeon setting

Most likely you have already done this, but have you installed the Monitors latest Driver from Benq: https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/downloads-faq/products/monitor/ew3270u/software-driver.html 

From Benq Support downloaded Resolution File and shows this concerning 10 bit:

thank you for your reply
I have updated the driver for my monitor.
But still can't enable 10bit in AMD Radeon Settings
I confirm that I use DP1.2 to connect my graphics card to my monitor.

0 Kudos

Also I can't adjust the color space in my AMD Radeon settings.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Since you mentioned it worked in a older previous AMD Driver and not the latest, pretty much indicates there is a bug concerning 10bit color.

Some Users have reported similar issues such as this old thread also using Benq monitors (one of them): https://community.amd.com/message/2819510?q=10%20bit 

Also this thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2791072?commentID=2791072#comment-2791072?q=10%20bit 

Correct Answer

Yes, but the software and display must support 10 bit, and the application (ie photoshop etc) MUST be running in exclusive full screen mode, otherwise it will render in 8 bit.

I would suggest opening an Online AMD Service Request and see what they say: Online Service Request | AMD 

From older AMD Threads it seems like you can change the 10 bit color but it is only on the Professional GPU card drivers. Not sure about the Consumer GPU drivers.

EDIT: Found this AMD 10 BIT PDF you might want to take a look at. I attached it to this post. just click on it to download. Really not sure if it will help you are not but it does explain about 10 bit on AMD GPUs.

I used a Philips monitor before, the video card is vega
I can confirm that the red radeon settings have 10bit support.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Just so happens someone using a Pro GPU card was having a similar issue about 10 bit. This thread is currently running at "General Discussion": How do you get the WX 5100 to use 10-bit? 

This is a comment the User made today in the thread:

Just realized I made a mistake in my comment above. I DID find another way to achieve 10-bit color. It was by reducing the monitor refresh rate from 60Hz down to 30Hz. At the lower refresh rate, both BenQ monitors will go into 10 bpc mode. The problem with that is 30Hz is so low that I can see the mouse pointer jump from one location to the next as I move it across the screen rather than the continuous motion I experience at 60Hz. It's also very laggy making the computer feel very slow and making accurate cursor placement difficult. YMMV.

In fact, I want to know why 10bit can be enabled in 17.1.1, but not in 19.1.2.

I found something very interesting. When I lowered the screen refresh rate to 30Hz, I could even enable 12bit.
But 60Hz does not select 10bit.
I tried to contact the support of benq.
Benq's support suggests that I install an older version of the driver

In addition, I think the bottleneck should be on the graphics card.
DP 1.2 should be able to support 4k 60 10bit

0 Kudos