cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GoLLuM13
Adept III

my memory overclock / XMP no longer stable since updating my BIOS from ageesa 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.7

Hello,
I would like to report an issue that started with AGESA 1.2.0.5 and continues with AGESA 1.2.0.6 and 1.2.0.7 for Ryzen 3000 CPU owners.
Currently, I have BIOS 3801 based on AGESA 1.2.0.3 and SMU version for Matisse (Ryzen 3000) processors is 46.71.0.
On this BIOS version everything works as it should (apart from the fTPM problem with Windows 11 which causes a stutter supposed to be fixed with AGESA 1.2.0.7).
Since BIOS version 3904 (i.e. 3904 - 4002 - 4006 and 4201) the AGESA has gone from 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.5 then 1.2.0.6 and finally 1.2.0.7 and the SMU for the Matisse CPU (Ryzen 3000) is increased from 46.71. 0 to 46.72.0 and from this version (AGESA and/or SMU) it is almost impossible to start or restart the computer without Q-Code error, black screen, BSOD, as soon as the DOCP profile is activated or the memory frequency is set manually. The only way to make the BIOS based on these AGESA versions work is to leave the RAM frequency on "default" which is not ideal because in my case for example it means 2133 Mhz.
Of course, reverting to an earlier BIOS like the 3801 (which I'm currently using) fixes the issues instantly.
I did some memtests and other tests, the problem is not with my hardware. I researched various forums (including Asus and MSI) and found that this is a common problem among owners of Ryzen 3000 processors and an X570 motherboard or B550. I even saw a person having the same problem, who solved the problem by changing their Ryzen 3000 pro processor to a Ryzen 5000.
So, I really hope this is not a trick from AMD to let Ryzen 3000 users down, and you will do something about it.
PS: I have already contacted Asus support, they have already offered me several solutions, none have worked, and none will work as long as it is a problem within the AGESA, and it comes from you.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 2* Corsair Vengeance RT 16 GB 3600 C16 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB
1 Solution
GoLLuM13
Adept III

My problem seems to be solved thanks to Asus. They promised, and they delivered, it's been almost 5 days now that I'm using a modified BIOS specially made for my board and Corsair RAMs, and it's 100% functional, no problem whatsoever so far. I'd like to thank Asus for the hard work and Corsair for borrowing memory sticks to them. I hope they will publicly release it and make it work with more models.

Conclusion :
Even if there were 0 doubt about it unlike what some people said, it wasn't a memory issue, it was a BIOS issue like I stated before. Nothing to have with die model, memory brand or motherboard brand, everything was compatible and functional. If Asus and Corsair proved me something is that, they care and as a customer that's all what I ask for. I hope AMD will find a solution that they can share with other brands too. Thank you to all the people that shared their feedbacks and have been patient.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 2* Corsair Vengeance RT 16 GB 3600 C16 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB

View solution in original post

122 Replies

Thank you for all the information you brought, I hope it will help others too

0 Likes
renesdk
Adept II

I've been running the AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.A based MSI BIOS since it was released. Still can't touch anything memory related or it'll blue screen. Still have to run anything memory at complete default settings, so 21xx MHz instead of 3200.
So still no fix for memory stability issues on the 3xxx-series of CPU's.

I just looked at latest AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.B based BIOS and no updates to the 3xxx series AGESA, so I doubt we'll see anymore fixes.

This platform is dead to me unfortunatly and I'll let it run 'as is' until I buy a new one at some point.
I'm sad that a system I was happy with for over 2 years, being one of the most stable platforms I've run for years, ended up being this much of a **bleep** show in the end. I can only note it down to AMD still sucking at the software side of things just as they have since forever.

--- MSI X570-A PRO * AMD Ryzen 3700X * 32 GB (4x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR-3200 * Noctua NH-U12S * Inno3D iChill GTX 1070 X4 * Seasonic X-850 * Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 * Win 11 Pro

@renesdkI totally understand you and share the exact same feeling, it was kinda great when it was working for quite some time, but when problems started, it was very frustrating. I'm also saving to buy a new platform and I really doubt I'll go back for an AMD, I've been so disappointed